Big names set to come down under in October

So many people complain about TBA, and I'm not saying complaints shouldn't be made, but to operate as a Sport Administration Body, and to do so effectively, such a body NEEDS MONEY.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE to regulate and promote a sport otherwise.
Just so you know where I'm coming from, I was NSW Manager of CAMS ( Confederation of Australian Motor Sport ) for a number of years. The NSW operation of CAMS was so much bigger that all of TBA. We had to raise a lot of money to be effective. That was mainly, but not exclusively from our members.
CAMS had an advantage that TBA will never have. CAMS had control to a considerable extent of the promoters and venues. Because you couldn't compete in a race meeting, rally, motorkhana, etc., etc., without a CAMS licence, and because the organiser of, say, a rally couldn't organise the event without a licence, or CAMS Stewards, and because all race circuits also had to be to CAMS standards, be licenced, and that EACH EVENT had to have a permit ,and could only be entered by CAMS Licence Holders, and there were charges levied on every organiser, or race circuit owner for every CAMS service. Even Sponsors, via Entrants Licences, had to kick in money to CAMS.
Even the likes of Kieth Williams, ( of Seaworld and Hamilton Island fame) and who owned 4 or 5 race circuits, complied with CAMS rules. Without CAMS permission, effectively, he couldn't have operated. Can you imagine every Bowling Centre in Australia being dependant on TBA to be able to operate? Is it not the other way around?
So, TBA may not be great - They'll never be very effective at all without a good, and dependable financial base. At the moment it is almost exclusively up to It's members to supply that base. Instead, I seem to get the impression that members want to pay, say $20.00, and be able to see that they get at least $40.00 back in value.
Am I doing my bit ? No, not at the moment. I'm not a member. I'm waiting for part of me to heal, 'cause I can't bowl until at least June. I have always intended to join again as soon as I can. I will be joining as a Silver Membership. I never considered doing anything else. So should everyone else.

Too many old cranky men on this forum.

For once, I think what George is doing is good, create a hype about the biggest tournament I have ever known in Australia. Sure SPC brought over a few international bowlers from Asian, but its just seems more likely people will come from a lot of places to play for $25k, especially when its pretty cheap to fly into Sydney these days.

I don't think anyone is doing more promoting that George, so you should all be thanking him, even if people don't show up on the day, he is still getting the word out there.

Too many old cranky men on this forum.

Agree, in particular one, who never seems to have a positive word to say. I think he just needs a good hug.

Any promotion is good promotion. If we can get 5, 10 or 20 top international players to come over that is great for promotion of the game within Australia. What good is a $25k prize if 40 people show up to contend.. would be the last time major sponsorship was ever injected to Australian bowling if so..

This could almost be called the joke thread.

Silver membership just to bowl?
People being allowed to bowl if they buy membership the day before it is on even if they are not registered in a league in Australia?
People starting rumours to get bowlers interested in bowling in the tourney?

I decided (only this morning) not to bowl in this even though I had been asked. Glad I did now.

Speaking of jokes.

I would've thought actively promoting a Aust tenpin event overseas would be a good thing.

Getting some quality international bowlers out to Aust to compete might actually create some interest in the media which in turn might create some sponsorship and improvement in the way the sport here is looked upon by the general public.

Lots of whinging goes on here about how the sport is run but when something different is tried even more whinging goes on, no wonder this sport struggles to attract sponsors.

This one tournament could very well decide the fate of tenpin bowling as a sport here in Australia. To be successful, the promoters (TBA & AMF), as well as the bowling proprietor groups, must get the word out to each and every TV network including their regional affiliate stations, as well as the major newspapers and sports magazines. And I don't mean just a press release or two..I mean, someone needs to be in charge of actively promoting the tournament by hounding the media, bombarding them with public interest stories, background info on the bowlers, and anything else which just might create a buzz within the general public.

If the field of bowlers include some of the top players from around the world, then that is a huge plus. The more recognizable names you have, the easier it will be to convince the media of the worthiness of running stories leading up to and during the tournament. Nothing gets more attention from the bowling community than having a stellar field competing for a large prize fund.

This might just be our last chance of keeping the sport alive in this country. I'd give anything to be there competing with the stars of bowling, but my knees just can't take the punishment. So instead, I'll be watching and hoping that the 2010 Australian Masters Tounament is a huge success, supported by a couple hundred or more of Australia's best bowlers competing alongside a multitude of international players.

I agree with Wayne re publicity regarding the Masters - however, I do not hold out a lot of hope re advertising as just look at the promotion for the World Cup spots within the AO and Vic150. I understand that these are AMF events but there does not seem to be any squad listing on the AMF website (if you can understand it!).

The only place it seems to be is on the TBA website and the squad list has finally gone up, a couple of weeks out from the tournaments at Easter. Being able to nominate on a forum and see/check that your deposit has been paid, is much easier to the majority of bowlers. Early squad lists and constant updates generate talk, information updates re motels, pick ups etc. all add to the interest and if promoters do not seem interested or motivated, I cannot see how the bowlers could be otherwise.

