Does Victoria need its own version of the Super 6

xpense

retired
I am just curious to find out, if the bolwers of Victoria would like more scratch tournaments to compete in.

Since the ATBA, is no longer running as many (only 2), it seams that we now only have a couple of events in this state to compete in for those that can not afford to travel every couple of weeks.

It would be good to be able to establish a Victorian version of the Super 6 to held around the state, at both city & country centres, to ensure that we all get a fair go with travel costs.

To have 6 centres, 6 different formats, an overall state winner, would be great, and hopefully give more bowlers the chance to feel they can compete with the bowlers from around the country.

You could hold events in the non Super 6 months. This would ensure that bowlers who competed in both would not be facing extra costs in the same month, and would allow numbers to be solid.

We only need to look at the Warrnambool Cup numbers to see that Vic bolwers enjoy good scratch tournaments, and that we are in need of more, especially if they had the same type of payouts.

Of course to make this happen, it would take a lot of sponsorship, and support from all the bowlers, and of course we not prevent the interstaters from competing, and hopefully donating to our cause.

We had such a circuit in 2002. It was sponsored by Goldpin centres around the state.

To tell you the truth..I don't know what happened to it or why it folded. I can say however, that when I won the BendiGold Tournament, they didn't even give me a trophy for my win..That's NOT how to run a tournament circuit.

Good luck with your idea...I can offer you my tournament promoter experience. Just say the word.

Wayne Chester

chester,

If this is able to go, then l will be happy to ask.

And that sucks that you did not get a trophy, you should alsways get a trophy, and even sometimes a shirt. It is good for the sponsors, and the bowlers, who do win, as they like to reminders, even those who win time and time again, as it is always good to have the memories of days gone by. Especially if you find a slump, as it can sometimes give you insperation to find that winning formula once again.

I am not to sure what happened with the Goldpin circuit, but l think it may have been the sponsorhip, and unrealistic hopes by soem centres.

For example, 1 tournament was based on 72 entries, but only had 1 squad for qualifiing, and the final was shedualed to be played at 2:00pm the same day. The entry fee was $175.00, and the payout was not that great, but when l saw people read the entry form, most people thought it was joke. 1 squad, 72 bolwers, start at 9, final at 2, just not possible, and true bowlers knew this, and as you can imagine, this was cancelled.

The event at Werribee was held again this year, and was good, but l dont think any other events where held.

The Goldpin circuit was good in theroy, but not sure exactly what happened.

in reply to the original post

YES YES and YES

i would be the first person to buy a revamped ATBA membership

The werribee tournament is running again next year. entry forms are just waiting to go once we have our accreditation number.
all systems go and we could incorporate it as part of a circuit if you wish.
There is also The mentone and mooroolbark tournament but i Think it is part of anoTher groups circuit.

edi

Would the 'twin tour' format as used in QLD work down here?

ps
I agree with Craig too, bring back the ATBA(especially the shirts!) time for everyone to sac up and start bowling again!

In response to the Question that Mentone & Mooroolbark was held, that is correct, but was held under the MTBOV flag.

Thanks to werribee for advising they would be willing to participate in this. Its great to see centres getting behind the idea, at the very early stage of concept only, and just asking posing the question to all bowlers.

Not 100% sure if this will be feasible in 2004 for the entire year, but am looking at trying to start for 2005. Hopefully if sponsors can be located, with a long term goal in mind, and reasonable dollars, and centres are willing to back us, we can get the circuit going again. Would really like to have the tournaments based around the concept of the Warrnambool cup idea, for prizefund, and even entry fees.

i have done the numbers, and until centres can bring their lineage costs back to $3.00 a game

a successful tournament circuit will not become again

all we require is 12 centres willing to give us that game rate for 8 hours on a saturday and 8 hours on a sunday ONCE A YEAR

they can charge their $8.00 a game for the other 363 days of the year

GEES WE ARE ASKING FOR TOO MUCH AREN"T WE ???

Craig,

Do we really need 12 centres wiiling to go to $3.00 per game?

I am sure that if someone was able to set-up a circuit with say 5 - 6 tournaments a year, run in different months to the good Victorian singles tournaments that would be enough for all.

For example.

January
February Vic circuit tournament
March Vic Circuit Tournament
April Australian Open
May Vic Circuit Tournament
June Melbourne Cup
July Vic Circuit Tournament
August Vic Open
September South Pacifc
October Vic Circuit Tournament
November Warnambool Cup
December

With this type of format, it would give bowlers a tournament every month from Feb to Nov, and allow Dec & Jan to have some time off from the circuit. I know not all bowlers would compete in the majors (Super Six events melb cup), but this would allow those that did, not to be hit to hard with trying to fund a major event and another tournament that same month.

