Country Cup Format - Does It Need To Change?

Hi to all, thanks for the weekend.
A belated congrats to Albury mens and all the Shep team (-1)
To me country cup is the biggest and best tournment to bowl in, no money (you have to pay a bit to be there), the pleasure of catching up with mates and making some new ones.
I started cc in 94 have only missed 2 due to be out of country and missing trails. Thats 11 years and always look forward to going back the next year no matter how **** we went as a team or how well.
This weekend did get a lot of people talking about change and i think in part it is a good thing.
You have to take into account several different groups
1. Those that are there to purley bowl.
2. those that are there to get on the grog (and possibly any thing else that comes their way)
3. The couples that bowl, getting woken up when one goes and one comes home.
4. For me, im there to bowl, drink, catch up but most important have a great weekend. But to have to take 5 days off work is starting to get a bit much.

The best option for me would be to move it to the city,or have it between the two bigger centres, with the host association getting % of lineage and fundraiser activities.

We all want Country Cup to be there for years and years to come.
Which ever way it goes, any option needs to be put down on paper get autographs from all the associations so that we can make country cup even better.

I did ramble a bit but if you love cc why not!!!

Yeah shane ts a great weekend, if we bowled for 6 days it would be awsome, the longer the better i say, more nights out!!!!!!!
All in all it is the toughness of the tournament that makes it so good and so hard to win. So im not sure of the answer. next few years should be ok time wise, maybe we just wait till the problem comes up again then have a discusion like this change nothing and then wait another few years???????????:confused:

Woza, It states that you must be a RESIDENT (not member) for 6 months.
Rob
Team players must be a resident of the association/centre they are representing for a period of at least six (6) months prior to the tournament.
I understand 100% what you are saying Rob but I seethe ruling differently than what you do. In the rule it states that I must be a resident(member) of the association/centre but it does not state where I have to live.
It says that to be eligible that I cannot reside 60km within the city centre but there is no rule that states I must bowl for the nearest centre to my residence. As in grumpie case he lives the on the other side of Sale - but where he paid his membership or more importantly his TBA portion of his membership this dictated his "home" centre. If he chose to pay it at Morwell then he could only represent for Morwell. Me bowling for Sunrayisa was most probably a bad example. If we take two real life scenarios that I think happen. Graeme and Natalie Oconor bowl for ballrat and I believe that they also bowl at Werribee. I assume that they live in Ballarat(meets living outside the 60km zone) - If they paid their TBA portion at Weribee they would be ineligible to represent Ballarat even though they meet the residency criteria. Another scenario is Dave Farky who represents Bendigo - lives in Bendigo but also bowls at Shepparton. If he paid his TBA portion at Shepparton then he would represent them. It might sound like I am splitting hairs but this is how I understand the rule and if it is not meant to be this way then it needs to be looked into

Hi to all, thanks for the weekend.
A belated congrats to Albury mens and all the Shep team (-1)
I saw you giving him "How to become a great CCup bowler according to Griffo" lecture - I thought that it was very well presented;).
I thought that you may have converted him;)

Woz....the how to avoid injury at Country Cup talk by craigy was up there as well :p

Hope ya speech had some impact griffo but I seriously doubt it

hi guys. 230am finish bowling, that would be seriously eating in2 ur drinking time? (adrianS agrees) thats just way 2 heavy. i can c why there is this tooing and froing! wot time do u start in the morning? i realise that at easter a/o and vic150 is on, but couldnt u spread ur 3 days out ova 4? as 4 saying melb isnt central? dont get it? we travel 2 adelaide via bus. we fundraise, its still not a cheap weekend but enjoyable. how can it be enjoyable u are bowling to such "STUPID" times in the morning? for wot i have been reading u's all got to s$%t together and orgainse sumthing proper!!!!!!!

Team players must be a resident of the association/centre they are representing for a period of at least six (6) months prior to the tournament.
I understand 100% what you are saying Rob but I seethe ruling differently than what you do. In the rule it states that I must be a resident(member) of the association/centre but it does not state where I have to live.
It says that to be eligible that I cannot reside 60km within the city centre but there is no rule that states I must bowl for the nearest centre to my residence. As in grumpie case he lives the on the other side of Sale - but where he paid his membership or more importantly his TBA portion of his membership this dictated his "home" centre. If he chose to pay it at Morwell then he could only represent for Morwell. Me bowling for Sunrayisa was most probably a bad example. If we take two real life scenarios that I think happen. Graeme and Natalie Oconor bowl for ballrat and I believe that they also bowl at Werribee. I assume that they live in Ballarat(meets living outside the 60km zone) - If they paid their TBA portion at Weribee they would be ineligible to represent Ballarat even though they meet the residency criteria. Another scenario is Dave Farky who represents Bendigo - lives in Bendigo but also bowls at Shepparton. If he paid his TBA portion at Shepparton then he would represent them. It might sound like I am splitting hairs but this is how I understand the rule and if it is not meant to be this way then it needs to be looked into

Woza

I agree with your interpretation.

It DOES need to be clarified. A bowler, in good faith, could be put out of bowling CC, by making a decision ( in my case Shepparton) and then be told by the association, that he/she has it wrong.

hi guys. 230am finish bowling, that would be seriously eating in2 ur drinking time? (adrianS agrees) thats just way 2 heavy. i can c why there is this tooing and froing! wot time do u start in the morning? i realise that at easter a/o and vic150 is on, but couldnt u spread ur 3 days out ova 4? as 4 saying melb isnt central? dont get it? we travel 2 adelaide via bus. we fundraise, its still not a cheap weekend but enjoyable. how can it be enjoyable u are bowling to such "STUPID" times in the morning? for wot i have been reading u's all got to s$%t together and orgainse sumthing proper!!!!!!!

Bowling starts at 8 in the morning there is a total of 16 games bowled a day 8 by the men and 8 by the women in 4 alternating 4 game blocks 5 man teams. This year the men sarted and the women were second - If you allow 1 hour per game (i hink that they allow 55min per game) this is 16 hours and add 40min after each block for lane maintenance 30 min and a 10 min warmup this is another 2 hours (this happens only 3 times) then all of a sudden total of 18 hours so by starting at 8am you are looking at a 2am finish whih is pretty close to where we ended up. When you look at it bowling into the early hours of the morning and then getting up the next day and doing it all again may be crazy but this is what makes this tournament what it is. The problem that I can forsee is that people (bowlers, spectators, bus drivers etc) (bus driver will drop off and pick up each team after their block so he is doing this roughly every four hours - he picks up the ladies at 2 am and then is back up to drop the men off at 7:30am) afer doing this for a weekend they are travelling 3-4 hours (sometimes in groups sometimes alone) and some are travelling double this time to get back home. In saying this though alot of people are now staying the Monday night and travelling home on he Tuesday

For those that are interested regarding Friday night bowling:
When Colac was due to host CC in 2003 they suggested that they bowl some rounds on Friday night. This appeared to be un-popular and at a meeting at Shepparton in 2002 on the Friday night before CC a motioned was moved by an Association and was passed by a majority
That bowling would not take place on the Friday night of the long weekend of March.
As the motion was worded (long week-end of March), Colac then sought approval to hold CC on the Easter weekend, and they bowled four game for both Men and Ladies on the Friday.
MWS

I understand 100% what you are saying Rob but I seethe ruling differently than what you do.

Ok, I realise that people read and interpret the way words and sentences are presented differently, but this rule was clarified at the last VCTBA meeting at which your association had a representative attend. A discussion followed with the result being :~

Bowler Clarification - VCTBA received an enquiry from ******* regarding a ********** bowler who wishes to play Country Cup for them. It was pointed out that the rules clearly state that a bowler must reside in the association/centre for a least 6 months prior to the tournament. Therefore if a ********** bowler wishes to play for ******* in 2008, they must be living in ******* by early September 2007.

Hope this clears the rule up for you.

My take on this would be that if you have bowlers that are local and meet all of your associations criteria then they should be in your team regardless of ability or popularity before someone that resides else where.
I also realise that there are some exceptions to this rule but a quick call to one of the executive from VCTBA should clear it up for you.

Rob

For those that are interested regarding Friday night bowling:
When Colac was due to host CC in 2003 they suggested that they bowl some rounds on Friday night. This appeared to be un-popular and at a meeting at Shepparton in 2002 on the Friday night before CC a motioned was moved by an Association and was passed by a majority
That bowling would not take place on the Friday night of the long weekend of March.
As the motion was worded (long week-end of March), Colac then sought approval to hold CC on the Easter weekend, and they bowled four game for both Men and Ladies on the Friday.
MWS

Thanks for clearing that up. Now the idea can be put to bed! (Still liked the idea though). Iwas gonna mess with ya head Rob about this hypathetical, I live between Morwell and Sale so where is my resdency based then if a bowled at both? But i wont do that to ya. he he he :D

Thanks for clearing that up. Now the idea can be put to bed! (Still liked the idea though). Iwas gonna mess with ya head Rob about this hypathetical, I live between Morwell and Sale so where is my resdency based then if a bowled at both? But i wont do that to ya. he he he :D

But I will:D :rolleyes: ;)

Believe your home centre is the one where you are first registered. If you pay your TBA registration at Sale then you are eligible to bowl for Sale and not Morwell and visa versa.
Not sure about us and the Werribee thing though, given Werribee is not a VCTBA centre or association.
We also bowled at Forest Hill for a couple of years. Would seem a bit stupid that even though we live and bowl in Ballarat that we would be ineligible to bowl CC just because we paid our TBA portion of our registration in Melb. Still pay our BTBA dues.
Graeme

This is no longer the case Graeme.

Home centre is where you live (reside) - no longer where you first pay your sanction fees (i am pretty sure that is correct).

Believe your home centre is the one where you are first registered. If you pay your TBA registration at Sale then you are eligible to bowl for Sale and not Morwell and visa versa.
Not sure about us and the Werribee thing though, given Werribee is not a VCTBA centre or association.
We also bowled at Forest Hill for a couple of years. Would seem a bit stupid that even though we live and bowl in Ballarat that we would be ineligible to bowl CC just because we paid our TBA portion of our registration in Melb. Still pay our BTBA dues.
Graeme
Again splitting hairs but when I was looking into bowling at Naree and also at Sale you had to be sure where you paid your TBA portion (which you only pay once thank god) no matter how many centres you represent- Ie if I paid it at Sale - then Sale becomes my home centre even though I live closer to Morwell. If I pay it at Shepparton then does Shepparton become my home centre (this is the point that I was tryin to get across the other day) even though I live no where no near there (I will say it again there is no rule that states where I have to live as long as I dont live within 60km of the city centre) In Granat case if he/she paid their TBA portion at Weibee or Forest Hill that becomes their home centre even though he lives in Ballarat. I understand why the rule is in place but it will catch someone unaware and render them ineligible if they are not
1. Aware of the potential trap
2. Tidy up the ruling at the next AGM.

I understand why the rule is in place but it will catch someone unaware and render them ineligible if they are not
1. Aware of the potential trap
2. Tidy up the ruling at the next AGM.
Seems like a long shot someone will get caught out as someone from another team would have to be a bit of an a******e to persue the clause, but No#2 seems like it must be done. Now thats cleared up back to the format anymore ideas to better the tourny?

Back
Top Bottom