MTBOV - what needs to be done for more bowlers?

xpense

retired
The MTBOV has once again completed another year, for open tournaments to non-members.

Only 1 tournament left for the members who have competed in 4 tournaments this year.

The MTBOV has been struggling for numbers all year, with the exception of the Vic Open held at Mooroolbark in August ( numbers still down on last year).

The MTBOV runs two divisions, Handicap & Classic/Graded combined, each month a handicap tournament is held, and every other month a Classic/Graded tournament is held the week after handicap.

Over the course of this year a majority of the bowlers who have competed in the Classic/Graded event have also bowled the week prior. This is a great commitment to the MTBOV and to bowling.

What l would like to ask is all those bowlers that would like to bowl in a lower cost tournament each month ($95 members, $105 non members, in 2003, 8 games qualifing, top 8 matchplay) to post a reply here and advise what they would like to see the MTBOV do next year that would make you want to compete in these events.

I am more than happy to pass on any suggestions to them, including the ideas, of only scratch events, only handicap events, a new handicap system, new formats, earlier entry forms in centres.

Even an idea like bowlers chose prior to qualifying that they are bowling in Scratch or handicap, and we all qualify at the same time and then break into different matchplay groups, and have two different prize funds for each.
The prizefund could be adjusted if more bowlers nominate scratch than handicap and vise versa.

This would allow all types of bowlers to compete each month and would give bowlers the chance to bowl more lower cost tournaments.

As l have been bowling in the MTBOV on and off for over 8 years, l have seen a large number of bowlers coem and go. I would like to see the tournaments continue each month and with the 2 different divisions, not 1 as is the rumor for next year (Handicap Only).

If we the bowlers get behind the MTBOV, and advise what we would like to see in the future, l am sure that new and wonderful tournaments will occur each and every month, that are what you have been requesting.

I look forward to all the wonderful responses, regardless of if they are positive or negative, as all the issues need to be adressed to ensure the survival of the MTBOV, as we have already lost the ATBA, to only 2 tournaments a year from 12.

One thing the MTBOV could do is run a few more tournaments like the Vic Open where the higher average bowlers are not penalised with a negative handicap.

I know a few people who would bowl more tournaments if the negative handicap was removed, especially now there are not a lot of tournaments run by the ATBA that cater for scratch bowling.

The committee and organisers do a great job, all the tournaments are run in a professional manner and well organised so i don't think this side of the MTBOV is stopping people from bowling.

Maybe a format like Warrnambool might work where you pay X amount to qualify and the X amount if you make the cut. Warrnambool gets great numbers every year and is also a great social event.

Thorpey

Thorpey,

Thanks for the response will pass onto MTBOV at the AGM, and l agree with you fully, on the negative handicap, as this does distract bowlers from bowling. I would like to see more of the format like Vic Open, and maybe combine that with the Warnambool Cup entry fee structure, and we could increase numbers even more.

Thanks

Lance

A thought on next years formats for The MTBOV

Being close to the MTBOV committee, I understand the frustration about the lack of numbers for each tournament.

Maybe a suggestion for The New Year is to have a Handicap Division based on 40 bowlers. The format would be top 16 after 8 games qualifying, top 16 would then bowl another 3 games (This would be stage 2). After the 3 games, cut to top 8 and then 7 games matchplay (This would be stage 3)... As was the same as this year.

Instead of having Classic/Graded ... I suggest a scratch division only. Depending on the numbers, based on between 40-60 bowlers. The format would be 10 games qualifying and then cut to top 12, then 11 games matchplay. No step-ladder. I think $100 entry fee would be fair and then prize fund would be adjusted based on numbers.

That would give the handicap bowlers and scratch bowlers the opportunity to bowl competitive tournaments monthly, because at the moment apart from the MTBOV and The Major Tournaments that are bowled in Victoria there isn't much else to bowl in.

The only way this will work, if we get the support from the bowlers.

This is only a suggestion, please reply with any other suggestions!!

Thanks to those that have given a couple a ideas for next year, and the future.

The ideas by Thorpey & Spectator are all good to try and bring in more bowlers and open the MTBOV back up to all bowlers, high and low averages.

Ideas are:

one entry fee to qualify, and then a second entry fee for the finals.
this idea would be great as it could guarentee prize money, which would assist in bring back numbers.

Scratch divison

10 or 12 games qualifing, top 12, 11 matchplay, winner on total pinfall.

run more events like Vic Open, scratch & handicap together.

The most common thing mentioned is the prizemoney around all tournaments, and if we the bowlers are willing to support then the prizefund will be able to be increased rather than decreased at all tournaments.

A prime example is the Warnambool Cup, being held next weekend, that has a maximum of 78 bowlers, and at present has 77 entries. The formula for this event is very easy. $110 for qualifing, and $50 for the final. 10 games qualifing, top 15 matchplay, 15 matches. A great formula, and the prizefund will be paid well down the order.

IF more ideas can be posted, they can be taken to the AGM, and proposed.

Thanks

My suggestion is a bit left field but here goes.

64 entries max. 32 games head to head drawn out of a hat. hdcped with negitive hdcps. If not enough entries blinds as required placed into hat. loose and your out. Win 2 games get your money back. and so on. Entrie fee $50 based on a game rate of $5 game prize fund will be $2500 approx. maximum games to win torney wouild be 6 games. All games are head to head match play no bonus. WIn and u go forward loose and your out. Similiar to high roller format bowled in usa except hdcps apply. If you require anymore info let me know

Phillip Allen

MTBOV Tournaments

Great two days at Mooroolbark,congrats Barry Dodds and tournament organisers,Gary,Bruce,Colin,Sue and Simon. Just a thought about next year,why not keep the same format but add a repechage final for bowlers who miss the cut.Cut the the top eight as normal then take the next seven highest scores and play a 1 game stepladder final.EG,7v6v5v4,winner v3v2,winner v1.Prize for repechage to be about same as 8th place in qualifying.This format should not add too much to organisers costs as it requires only 2 lanes and 9 extra games. This appeals to me as it adds extra value for your bowling dollar,who likes to pay $110 then only bowl 8 games? Perhaps prizemoney can be beefed up by seeking out sponsorship and gifts from bowling companies eg,AMF,Goldpin, Ebonite etc. Just my two bobs worth!! CHARLIE

Seeing as the MTBOV was originally an offshoot of the (now) ATBA maybe the 2 organisations can join up together for a few tourneys. Use the vic open format, that way the 'scratch' finalists can play for an ATBA title while the 'graded' part of the field has matchplay for an MTBOV title. Of course if 200 former tourney bowlers popped up from 'nowhere' we could have the old 3 grades of MTBOV, the ATBA and VGBO(what ever happened to them?) back again too, any way of getting that many guys back in the game?

Back
Top Bottom