Gold Coast Superbowl - Burleigh QLD

GlenB

I am placing this post here in the Shame forum because of the "service" I received today from their staff.

Graham, feel free to place it in a more suitable spot if required.

My fiance' and I went there today to bowl. It is the centre I first learnt to bowl and bowled league at, so it held some sentimental value to me.

The carpark was quite full so we walked in to see if we would be able to get on the lanes. It is a 24 lane centre and has been renovated since I last bowled there in '87 (as expected ). There were 3 people bowling taking up two lanes.

I enquired to the counter staff if I could have a pair to bowl on for four games for each of us. I was told she could not let me have them for league rates as I did not bowl in the centre. (She must know everyone who bowls there personally as she did not even ask :).

She went on to tell me she could give me two lanes, but they would not cross over. I asked her if we could get them in league format, but she replied that because I was not a bowler there I could only have single lane bowling.

I could not believe what I was hearing. I couldn't care less about paying league practise rates, but she was refusing to give a league format because I was not a local bowler.

I told her what I thought of her service and walked out. Both my fiance' and I were flabergasted that this was their policy.

So, is this the policy of other bowls? As this is the first time I have come across it I am just wondering if this is an isolated incident.

Other centres have been happy to provide two lanes, when available, regardless of what rates we get charged. Sometimes just being a league bowler has been enough get discount rates.

Some of the members here at Totalbowling own centres, many more work at them. What is the norm?

As for the GC Superbowl please accept my extended middle finger as this is the only recommendation I can give you from now on.

Glen, I too used to bowl alot of leagues at Gold Coast Superbowl and I can guarantee you I will not be the first to say that I am not suprised to hear this. The centre would have to be one of the most potential bowls on the coast without a doubt. Unfortunately it was taken over by one of the most dissapointing individuals that has come to the sport of bowling on the coast. The bowl used to have it all......the top bowlers bowling there along with the biggest leagues all through the week. God only knows if I win lotto I will turn it into the place it should be. :roll:

I know the former manager of the place has recently been either sacked or he quit and by the sounds of it there are now only amaturs running the show. Obviously trained up by the asshole owner himself.

Its just madness......the bowl like you said has undergone a facelift...and hell....I even think they have bought a Kegel but as far as the bowling goes, until there are new owners they will never get me to spend my last dollar in there thats for sure. Also I am sure there are a heck of alot of people on the coast that feel the same way. Out of all the bowls on the coast that provide such a great service.......you sure picked the wrong one to go too.

:shock: That makes our bowling centres sound fantastic. :D

We have the usual problem of conditions and the like, but I have never had that kind of treatment from any bowl in Canberra.

I did bowl at the centre in question about five years ago, and it was ok then. Sounds like it has realy hit rock bottom.

8)

That's really a terrible thing to be reading .. you'd think a centre would want you to leave their centre wanting to come back, or tell people of the GOOD service there, not leaving with the intention of probably never returning ..

I know another centre with a certain employee who would have to be one of the rudest people i have met in my whole entire life, but they shall remain nameless, which is a total shame as this certain person is turning customers away !!

Just my opinion .. Cya all !!

As the proprietorof Gold Coast Superbowl I wish to respond firstly to our visitors from interstate, I am sorry that I have not responded earlier but I have just become familiar with this site. How disappointed I was to find such negative feed back about our centre and in particular staff members. In general our policy is to place bowlers on cross over lanes if that is what they want, we do not give league discounts unless we know the bowlers or you have a leaque card. However I do not encourage our staff to be rude or hostile with customers. I would like to apologise to you and hope that next time you are on the coast you will try us again.

To Sean M what a misery you are why dont you front me in person rather than sling off at the owner, do you in fact know the owner, is he male or is she female? If you are who I think you are why dont you show yourself. My business like all busness have highs and lows with staff and bowlers, we try at all times to offer the best service and conditions. Yes we have recently had a change in management for the better and the centre looks and runs extremely well. When you win lotto come see me you wimp. It takes a lot more than crude comments and childish name calling to run a successful business .

In response to the comment regarding the size of the leagues at the centre we are thrilled that some of the "regular" league bowlers who have such high opinions or themselves and their bowling skills have left like youself they were rude, constantly complaining and ruining the game for the bowlers who enjoy our centre -- I say "Good Ridance" .

I think this forum is an excellent site to air ones grievances, bring it on I say. :evil:

im sorry Mr/Mrs Owner of GC Superbowl but i myself, have only heard negative comments about the bowl NOT JUST ON THIS SITE!!! by the way is your center sanctioned?? im a jnr and i dont want to bowl there! your the only person ive heard say nice things about the bowl and you im assuming is the owner.. pretty dissappointing!! And you say you do not encourage your staff to be hostile and rude, but they were! and i strongly advise you to do something about it, considering your the boss!

