Right of way

M

Magoo

Hi all,
This is just something that is bugging me so I thought I would share.WHY do people give way for two lanes instead of one?In the rule book it says a bowler should give way to the lanes directly beside him/her.I could probably understand it a bit more if it was a rule but,it isn't so why do it?No wonder most tournaments seem to go on for ever!!!Would it not be logical to give only the required amount of lanes instead of waiting for an invitation to get up on the approach.I think that this could be another of the many reasons for dwindling tournament entries.You get your average league bowler who decides to give a tournament a try,during league he/she is courteous and gives way to one lane either side,then they go to the tournament do the same thing and unbeknowing to them they step up on someone giving way to two lanes,the league bowler then starts to wonder why he/she is attracting dirty looks from the people giving two lanes when in he/she is perfectly within the guidelines as stated in the rule book.anyway the league bowler starts to feel out of place and doesn't bother any more with tournaments.
Now that i have had my say (which will most probably be incorrect
icon_razz.gif
).Looking forward to being corrected on my opinion.
Till next time
Tryhard

I dont know about you gerald, but I do prefer two lanes being given way.

Although they teach you to concentrate on your own lane, I sometimes do find it hard in league watching people going through their approach out of the corner of your eye.

Even though its not a rule, I think its more a courtesy type inclusion into tournament bowling, and for myself, I think its a welcome one.

Competition bowlers give way 2 lanes as a courtesy - less distracting...

I found it difficult to get use to at first, now not so bad (although sometimes when concentrating I still jump up when I shouldn't - last time I did it was to Morty Douglas at the QLD Championships I think)...Sorry Morty!!!

DID YOU KNOW - Many international tournaments give way 3 or 4 lanes, and PBA tournaments give way 6 lanes!!! No wonder it takes them so long to get through their squads.

I for one would like to see the better tournaments in Australia bring out a 2 lane give way rule - say the top 10 tournaments in Australia...

Just my 2 cents worth

My question to you people is.
If you are that worried about not being able to concentrate, whilst other people are bowling around you, what in the blue hell are you doing. You are obviously not concentrating on what you are doing
My solution
QUIT BITCHIN AND BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one other thing on this subject, just think how much quicker thing would go if you only gave way one pair to your right ?
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Boybrowny:

DID YOU KNOW - PBA tournaments give way 6 lanes!!! No wonder it takes them so long to get through their squads.

[/QUOTE
Sorry Peter but the PBA bowlers do NOT give way to 6 lanes..They have a double jumping rule which in simple terms means you cannot throw a ball until someone on either pair, both to to your left and right throws a shot. (unless they wave you to go) This means someone is always bowling on every other pair of lanes..the most lanes you'd give way to is three.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hi all,
I will try to make this a brief post.Firstly don't a majority of(if not all)tournaments state that tba rules will apply for that paticular tournament?So therefore would it not mean that anyone giving two lanes the right of way would be breaking the rules?
It has been posted in another subject on this forum,so i won't put in all of them but just a few.
Direct from the rule book.
CHAPTER 2.
GENERAL
Rule 201.Bowling Etiquette
Bowlers must give consideration at all times to the rights of the other bowler.
1.Prepare to take your turn promptly on the lane.Remember,the player to your right has right of way.
2.Take your time,but don't waste time by POSING OR WAITINGUNTIL EVERYONE ELSE IS OF THE ADJASCENT APPROACHES.
3.Do not step your approach until the previous bowler has left.
This is all that i will put up from the rule book as i don't have all night to do the whole lot.
So to milkman it would be more of a courteousy to just give one lane and not drag out the length of the tournament and to browny i have to side with makka why do you need two lanes clear either side of you to knock down the pins on the lane that you are bowling on.
So until it becomes part of the rule book to give way to two lanes be prepared to be stepped up on.
One last thing could someone please point out in the rule book on the amount of re-racks per game a bowler can have?As i didn't see any mention about it.I have heard it is only two(which i abide by),but i could not see any actual rule for it.
Till next time
Tryhard

OK

If this is such a big issue to people ( ill use Milkman as an example)go down to a centre and have a bowl during the school holiday period. BELIEVE me, with the lights out, the music going flat out and little tackers running right by you every 5 seconds while your trying to bowl. Not easy to concentrate, so i use this as training for tournaments, so when i get there im not borthered by little insagnifficant things going on around me. This really works

MAKKA

Back
Top Bottom