This gives you 10 tournaments in the year, without traveling interstate. It may also allow more people to have a go at the super six events in Victoria. Maybe even offer spots in the other events as prizes during different events. for example - Feb = Aust Open, Mar = Melb Cup, May = Vic Open, July = Sth Pacific, Oct = Warrnambool.

Now of course this all sounds great but sponsors are what is needed, and a way to encourage more big firms to take our sport seriously in terms of sport.

Would love to hear some ideas, on how to bring more sponsors to the sport, so that this is not just a post, but a possibility in 2005, or even with a couple of events this year, to start it off.

If you have the ideas post them, and lets see what can be done.

thanks

Lance

im all for the idea. it will help bring Vic bowling back to the top and be a force again.

Now as for sponsors what sort of dollars are you looking at. I run a very small company that might be interested. i will crunch some numbers and see what i can come up with for 2005. I have already put up for offer $500 towards the rachuig team on the condition that we get 50+ bowlers (i think thats what i said) try out. I would like to here what sort of sponsorship you are after. Basically if i can get even one enquiry from the sponsorship then its been worth it and Vic bowling will benefit too. Let me know your thoughts.

Incase it helps also i can get good prices on large format printing (banners & posters) so if that helps for advertising an event let me know.

At this stage, l have not got full figures on what would be required, but l will put togther a proprosed event, and prizefund (both will only be as a guide to get feedback on format, cost, prizefund).

I will place details of the sponsorship required to run the tournament, based on different game rates, entries, admin costs, overall champions, giveaways, and extra's that l would like to see as part of this series, to ensure that ll bowlers who compete are well looked after.

At this stage to go with the arlier posts about events, l would like to see the following as part of this series to ensure we keep bowlers competing, and don't feel like they are donating at every event.

Overall winner based on points format
Discount entry fees - for following year if you bowl every event
membership fees - free for next year if you dont cash at any event.
Free tournament entry fees for super six events
Perpetual trophies for each event
Overall perpetual trophy

If you can think of ideas you would like to see as well, please feel free to add to the list, and all will be looed at.

As l say, l am still very much in the very early stages of this concept.

In relation to my last post about putting some figures together, here we go, with a mock up outline of an event.

Please provide feedback, as l can re-work prizefund, entry fees, and of course format.

Just be aware that if we all want lower entry fees, that means more sponsorship, or less prizefund, or fewer people paid.

We must do our best with any event put on to ensure that we are not to top heavy, and that we pay past the cut, to ensure that everyone feels they are able to have a chance at cashing. (but everyone can make the finals, if they believe)

Outline of costs.

Prizefund $7500.00 +
Game rate of $4.00 (need to see if possible anywhere)
This would require a sponsorship package of $2000.00 for this event based on the format, and costs listed.

l have attached a word doc for you to view, in relation to event.

On this format, you double your qualifying entry fee for making the cut, and double your full fee for finishing top 8. Money back for 18th.

I am happy to put together a few other ideas, from your suggestions.

As it apears the link is not working - probably my fault - here are the details of what was proposed.

Prizefund in excess of $7500.00

Based on 60 entries

Entry fee $150.00
Matchplay $50.00

10 Games qualifying

Top 12 advance to Matchplay
(all bowlers in the Matchplay must pay additional $50.00 to compete)

11 Games Matchplay – 1 positional round

Winner decided on scratch pinfall

Payout 2 in 5

1st $1000
2nd $800
3rd $600
4th $500

5th $475, 6th $450, 7th $425, 8th $400
9th $375, 10th $350, 11th $325, 12th $300
13th $200, 14th $190,15th $180,16th $170
17th $160, 18th $150, 19th $140, 20th $130
21st $120, 22nd $110, 23rd $100, 24th $90

On this format, you double your qualifying entry fee for making the cut, and double your full fee for finishing top 8. Money back for 18th.

I am happy to put together a few other ideas, from your suggestions.

Looks not too shabby there Lance.. I'll get Ralphy to have a read and see what he thinks.

By the way - the link to your word doc worked just fine when I tried to check it out... I'll actually print it out and take it with me to the bowl tonight to see what some of the other guys think and I'll let you know. :D

Back
Top Bottom