Yours sincerely

Krystal King :!: :!:

P.S. also a successful business deals with the problems not challenge people on there opinions!

Goldie....my name is Sean Marjanovic just to clear things up for you. The owners I believe are Kevin Gilmore and his wife Nervada (I think thats her name) but please correct me if I'm wrong. One of them being more of a silent partner. Who might you be by the way? As far as I know your just her daughter. At first in your post you state you are the proprietor but then go on to talk about the owner as if it was not yourself. Here is my phone number 0416075674 if you would like to call me. I'm not exactly to mobile at the moment but I'm sure not scared to come and pay you a visit and let you know how terrible your bowl really is in person.

Goldie

Having read your reply, I wouldn't bowl in your centre for love nor money. You mightn't "encourage our staff to be rude or hostile with customers", but your reply is nothing but rude. Not a good way to encourage business. Your attack on "regular" league bowlers in your area is nothing short of disgraceful. You won't get any bowlers of any quality going near your front door.

I agree with Sean and Krystal.

Get a life.

Feral

All i have heard is bad about ur lanes. and at oen point u had a very good centre. and wen the new owner came in teh lanes turend to rubbish and the service is shocking. and i would not bowl there unless ur lanes improve. your centre has great potential and u should a be usiing teh centre to its full potentioal

goldie said:
As the proprietorof Gold Coast Superbowl I wish to respond firstly to our visitors from interstate, I am sorry that I have not responded earlier but I have just become familiar with this site. How disappointed I was to find such negative feed back about our centre and in particular staff members. In general our policy is to place bowlers on cross over lanes if that is what they want, we do not give league discounts unless we know the bowlers or you have a leaque card. However I do not encourage our staff to be rude or hostile with customers. I would like to apologise to you and hope that next time you are on the coast you will try us again.

To Sean M what a misery you are why dont you front me in person rather than sling off at the owner, do you in fact know the owner, is he male or is she female? If you are who I think you are why dont you show yourself. My business like all busness have highs and lows with staff and bowlers, we try at all times to offer the best service and conditions. Yes we have recently had a change in management for the better and the centre looks and runs extremely well. When you win lotto come see me you wimp. It takes a lot more than crude comments and childish name calling to run a successful business .

In response to the comment regarding the size of the leagues at the centre we are thrilled that some of the "regular" league bowlers who have such high opinions or themselves and their bowling skills have left like youself they were rude, constantly complaining and ruining the game for the bowlers who enjoy our centre -- I say "Good Ridance" .

I think this forum is an excellent site to air ones grievances, bring it on I say. :evil:

Just for one moment lets take this post seriously and assume you are the 'manager'.

You call yourself a manager? christ, they let anybody pass for management these days, you have just committed the cardinal sin, you NEVER! insult potential customers, and you most certainly never air your grievances in public in a manner such as you have done here.

Mate, you have just affirmed sean's assumptions of your character. You should be damn right ashamed for bashing anybody on a public forum such as this. He makes very valid points, you only have to speak to the local bowlers in the area to understand what we all think of your center and how it has seriously gone down hill in the past 5 years. All the drama with leagues, juniors, staff, the works, it is very sad to see it go this way, i cant still remember the way things used to be back when your center hosted the nationals.

You deserve all you get if you choose to act like this, returning a reply with threats is just down right lame, it is very unprofessional and it represents a terrible outlook of your establishment. You call yourself a manager? I wouldnt be caught dead posting such utter rubbish as you have done here in your previous post. You shouldnt be in a position to manage a parking lot let alone a bowling center, if i was the owner i would be very dissapointed, upset and generally annoyed with the way you have carried on.

You have just shown a large portion of the bowling population (and might i add quite a few gold coast bowlers) your rude outburst, yet you are worried about negative feedback generated from the action of your staff members. Talk about bloody hypocritical, quite frankly, we dont care for your kind on this forum. Wake up to yourself and start acting like a representitive for bowling on the gold coast, at the moment you are no better than a 3 year old who just spat the dummy.

I think this speaks for it all when i give you a big
icon_thumb_down.gif

Edit: hey sean, want a lift? I wouldnt mind seeing just what it looks like in person (been three years since ive been in there). :)

Sure, pick me up anytime. But make sure to leave your wallet at home. I know I will be. I spose Goldie can say anything because after all, she is Mummy's little girl so I don't think Mummy(owner) will be too upset.

Goldie im assuming you are a child and you have successfully taken the bowls reputation into your hands and made it utter trash. Congratulations!

