Social bowler distraction

The Real Deal said:
League prices are over the $20 mark?
Is that the same for AMF centre in perth? Can someone tell me?
2005 prices (of course we are subject to the yearly change aswell)
The league I looked after we all $16.50 - $17.50 for 3 games, I knows there is a few 'Contract Leagues' that may pay more round the $20 mark....but the games rate is the same and a few more dollars go to the prise fund.....
Just Curious
Clint

At AMF Moonah we have Sponsors League on the Wednesday night which will be $23 for 3 games at the start of 2006.
This is a moderate paying 14 team league.
The league executive undertook the decision to rise the weekly fee by $1 per night after the news that AMF game fees were rising by 45c a game next year.

Centre League on Thursday night is the biggest league in the centre at 22 teams, and that is to stay at $22 for 3 games next season.
Centre League payed out around $9,000 in the prize fund last season.

I can't recall what the rest of the leagues charge, around the $17-19 mark if I recall rightly.

My league costs $16.50 for 3 games. Not a big prize fund but also includes social money. There are currently 22 teams of 4 in this League and will probably be increasing to 24 teams next season which will fill the Centre. This is one way to make sure there are no social bowler distractions. The League takes up all the lanes! This is a very friendly, family orientated league with the youngest bowler being about 8 and the oldest .....well!!
There is a wide mix of ability with some teams there for the fun, others there to compete seriously. We have just finished our league last week and there is less than 5 points separating the top 5 teams. The League Championship decided on the last game with 1/2 point separating the top two teams.

Instead of bagging our sport, how about encouraging others to join a league. Fill the Centres with League bowlers. Talk to the new bowlers who are just commencing in a league and make them feel welcome not overawed.

I personally dont mind the social bowlers...anyone with half a brain can work around the social bowlers...i just wait til they come back after thier shot before i bowl...besides its good to see social bowlers in the centres...especially the kids...odds are they could be the next cara honeychurch or andrew frawley to name a few great bowlers this country has raised...

i agree with all of this- league bowlers should not have to have socials next to them.

especially birthday partys, i once had a group of 7 y.o. and they kept running onto our lane and there was the possibility of a colision. it gets to the point that you are put off worrying your going to hit them

melboleo said:
You guys wanna talk about social bowlers distraction?? Check this one out.....
Over the weekend, we had the Moorabin Classic, great tourney run by Warren BUT, on the 3rd block, they bloody decided to put on the last 3 lane of Moorabin Bowl, a fu...... birthday party!!
I was unfortunately on the last pair of lanes with good mate and pot bowler Alex K. Now you tell me how difficult it is if you are bowling under tournament conditions and a kid goes full speed ahead and ball is thrown without direction and bounces left and right and he bumbers. All you could hear were kids screaming for a strike and blah blah blah......
Well done AMF!!!
Leo
I was shooting 222 ave before that game Leo :( Kids running everwhere, mums taking pictures infront of us,and the ball ramp was swinging left n right!!.The best part was, there was a AMF Staff standing between us.I asked him to tell them to give way to us,his reply was,they are not listening to me :rolleyes: Lost my PLOT and My POT :rolleyes:
It's ok to have Social Bowlers bowling say practice/league games but not when theres a tourney and bowlers paid $100 each to bowl [-X

personally i dont mined bowling next 2 social bowlers it gives me a chance 2 show off my bowling technique to them, and they stare in amazement on how i can hook a ball, also its good practice 4 me 2 try and cut out all noises and focus hard on my target

i dont mind if its just practice (it is fun to show off!!!)
but when your in a tournament that you have paid good money to enter you DONT want to have to put up with rubbish like that

We were all social bowlers once. If we proceed to put ourselves out of reach by seperating the skilled from the unskilled the sport will never grow. Then we won't have to worry about distractions there won't be any lanes to bowl on. The reality is as representatives of our sport we have to show new comers that we aren't snobby, that we are happy people enjoying our sport and only then will the sport will catch up to the rest. Remember sports die, don't let it be ours.

I remember when I used to work at Elizabeth Bowl last year, they would leave the pair next to any league on 'Workshop', and that pair were also cleaned and oiled at the same time as the league pairs, to be used as a breakdown pair and to also seperate the social bowlers from those in the League.
I personally dont have a problem with alot of people around when i'm trying to bowl, it is a very good trait to have to be able to shut people/noise out when you are trying to bowl. I do have a problem with social bowlers bowling next to lanes that I am on though, but in the end it's up to the centre in question as to what their policy is about how close casuals go to league lanes.

For one of the centres near to me (Mt. Druitt) a league takes up 19 of 32 lanes and social bowlers can not play on those lanes until the last bowler is done.....A guy was bowling in the 18th lane and the lady wouldnt even put me n my friends (all not loud and annoying) in the lanes 1 and 2....That doesnt make sense.....WE would've been 16 lanes away.......WE had to wait an hour to play.....As for distractions Im slowly getting use to it and dont let it get to me....If a kid walks out in front of me their parents will get the lecture as kids are none the wiser....Kids should be kept under control...

Back
Top Bottom