Social bowler distraction

I wonder if we can get some science types onto determining how some kids turn into screaming rabbits when they get within 5 miles of any bowling centre, maybe we should spike the Coke machine with Ritalin!!!!!:p

Kaz said:
If we dont have the little kids running around we dont get bowlers for the future.

I couldnt agree more. We need to encourage all the youngsters bowling, but there is a time & place for it. Not in the middle of a major tournament just so the tight arse centre can make an extra $50. They are already making $6,000 out of the tournament where they would have struggled to fill 25% of the centre for the same time over the same 2 day period.
These centres are left to a bunch of tossers, cretins & morons to run that are'nt much older than these kids that everybody is complaing about. If 1/2 these idiots put a little thought into what they were about to do before they did it you would'nt have 1/2 the problems we all seem to be having.

You get what you pay for in the way of staff.

If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

CHIN said:
Centres dont give a toss about league bowlers. There more concerned about filling the house with social bowlers. League bowlers are paying 1/2 - 2/3 of what social bowlers generally pay.

I totally agree. My centre changed a league from doubles to triples because they were using almost all the lanes. The only reason could be because social bowlers pay more to play. But...i think they should be thinking more about the league bowlers who turn up every week, not once in a while.

the league bowlers who turn up every week?

the same league bowlers who dont turn up at the end of the year if they are not in a good position?
the same league bowlers who always want tournaments and dont support them? or better yet put their name down and dont turn up?

you know they work off the principle that you get all 20 lanes when you pay for them.

why would they turn it into tripples when you will be on the lanes for even longer? wouldnt they prefer to get you on and take you off quick so they can use them.

bowling as a sport is dying not because of the centres but the lack of support from league bowlers. if league bowlers produced the income they required why would they look to attract more open play?

ive said it before and ill say it again. Bowling alleys are not RSLs for cheap bowling and a discount buffet, they are a business.

if you cant concerntrate enough on your own bowling then obviously your not that interested in it, or as a typical bowler your think you bowl better than you do and you need someone to blame your poor performance on.

its just like straight bowlers who complain about how much oil or carrydown is on the lanes. some league bowlers have no idea.

open play may be alot more irregular but they spend money in the cafe and on the amusement machines. sometimes even bringing their kids back for a birthday party.

finally, this is how the sport is now. if you cant stand the heat in the kitchen get out.

so when i see the day that a bowling alley is opened by a consortium of bowlers that manage to make it profitable by just supporting league bowlers and tournaments. then i will listen to you.

out of all the sports in the world, i would have to say bowling has the most whingers by far. its no wonders all the decent people dont come back to leagues for the next year, and i tip my hat to the ones that love their sport enough to put up with them.

Escapee said:
out of all the sports in the world, i would have to say bowling has the most whingers by far. its no wonders all the decent people dont come back to leagues for the next year, and i tip my hat to the ones that love their sport enough to put up with them.

Escapee,
Please don't make the assumption that this forum accurately represents what most bowlers feel about any particular issue. The very nature of a public forum like this is that people only post things when they've got something to bitch about which tends to present bowlers in a fairly negative light.
I believe that most bowlers are happy with the sport, they like the centre(s) they bowl in, they like the people behind the counter and the people they bowl with. They like to see families and social bowlers having fun doing a sport that they enjoy. They are the silent majority. After all, bowling is not cheap and if you weren't enjoying yourself you wouldn't come back week after week (night after night for some of us).
I am surprised at times by the negativity that is displayed here that only serves to damage a sport that they claim to love. It is however a public forum and these people are entitled to their opinions as you and I are to ours.
Graeme (a not quite so silent but happy bowler)

Escapee said:
out of all the sports in the world, i would have to say bowling has the most whingers by far.
You have proved that, your comments are by far the longest whinge on this topic.

Bowlers are dropping out of leagues for 1 reason. $, centres put there prices up every year. People cant afford to pay $20-25 a league 2-3 times a week anymore. Gee, you can go to AMF centres & get 4 games practice as a league bowler for $14.40. $3.60 a game. Yet when you bowl league you paying almost $6.00 a game who's screwing who Escapee.

Sounds like Escapee's the only 1 working up a sweat in the kitchen. should take some of his own advice.

CHIN said:
Bowlers are dropping out of leagues for 1 reason. $, centres put there prices up every year. People cant afford to pay $20-25 a league 2-3 times a week anymore. Gee, you can go to AMF centres & get 4 games practice as a league bowler for $14.40. $3.60 a game. Yet when you bowl league you paying almost $6.00 a game who's screwing who Escapee.
Sounds like Escapee's the only 1 working up a sweat in the kitchen. should take some of his own advice.
When you come in for practice games are you playing for a prizefund? No, hence why league costs more, you need to put money in the prizefund.
If you're unhappy with paying $20-$25 a week for league please feel free to come in and pay full price for your games each week with no reward at the end...

M[E]L[i]s[S]a said:
When you come in for practice games are you playing for a prizefund? No, hence why league costs more, you need to put money in the prizefund.
If you're unhappy with paying $20-$25 a week for league please feel free to come in and pay full price for your games each week with no reward at the end...

Wasnt talking about me honey. I can afford to bowl every night of the week if I felt like it. What I was saying was that because the price of bowling has gone up every year a lot of people have been forced to give up or bowl once a week. gone are the days when people can afford to bowl 4 or 5 leagues a week.

