Anyone hear of the new tournament proposals from AMF?

jockey

I have heard that AMF is compiling a list of the Top 30 Bowlers on Average from each of their centres in Melbourne. I believe this is to guage the interest of such bowlers in the running of a graded or classic bowling circuit in Melbourne.

Has anyone heard any details about this?

I for one would like to see something go ahead even if the average cut offs decided meant I was precluded or had to bowl with a negative handicap. What do anyone else think?

With the failure of the MTBOV to attract enough bowlers to make the tournaments attractive to bowl in regularly I hope something can be worked out to get a regular circuit up and running again in Victoria.

Well done Tony Goodwin for at least trying to get something off the ground.

I believe the response to the MTBOV tournament held at Menotne where the qualifying format for the tournament was run on similar lines to that to decide the bowlers in the ECCC (East Coast Challenge Cup) trials proved to be a succesful format. Maybe this could be used as an idea to get feedback from potential bowlers.

For the uninformed the format was the top 10 bowlers on scratch make the matchplay as the scratch finalists and then these bowlers are removed from the list, and the remaining bowlers have their total handicap added to their scratch scores, and the top 10 bowlers on handicap are declared the finalists for the graded division.

This format gave all bowlers two chances to make the finals and did prove the most popular format run by the MTBOV this year.

What do all you other potential participants think? Hve anyone of you have any ideas on any other potential attractive formats.

Regards
Jockey

Cool, does that mean because I had a "relaxed" year that my 165 average don't cut it, and I cant compete next year?

I think there will be some details out soon .. And as far as I know the events will just have handicaps and allow all bowlers to bowl.

Good news for Victorian bowling !

The format mentioned for the Mentone event of the MTBOV, is also used for the VIC OPEN at Mooroolbark, in August. It has been successfull in both centres, and this has a lot to do with the backing of these to Goldpin Centres.

The MTBOV has bolwed 6 events (i think) this year in AMF centres. The numbers of local centre bolwers, have not been very good, if not poor from these centres. The only centre bolwers to give it a go, have been those bowlers who already bowl MTBOV, and they just happen to be at their home centre.

I believe ths is mainly due to the poor exposure of the tournaments hald in these centres. As l have contacted the centres in the days leading up to the events to confirm starting times, and the staff on many an occasion have not even know about the event happening.

The MTBOV does have a number of issues that need to be sorted, and of of those is getting entry forms to bowlers more than 2 prior to the event, to ensure numbers are able to increase. The MTBOV is a good place for the bowlers who feel they are not upto scratch events, but feel they are able to compete if they are on a level playing field. To ensure this happens, some changes would need to be introduced to the MTBOV, but support from both the bowlers, and centres is required to assist, but this will also be required to start the AMF circuit.

If this circuit is started, all l can say is l hope they are able to make a go of it, because it will effectivly finish the MTBOV, and then if AMF decides it is not worth it, we will be without a circuit of any form in Victoria, and we will all be worse off for this.

This will effect all bowlers within our state, as we are all now all saying we need a circuit, for not only scratch bowlers, but graded, and handicap bowlers.

Just my thoughts, and you dont have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom