What Type Of Tournament

grinny1

grinny
After being asked by a centre manager today what type of tournament do i think would bring bowlers in, I have to ask the question. what does everyone else think! No tap, scratch, handicap, marathons with or without max cut off how many games and what format?

why not have some sort of combination of all and then all parties would generally be satisfied and happy to bowl in

like we spoke about, a marathon in the same format as mildura and werribee as a sponsored event with gauranteed prize money and not based on a certain amount of bowlers, limit it to 38-40 teams of 3 with 70% of 200 handicap, and promote it properly and not just a bit of paper stuck on a counter in some obscure place, chase up sponsors like local motels, coca cola, local businesses etc and hopefully it'll get the support of all bowlers

Question to all?
If the Mildura marathon was replicated in Melbourne somewhere would you bowl?
- 28 teams, 60 games, teams of 2 or 3 people, 4 teams per lane, handicap 70% of 200
I know l would for sure. The marathon is just one of those events that is so much fun to bowl (especially at approx 3am after no sleep a lot of :5shotss::JD::drunk:)

I am sure if the sponsors could be found, the 28 team spots would fill very fast.....

Lance,

I would be into a Marathon format also.

Narre Warren has a local Krispy Cremes (so they may be a sponsorship starter). It really is a matter of finding an appropriate date, and a reasonable prize fund - the bowlers will flock to something like this.

VB

WERRIBEE SUPERBOWL will be holding their 60 game Marathon on ANZAC DAY weekend in 2008 again.. It's a rotten shift to work but we are gluttons for punishment....... Everyone who has bowled it has had an enjoyable time.

We have a 33 team schedule each year (teams of 3). If you wish to be included on our mail out just send me your details via pm.

Edi

a lot of us are already in for werribee and sunraysia but how about a centre on the east side of melbourne doing something

grinny

Marathons are good but it is the 70% of 200 part of the equation that I believe will keep bowlers away or prevent new bowlers from giving it a go.
If a 120 average bowler new to tournaments were to bowl and bowled exactly average in the first game they would be credited with a score of 193.
Now a 190 average bowler experienced in tournaments doing the same would get credited with a score of 197.
Disadvantaged by 4 pins per game and also from lack of experience (knowing how many games to bowl before resting, when to eat, sleep etc.). This I suggests tells me that the 120 average bowler will not even bother to enter.
The whole problem with bowling in this country is that everyone seems to be under the illusion that non 100% handicapping advantages the lower average bowler. The reality is that each 10% below 100% further disadvantages the lower average bowler by 1 pin.
A possibly fair handicapping system could be based on 100% of the average of the highest averaged bowler in the event. This of course is impractical as you cannot really plan an event this way as the highest average bowler may be the last to enter the event just before entries are closed.
An average is just that a mean score for the number of games that have been used to calculate it. There are always people who attempt to gain an advantage by not presenting a true average (some say sandbag).
Until the bias against lower average (the majority of bowlers remember) is properly addressed in this country then tournaments and tournament numbers will remain in decline.
TBA showed clearly that they only represent the elite level bowler in this country and clearly don't understand bowling when they canned the Walter Daveer representative side. This event was clearly of more value to its bowling members than the Rachuig event is so I can't understand why they still think that the majority of bowlers still need to pay them a registration fee. TBA clearly don't provide any value to the lower average bowler at all. Unfortunately TBA has only enhanced this bias and therfore I believe are not the body that should be administering bowling in this country.

Terry, just on the bit about the 70% of 200, this is the formula currently used by the Mildura marathon, and it has a waiting list year in year out to compete.

I also bowled in a league that introduced 80% of the highest league average, that league was 28 teams of 4, 2 years later it was down to 14 teams, as bowlers felt that it was unfair, and was a disadvantage to the higerh average bowlers. But this is all for anoterh topic.

What the question was and still is what type of tournaments would you bowl in?

Has anyone thought of going to an even bigger marathon.......

Looking at lane draws for the 2 60 game marathons, it has been noted by a large number of the bowlers that you seem to play the same teams over, and at times not play other teams at all....

Without actually sitting down with Werribees draw & Mildura's draw l can not confirm the exact details of this..

I know that in years past l have played the same teams at both events, but not sure about not playing any teams though.

If we look at the numbers.

Mildura:
28 Teams (27 opposition) - play 3 new teams each round, after 9 rounds (45 games) you have played all teams. 3 rounds remain, so you play 1/3 of the field twice.

Werribee:
33 teams (32 oposition) - play 2 new teams each round, 11 rounds means you could play 22 teams, out of 32.

What about looking at say a 90 game marathon. 28 teams. 18 rounds. This means you play all teams twice.....

Would make hell of a long event....approx 45 hours by my calculations...

whos up for a real challenge...

Question? If you ran a handicap system where,
100-130 average = 90% of 200:
131-160 average = 80% of 200:
161 & over = 70% of 200:
and you had a prize fund which pays down to about 15th place still with individual awards for high game per block, would you think that may entice a lot more lower handicap bowlers to "have a go"
Maybe Jim could get in contact with Mildura and find out what makes theirs so successful and copy a lot of the little things like lane conditions, walkie talkies and all that sort of stuff, Surely a lot of motels in the area would kick in for sponsorships to get advertising coca cola i know have a huge sponshorship fund,
any ideas?

My suggestion for a time to run this sort of event would be one of the following months,

Jan, May, July or Dec. The only problem with May & July is that is puts it close to the other 2 60 game Marathons, and May is now used to hold rachuig roll offs. Dec is alos filled with a lot xmas stuff for people to do.

Mid Jan looks like a good time to hold another one of these events. Say approx 12 & 13 Jan next year.

This is based on the following evemts in Victoria (Inc Australian Nationals as well)

Jan -
Feb - state champs
Mar - Country Cup & easter (AO & Vic 150)
Apr - Werribee ANZAC day marathon
May - Rachuig roll offs
Jun - Melbourne Cup
Jul -
Aug - Mildura marathon
Sept - SPC, Daryl Holt challenge
Oct - Nationals
Nov - Warnambool Cup, Dunn Shield, Emerson Shield
Dec -

After being asked by a centre manager today what type of tournament do i think would bring bowlers in, I have to ask the question. what does everyone else think! No tap, scratch, handicap, marathons with or without max cut off how many games and what format?
Is the aim to attract more bowlers who might later be turned into regulars customers or more immediate income? The longer the format the more immediate income you'll see, however you won't get much of a long term return. I'd go with a 3 game beat the board format tournament, with multiple re-entries allowed
Marathons are good but it is the 70% of 200 part of the equation that I believe will keep bowlers away or prevent new bowlers from giving it a go.
If a 120 average bowler new to tournaments were to bowl and bowled exactly average in the first game they would be credited with a score of 193.
Now a 190 average bowler experienced in tournaments doing the same would get credited with a score of 197.
Your math is wrong....The 120 average bowler will receive only 56 pins hdcp per game while the 190 averager will get 7 pins a game hdcp..Both bowling exactly their average will result in the 190 average player winning by 21 pins per game , 197 to 176.
Question? If you ran a handicap system where,
100-130 average = 90% of 200:
131-160 average = 80% of 200:
161 & over = 70% of 200:
any ideas?
Badly thought out Russell..in this scenario the 130 average bowler would receive 8 pins a game more handicap than the 131 averager bowler etc.

Wayne you have way too much time on your hands . Cheers Ralph .

Which is one of the reasons why I would be an excellent choice to head the TBA. :)

That, plus the undeniable fact that I'm as honest as they come with absolutely NO prejudices.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE
VOTE CHESTER IN 2008!

Back
Top Bottom