Emerson Shield odds

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Who do you consider to be the hot favourites to win the men's division of the Emerson Shield?....

I'm picking Werribee as the punters choice at 3-1.

For me it's tough to pick an out and out favourite this year. The two zones were vastly different conditions and both likely to be different to the conditions we get next weekend.

Emerson shield is all about depth, so i tend to look at teams that have seven strong bowlers (they also need to have a couple of high end perfomers).

For me Werribee certainly qualifies (they were lucky to get through the zone but they had a couple of big games against them early where they did not win many points so that result is a bit misleading). Mentone look strong, Shepparton have a couple of "young uns" so that makes them a bit of an unknown though i expect them to be around the mark. Melton have improved their depth and i would expect them to be top half. Epping look good at the "top end" but i don't know much about bowlers 5,6,7. Being at home they are likely to go alright.

I guess all this rambling leads me to having Mentone and Werribee as my equal favourites with Shepparton and Melton close behind.

I don't think any of the other 6 teams can win, but there is usually one or two teams that perform above expectations. I would not be surprised if some of the other teams figure prominently but i don't think they can actually win.

*stand back and get ready for the barrage from the teams i have not mentioned*

As for the women - it looks like a two horse race with the same two teams as last year Werribee and Shepparton.

Bendigo and Sunraysia would be my other picks for a high finish.

Word has it that Shep men have 3 changes, with the young'uns out and the old favourites in.

Will Kev confirm - or keep it a secret?????????:);):D

I would have Werribee as favorite for the mens and i would not be surprised if Sunraysia ladies finally make the step up to a champion team sooner rather than later, but they will have to over come the Werribee ladies as their dominance in the lead up was awsome!
Sunny's mens team 100/1 without the golden child and greyish one!
Would have been into at least 10's but with the heart and backbone of the team out just cant see them getting inside the top 6!:p

Come on Garry, you can do better than that....

Why not a list of the qualified Centres, and a rough order for the masses to argue over...

This would have to be the quietest Emerson thread ever!!!
Maybe everyone is saving their energy....

V

Pretty hard to look past Shep's unit as far as a great team that bowls well together. Werribee will again have the best team on paper, but will they get caught sleeping on the job like they did last year? Mentone's list can also match it with the best in the competition...

I think the biggest question, is will Chester back up his great performance at Mildura with another flop, or will he come out firing? :D

I feel another flop coming on ;)
so for those of you who want to pad their stats, be sure and line-up against me for that easy win. But you'd better get me on the first day of competition before this has-been breaks down is benched.

Jason i think you are underestimating the Sunraysia Mens team. I will have $5 with you at 50/1 for a top 3 finish.

Deano

Cassie Staudinger OUT of the Werribee side....the foundation is beginning to crumble already...

As of a couple of months ago...

Who is putting up Sunraysia at 50-1 for a top 3? I'll have some of that!
Werribee have been favorites many times, and only managed to come out on top at home. Shep deserve to be favourites I reckon, but I'll tip Melton to defeat them with Sunraysia/Mentone third.

deano..

coming up for the weekend??
sounds like a few bets will be happening!

if you ask nicely they might get you a ramp =p
any challengers??

jess

Jason i think you are underestimating the Sunraysia Mens team. I will have $5 with you at 50/1 for a top 3 finish.

Deano

What is your team? If there is no Dean, Rob or Ray the below odds will remain.

If it were a horse race Sunrasia men (With out the above men) would be 70/1 to win and probably around $17 for a place? So i will give you those odds if you like!
How much you wanna lose sweet heart?

Sunraysia men wont win.
We'll put in a good fight, but with out the depth of dean and rob, we'll struggle to go the distance.

In saying that we still have some good bowlers and anything can happen on the weekend ;)

Motta.... when did ray drop out of our team? cos I think I should have been told by now if he did :p

What about the "flip side". This year is probably the best for depth - no teams that are going to be easy beats. However - a team is still going to finish last...... any predictions... is any one game enough to suggest who might come last (BTW - I'm not!)

Anybody forgetting that the Werribee fellas did have to roll off in sudden death to secure their spot in the final....? Might be a case of the old team of champions doesnt always make a champion team?
Still, alot of depth, certainly the favourites on raw ability.
Shepparton are the "Champion team", as has been proven many times before.

I think it's about time to shine for the Sunraysia women.

OK - here are the teams in no particular order...

Will all come down to two factors...
The lane condition, and the centre that bowls as a team....

Women
Werribee
Bowlarama
Mentone
Narre Warren
Geelong
Shepparton
Bendigo
Sunraysia
Epping
Ballarat

Men
Mentone
Bowlarama
Colac
Narre Warren
Werribee
Bendigo
Shepparton
Melton
Epping
Sunraysia
(Gary, I will not be suggesting a bottom team, as this is by far one of the tighest group of centres for many years.)

V

Back
Top Bottom