DO YOU CONSIDER BOWLING GOOD "VALUE FOR MONEY" ...

DO YOU CONSIDER BOWLING GOOD "VALUE FOR MONEY" WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER LEISURE ACTIVITIES ?

• Total voters

Graham

Staff member
Ok, well here is my second poll, which goes hand in hand with the other one.

The first poll was entirely predictable .. it isn't over yet but 80 out of 83 votes said "YES" to the question "Are Bowling Games (League & Social) Too Expensive".

This next question requires a little thought :

DO YOU CONSIDER BOWLING GOOD "VALUE FOR MONEY" WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER LEISURE ACTIVITIES ?

Graham, you say 'leisure' activities. Does this mean that we should compare simply the social cost, or the cost of the sport as a competitive sport??
they really are two totally different costs.
A couple of mates going down for two games that will last them an hour and have good fun for $10 bucks each isnt to bad at all, its when u gotta dish out 250 bucks for 15 games qualifing and not making it, now thats expensive, and not very fun either.
so whatim asking is, Do you simply mean the 2 games with 5 mates leisure, or the weekly league bowler who pays $15 for 3 games, which to my knowledge deaer then just three soical games for any one, at my centre anyway.

Later Da Cowman

Bowling is real good value compared to other sports.

In my younger years (80's) I was heavily involved an another sport that required each competitor to pay a $600.00 fee to the NSO.

National events cost over $300.00 to enter and there was no prize money - everyone did it for the thrill and love of the sport.

Personally, I spent over $50K on my equipment and each event required another $10K per event in order to be competitive. I could only afford to compete in 5 events a year. There was always sponsorship dollars but, like tenpin bowling, it was hard to secure and this was with each event being televised.

It was only a matter of time that the dollars dried up and I returned to the more affordable sport of tenpin bowling.

$6.60 to be registered with the NSO, $5.00 per practice game and even $500.00 for a ball is peanuts.

Looking back, I only wished I stuck to TPB, I'd be much better off.

WHAT ARE SOME ADVANTAGES OF BOWLING OVER OTHER SPORTS AND LEISURE TIME ACTIVITIES?

No equipment purchases needed to participate. The bowling center provides the lanes, balls and shoes. Everyone has fun from the start, unlike other activities that require a certain skill before they can be enjoyable. No one sits on the bench. Both beginners and skilled bowlers participate. People of all ages can bowl. Both males and females can bowl together. There is no need to form a league for each sex. Even individuals confined to a wheelchair can bowl. Bowling is good exercise for everyone. Bowling is a year-round activity, so you can participate even when it is too hot, too cold, too wet or too dark to enjoy another activity. Inexpensive, particularly when compared to many other leisure time activities. The bowling center is convenient to home or work.

Do you think bowling is good value for money

Graham

Do you think bowling is good value for money when compared with other leisure sports!

My answer is Yes - we are a great leisure activity.
One strategy of I am sure many of 'how we can win on all levels of sport recognition'.

Recreational sport / leisure sport - meaning not to be taken seriously.
That is why we are popular :D - because our sport is conceptually easy to do and also more fun because it is not serious.

Nothing wrong with that we get a million people in the door very easily - but we as a rule do not keep them. Does the general community see our sporting opportunities on every wall, in attractive bright colours. Bright enough to challenge the Bowling Birthday party advertising posters (which are very attractive to children) - videos of our best high skilled bowlers - when our social players are on the lanes -

In short I believe our sport for the serious sporting people would be sponsor rich, tournament rich, publicity rich, more people rich if we promoted ourselves (our serious - sport side) to the community at every chance. I know people who bowl occasionally who have never seen a field of people churning out 200 plus averages. I am including a lot of league players - easy to do if you have a few videos of our sporting heroes and have our National level events finals covered by a film crew and footage given to every bowling centre in Australia to show - now wouldn't that be great for the bowling birthday party kids background visuals.

The bowling centres spend an enormous amount of money advertising the recreational side of Tenpin Bowling. Sport support mechanisms will create a greater percentage of long term players if we take the important leisure crowd into our confidence and share the well kept secret of how exciting our sport at the next level is.

It would be great if the bowling centres and the sport could get resources and strategic planning systems together to promote something that would have our community appreciate our 'sport' profile. Teachers at schools we see every day in Queensland KNOW Cara Honeychurch - and that we were in the Commonwealth Games. Because of the visual promotion of our sport.
Cara's performance or footage should be everywhere.

Sorry - gone on a little (as usual) - In short YES we are a great leisure activity -
Interview 100 non bowlers (in the 12 - 50 age group) away from the bowling centres with the same question and we then see how good we are?
Interview 100 casual bowlers as above and compare the answer again.
Interview 100 league bowlers as above.

Do a National combined (Sport and Centre) promotion - Impliment the IN CENTRE strategies as above then measure the differences. I am a coach and I think that way - If you can't measure a performance how do you know if you are improving. Is that the reason for these polls? I love this sport - hope we grow and prosper amongst other community backed sports.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :wink:
Cheers Gail

What sport was it you were playing Peter, that required a $50k investment on equipment, and/or $10k on equipment per event?

Pretty sure that TBA memberships haven't been near the $6.60/yr mark for quite some time now as well....

As a social activity, I reckon bowling is fairly good value for money.

If you want to take bowling more competitively, as in one or two leagues per week, still fairly good value.

Once you start looking to go further than that, ie; travel around the country for tournaments, then, the costs start to blow out...

Back
Top Bottom