Sean and Levithian, have you gone to Superbowl yet? I haven't been on this site for a while so I don't know what has been happening. If you haven't been there yet let me know as I would like to go there with you, as I'd like to see if "the Manager" is going to slag off at more Gold Coast bowlers, let me know. Sean, you have my mobile number, how's things going?

Danny Simpson.

Nah danny, i offered to sean but i dont think thats high on his list of priorities though :) Im thinking of having a few games with a friend who is out of bowling (hasnt bowled in a bit) might take a drive down and see, at worst all it will be is a trip down the southern end of the coast :) Always get back on the highway and go visit mt warren and see what all these people have been raving about :) Welcome to come join us on a trip south if you want, depends on what happens at the place if we actually bowl or not.

GlenB said:
So, is this the policy of other bowls? As this is the first time I have come across it I am just wondering if this is an isolated incident.

Glen,

In response to your question, I know that we here at Garden City Lanes charge all league bowlers (local or not) standard league practice rates. It is often hard to tell who is a league bowler and who is not, so we pretty much rely on the bowlers to let us know that they are league bowlers. We might ask a few questions (eg which centre do you bowl at) but I think that is only fair enough. Also, if the bowler's would like cross-lane, and we have the spare lanes, I can't see why we WOULDN'T fulfill their request.

While you guys are galavanting around the countryside :wink:, why not come for a cruise up to good old 'Woomby and take a look at our new centre! We'll treat you right, I promise!

<< now if that wasn't a plug i dunno what is... :lol: >>

Have fun guys,
Kehan

Arent centers just smart enough to make the call? Fair enough if Joe Schmo walks in with his wallet and that's about it then I say charge him what everyone else pays unless they have a league card, etc.. when a bowler walks in on their own for example, two/ four bag roller, shoes, wrist support the LOT, 9pm on a weeknight- and the center questions if they are a league bowler?

Out of respect to some people I know at the lanes that I will not specifically mention, I was sold 4 'league' practice games for $14.40 at a non-AMF center that was running a deal similar to AMF's. When I came back for another 4, was told by a different woman that since I dont bowl league here at this center I couldnt get those rates. I said "That's okay I wont bowl here", etc and took all my stuff out. I dont see, even if I wasnt a league bowler at that center, or even a league bowler at all, how a center can be knocking these bowlers back. It's just ridiculous.

It's not like I was bowling 39 games with the bumpers up and using a house ball.

On the contrary, I went to Forest Hill AMF and recieved excellent service from a lady behind the counter who obviously had the sense to see that by the fact I was carrying a bag and mentioned that I bowled league was enough to get the discount rates. Why can't all centers just adopt this policy?

As for the stupid cross-lane thing, my guess is that the idiot behind the counter lacked the skills to set the lanes on this mode, I mean it's no different to setting it up single lane other than maybe 1 mouse button click.

Sheesh, this has flamed on well after my first post on it.

I didn't let it spoil my holiday... Two days later I went to Ashmore, I had bowled there shortly after it first opened. The women who served us were friendly gave us league rates and practise time. Then we told them the story of our previous bowling attempt.

The excellent treatment obviously had good effect, 1025 for 4... Haven't come close since!

I have no ill will towards Gold Coast Superbowl, just a bad experience that I do not care to test again. For those that bowl there and enjoy it, good for you. For those that work there, I do not know them and will probably never meet them again so no grudges here.

I am currently in Melbourne and using Greensborough as my local. I have had 3 different people serve me for 3 different rates now. But they were all courteous, gave me a pair, and lept me away from the schoolies!

Pity the dick behind the ball couldn't get his act together and use the practise to make his Nats experience better. Oh well.... Back to the coach :)

goldie is your name mauzzie

so glad i resigned
That place was the best bowl on the coast at one stage
it's a shame it has gone down hill
as sean said if i won lotto i would not hesitate to buy the place

Greg Robertson
Head Serviceman Amf Forest Hill

its pretty funny

I was reading this thread last night and then today me and mate decided to go and have a bowl this arvo, we couldnt get a lane at ashmore so we went to burleigh superbowl.

I didnt expect league practise rates and they could see we were regular bowlers and asked if we bowled there when we said no they explained to us politely that we wouldnt get league practise rates (no bigger really). I then asked if we could have two lanes and league play and they then explained to me their not allowed to do it for non league bowlers.

When we started bowling it was a nice surprise despite being a bit on the dry side the conditions were great, in fact so good i think i will probably start in a league there.

I guess its a shame they still have that policy but atleast it seems their staffs attitude is different now, the two ladies behind the counter couldnt have been nicer.

Ive had the same problem at different centers, why wouldnt you just say right well we want a lane each and just bowl a frame on each others game, thus swapping over? Score yourself on a piece of paper and there ya go! You've beaten the system. Works well, and they get ****ty when they realise that you are smarter then them :D

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom