A Better President Shield…

The Spanner said:
Could be a bad memory?

No offence, but that is just stupid.

Winning a gold medal is a great memory for a sportsperson. It means you are part of the best team in the whole competition. It is something to be treasured.

And im sick of you putting down what we as a team achieved. The team worked very hard to achieve gold and you saying it is a piece of tin etc i find very offensive.

We were the best team there, we all put 100% into everything we did and earned that gold medal. For you to disrespect it i think is a bit rich.

I have nothing more to add on this topic as i have stated everything that i wanted too.

Brad Mattsson

i think this arguement has gone on long enough.. unless the kids them self complain this is pointless, they have many years left infront of them and just because they didnt get many games doesnt mean they haven't gained something from their trip! They have had an example left in front of them its their turn next year to use that to the best of their ability! TO have bowled people such as Matt Knaffa, Dion Alexander, Steven Cowland, Michael Mc Donald, Brady Pirie, Matt sing is a great experience to have gone through!! Dont try and make their trip negative... congratulate them for making their team and representing their state!!!

Krystal

I suppose one of the issues is whether the parents of that child are prepared to fund their kid next time at President's Shield.

I for one would certainly be hesitant to fund my child's trip to President's Shield the next year if he/she only bowled a handful of games during the tournament.

I know I may get crucified for saying this but perhaps parents would continue to fund (if the current system continued in President's Shield) their kids if they received money back on the lack of games that their kids did not play and those who played more than their fair share, would have to pay the deficit. I think this topic is very important for parents as I would assume that it would be them who are "footing the bill".

Just a thought.

as much as the parents are 'footing the bill' it does not go to imply the kids actually bowling out there are completely ignorant to the hard facts of life. Sure there are always bills to pay or money to spend on something, BUT the only arguement i'm hearing is that money is the only reason the format should be changed.

So then, why is it that year after year we see the best juniors across the country, funded or not funded by their parents, spend the couple of thousand dollars to compete? No one is forcing the parents to pay up, and as much as there may be the occasional who won't pay up the next year, there is still strong competition.

Changing something would imply it needs improvement. And yet by changing shield to what is suggested, wouldn't improve, infact it would lower the standard of the bowling, because those who are sitting out are sitting out for a reason. Having the level of competition that is out there only encourages all the juniors in the country to strive to be the best they can be. How can we complain about that? Not only does that see the standard of shield remain, it sees those who age out prove their ability as a youth, and eventually, an adult.

The piece of tin that i've been lucky enough to have won with my team twice in my three years of shield, i would never give away. Call it what you want, it is precious to those who win, and although others may not see its importance, if they were to win it, then they would understand. It is an amazing feeling, regardless of the amount of games (yes, i bowled few games the first time we won, and a hell of a lot of games the second time round), and trying to take away that importance isn't even worth arguing.

So for those who want it changed, consider this. Not only would the cost still be just as high, the standard would be lower. If there are so many of you who think winning is not important, look at those who are apart of the winning teams. They are loud, they are proud, and they have a hell of a good time. It is an honour to be apart of a shield team, and to do the best your team can do will always be important.

The main thing here is you have to earn the spot to bowl
in the presidents sheild even if ur in the team, if ur bowling crap why
should they but u on

Bizrad said:
And im sick of you putting down what we as a team achieved. The team worked very hard to achieve gold and you saying it is a piece of tin etc i find very offensive.

We were the best team there, we all put 100% into everything we did and earned that gold medal. For you to disrespect it i think is a bit rich.

Brad Mattsson

I haven't at any stage put down what your team achieved. I think it's great you won. Congratulations. And I certainly dont disrespect it. I'd just like to see a team of 7 used as a team of 7.

All I have asked is why the 2 guys who bowled 2 games each weren't used a bit more. Their scores indicate that they were not bowling crap .. so, just tell me why?

Sure ... they played a part in the victory, just like any twelfth man in a game of Cricket. And just like a twelfth man, they'd be a little disappointed personally that they didn't get to play, but as everyone says, it's the team that counts, so they'd knuckle down to their twelfth man duties.

im just sayn that this topic should be dropped its gone on long enough
pplz
anywayz i just think every1 had fun this yr at nats and i hope there are many more like this to come in the future

KriDdLe said:
TO have bowled people such as Matt Knaffa, Dion Alexander, Steven Cowland, Michael Mc Donald, Brady Pirie, Matt sing is a great experience to have gone through!!

Krystal

Problem is, these kids DID NOT get to bowl these names you have dropped. That is what this debate is about.

This is the stupidest thing i have ever hurd! These kids dont get to bowl against the Aus Reps because each coach/manager has to place the best line up against there opposing team, to win points, not to make some kid happy or to satisfy parents that they are getting there moneys worth! And something that is always said to me, your bowling the pins, not the player. If some of these kids arent getting the games, there good reason to it, there is no way in hell the coachs/managers would put a second rate team together in order to give some of the lesser talented bowlers more games. There is no point to this thread, in other sports, such as rugby, soccer, cricket, the ppl on the bench dont get to play, but u dont see them having a cry about it and try to get the rules changed just so they can have some game time.
Just my thoughts, Hamish

finally someone has said wot everyone is thinking, hamish nows wot it is like and spoke the truth and like one of my old bowling friends says 'U dont perform, theres a bench with your name on it'.

yay hamish has hit the nail, and to the others that dont agree with the way it is run, in my opion as a bolwer who has bowled shiled now, can see nothing wrong with the way it is run, why would a coach play a bowler when the rest of the players are performing, and at the end of the day gonna bring home the gold, now please explain why they should be played.

luke green

im pretty sure that when each team has a training session, their coaches would say to them "the best team on the day will stay that way" i.e meaning the players who are bowling really well will stay in the team. When I was in shield, if you bowled a bad game, you got sat out, simple as that, then the fresh bowler has a chance to stake his claim. I dont believe in a rotation policy, because quite frankly there are alot of people who made if for the first time and just want to get used to the team bowling atmosphere that President Shield has.

Adrian

The Spanner said:
All I have asked is why the 2 guys who bowled 2 games each weren't used a bit more. Their scores indicate that they were not bowling crap .. so, just tell me why?

As their scores indicated that they were bowling well, maybe the reason had nothing to do with the scores. Maybe it was personal reasons, reasons that may have been discussed between the bowlers and coach/managers.

I know that there would have been no 'favouring' of team members over others as most of the team are close friends of mine, the coach included, and there would be no way in hell that any of them would let this happen as they were there for eachother, there for their team. They wanted the best from the team and they produced the best that they could from their team.

If the actual 'reason' why these bowlers only got 2 games has not yet been clarified and been annouced to the public, as you seem so anxious to hear, maybe they dont want to discuss it with you.

And as if you would call a President's Shield Gold Medal a piece of tin..

*chook :>* said:
And as if you would call a President's Shield Gold Medal a piece of tin..

Hell...as if you would call ANY Presidents Shield medal a piece of tin...they hold memories, they do...I look at the one I got from last year and it reminds me of all my fave moments from Shield...same as the one from this year...and besides, a lot of the best memories I have are off the lanes

Presidents' Shield is a team event, the best 7 junior male and female bowlers of the State/Territory/Zone they represent......bowlers, team management, parents, officials and spectators all participate to support each other and have a great time. Put it to rest.

Whoa... I go away for a while and it turns into a slogging match, its good to see I can still cause controversy, my question is; what happened to Bigun?

Back
Top Bottom