I can walk into my local AMF centre any Monday-Thursday evening and find one 10x4 or 8x5 man (Oops sorry) PERSON league and 2-3 lanes of social bowlers. The remaining 18-20 lanes are empty the entire night.
Surely it would be more financial to have the entire centre full of league bowlers at a reduced rate if you cant fill it with social bowlers, than have 2/3's of the centre empty most nights of the week.
You would get more people back into bowling and probably people bowling more than once a week if you charged $10-$12 plus social money instead of $18 plus social money.
Bowling centres have the same theory, loose bowlers, put the price up to compensate for the lose, screw the bowlers more who are being loyal. Instead of finding out why people are giving up & maybe dropping the price to entice people back into the game.
Until the owners or mangers change there approach & pull there heads out there arse this game will continue to go downhill.

Would'nt have thought it was good business practice to have only 1/3 of your lanes working Monday-Thursday from opening to closing time.

Also M[E]Lsa,

Dont get on this forum and bag other people when you have'nt got the balls or just to chicken s**t to put your name on your profile or post.

M[E]L[i]s[S]a said:

Tell me there is one thing I can never understand with some bowling centers and there is many around like this. It costs $15 for anyone of the street to come in for 3 games and that as shoes in the cost. League cost $25 yet only $5 is going into the prize fund and yes same amount of games. Why should league bowlers be paying more then socail bowlers? No wonder most centers can't get half there lanes with leagues on them, and on top of that it's not like the leagues are at good time when it's really busy.

Robert

so chin, why do you continue to bowl seeing you loathe what the alleys are doing and how much your paying? so obviously their business plan is working considering you continue to bowl.

and yes i am having a whinge and at least ill admit it, and furthermore it isnt the usual crap you carry on with.

and as of this message i wont be adding any more replies to this thread as ive had my say and im not going to be drawn down to your level or for that matter mentality.

ps. melissa i totally agree

Escapee said:
so chin, why do you continue to bowl seeing you loathe what the alleys are doing and how much your paying? so obviously their business plan is working considering you continue to bowl.
and yes i am having a whinge and at least ill admit it, and furthermore it isnt the usual crap you carry on with.
and as of this message i wont be adding any more replies to this thread as ive had my say and im not going to be drawn down to your level or for that matter mentality.
ps. melissa i totally agree

Must have hit a nerve. Of ccourse you would would agree with her. seems all the tossers stick together

Bowler said:
Tell me there is one thing I can never understand with some bowling centers and there is many around like this. It costs $15 for anyone of the street to come in for 3 games and that as shoes in the cost. League cost $25 yet only $5 is going into the prize fund and yes same amount of games. Why should league bowlers be paying more then socail bowlers? No wonder most centers can't get half there lanes with leagues on them, and on top of that it's not like the leagues are at good time when it's really busy.
Robert
Last time i checked, 3 games for a regular joe blow off the street was $21.50. With 99% of our 3 game leagues, @ $21 including the prize fund.
Whilst not universal, i would expect this to be close to par all the way around in AMF centres. There are exceptions. Leagues who run themselves and set thier own prize funds can be dearer, but game rate is usually the same as everyone else.

lol
thats the way, make a bigger fool of yourself Chin
instead of everyone at your alley knowing your a jerk, you can get coverage nationally

I've been around the bowling scene for nearly 30 years and seen a lot of s.h.i.t. go on. I dont know how long you've been bowling Escapee. I have my opinions, you have your opinions, who's to say who's right. ;) ;)

dshadow said:
Last time i checked, 3 games for a regular joe blow off the street was $21.50. With 99% of our 3 game leagues, @ $21 including the prize fund.
Whilst not universal, i would expect this to be close to par all the way around in AMF centres. There are exceptions. Leagues who run themselves and set thier own prize funds can be dearer, but game rate is usually the same as everyone else.

yeah that might be the case for amf but not everywhere is amf. I was talking about locally owed centers

CHIN said:
Centres dont give a toss about league bowlers. There more concerned about filling the house with social bowlers. League bowlers are paying 1/2 - 2/3 of what social bowlers generally pay.

Really? you dont say :rolleyes:

Certainly shows who has the greatest weight within the bowling community, cash vs leagues, cash usually wins out (which is utter crap IMHO).

Escapee said:
the league bowlers who turn up every week?
the same league bowlers who dont turn up at the end of the year if they are not in a good position?
the same league bowlers who always want tournaments and dont support them? or better yet put their name down and dont turn up?
you know they work off the principle that you get all 20 lanes when you pay for them.
why would they turn it into tripples when you will be on the lanes for even longer? wouldnt they prefer to get you on and take you off quick so they can use them.

I dont know what league you have been bowling in, but i have never been in a league where a team or teams have not turned up because they are losing.

As i said they changed to triples so there were lanes free for social bowlers. My centre only has 14 lanes and nearly all were being used.

You guys wanna talk about social bowlers distraction?? Check this one out.....

Over the weekend, we had the Moorabin Classic, great tourney run by Warren BUT, on the 3rd block, they bloody decided to put on the last 3 lane of Moorabin Bowl, a fu...... birthday party!!

I was unfortunately on the last pair of lanes with good mate and pot bowler Alex K. Now you tell me how difficult it is if you are bowling under tournament conditions and a kid goes full speed ahead and ball is thrown without direction and bounces left and right and he bumbers. All you could hear were kids screaming for a strike and blah blah blah......

Well done AMF!!!

Leo

League prices are over the $20 mark?

Is that the same for AMF centre in perth? Can someone tell me?

2005 prices (of course we are subject to the yearly change aswell)
The league I looked after we all $16.50 - $17.50 for 3 games, I knows there is a few 'Contract Leagues' that may pay more round the $20 mark....but the games rate is the same and a few more dollars go to the prise fund.....

Just Curious
Clint

Just remember guys, we were all social bowlers at one stage.
So let the rest of the world enjoy what we enjoy and that is to bowl and have fun.

Alot of people these days have forgotten about the esscence of bowling.

Its to have FUN.

Back
Top Bottom