Flower

Agree with Wayne 100%. I'll just add a rider. When pumping out publicity - press releases, etc., NEVER give up. Most of it goes into a black hole, but let that have no effect. Just keep it up. If some journo has a bit of space to fill - be sure there's something from you just ready to be used.

Getting some quality international bowlers out to Aust to compete might actually create some interest in the media which in turn might create some sponsorship and improvement in the way the sport here is looked upon by the general public.

And what good would that do to improve he sport

It blatantly obvious that we need to get more bowlers involved

And having some international bowlers here with some media hype is going to do what??

When tiger woods was here how many new golfers picked up the sport??
It possibly worked the other way "I cannot ever do that so I wont even try"

The problem with Tenpin Bowling is its slowly becoming an elite closed shop sport

And what good would that do to improve he sport

It blatantly obvious that we need to get more bowlers involved

And having some international bowlers here with some media hype is going to do what??

When tiger woods was here how many new golfers picked up the sport??
It possibly worked the other way "I cannot ever do that so I wont even try"

The problem with Tenpin Bowling is its slowly becoming an elite closed shop sport

:confused:
I don't see how getting quality international bowlers out to Aust to compete and creating media hype will hurt bowling in this country.

It may help to attract more sponsors and therefore more money which may encourage more bowlers to make the step from social bowler to bowling in tournaments.

I also will contend the point that the sport is dieing in this country, I attended Holt this year as well as Aust Cup in Canberra and it looked reasonably healthy to me, plenty of people willing to compete. While it will never compete with top sports in this country to say it is on the verge of collapsing is probably going too far.

The big problem to me appears to be getting bowlers to step up from events like Holt/Restricted Nationals to the "major" singles/scratch tournaments, and this will always be a problem. But by breeding more numbers in events like Holt you will eventually get some bowlers wanting to step up to the next level.

NEV25. The more high profile a sport, the fewer people will play it ?? Go back to bed for a few minutes, then get up again and start the day anew, determined to look on the bright side. I'm sure you'll feel better.

:confused:
I don't see how getting quality international bowlers out to Aust to compete and creating media hype will hurt bowling in this country.

I agree but I cannot see it helping either

It may help to attract more sponsors and therefore more money which may encourage more bowlers to make the step from social bowler to bowling in tournaments.

You missed one step from social bowler to league bowler
There in my opinion is the problem

NEV25. The more high profile a sport, the fewer people will play it ?? r.

Thats not what I said

How is some international bowler coming to Australia going to lift the profile of the sport considering a Good majority of bowlers and the general public wouldn't have a clue who Jason Belmonty is let alone someone likes Chris Barnes Tore Torgensen Walter ray etc

Like preaching to the converted

Maybe pay Tiger Woods to come out and bowl against some hight profile AFL NRG Stars might be better
Might generate some interest in the Golf, Football Fraternity

Now Thats a concept

"Maybe pay Tiger Woods to come out and bowl against some hight profile AFL NRG Stars might be better
Might generate some interest in the Golf, Football Fraternity"

How how many Silver Memberships do you predict that would take???

George, I'm right behind you. I'm telling people here at WSU and one of them is set to come, and another is a maybe.

I can't understand the constant negativity on this thread. TBA/AMF is attempting to put Australia on the Asian/International bowling map. It might not work, but as bowlers, because that's what we all are, BOWLERS, for once, can't we all just get behind a BOWLING event. Overlook it's flaws and hope that this is the start of something massive.

I hope many international players turn up and we put on a show and give them an atmosphere that makes them say "I WANT to come back to Australia! I will be here next year, with friends"... Then imagine the tournament we could have next year...

Cow

I agree but I cannot see it helping either

You missed one step from social bowler to league bowler
There in my opinion is the problem

Now Thats a concept

nev25, way back when- there used to be a progression from social bowler to league bowler - in really large numbers - and from league to tournament.

Guess what. That was also when there was bowling on Telly here, and in the sports and general sections of newspapers. In other words it was out there - in people's faces. To start with, sure the general public didn't recognise the then names. How do you think they would ever know them then, or in the present if we do nothing different from what we've been doing for the last 10 / 20 or whatever years?

Come on !! Lets get positive. The worst that can happen is that everything stays the same. There's no way that something like this can do damage.

Not sure why there is so much negative response to this thread.

I saw first hand George networking with many international bowlers and promoting the Australian masters.

If only one of these bowlers comes over then it will be successful.

Keep up the good work George as at least you are contributing to this sport.

Excellent post by Cow as well.

George... I'm sorry. Mr. Blanchard is pretty set on coming. The maybe is John Szczerbinski. Either way those boys can play. Luckily they are on my team over here!

Cow

Speaking of jokes.

I would've thought actively promoting a Aust tenpin event overseas would be a good thing.

Lots of whinging goes on here about how the sport is run but when something different is tried even more whinging goes on, no wonder this sport struggles to attract sponsors.

Who complained about the sport being promoted? Another one who needs to learn to read before he replies.

Starting rumours is not a good way to promote the sport. If George has done something to promote it then good luck to him but he could at least name those who might be coming. He admitted himself that he doesn't know for sure so why start this thread at all? I'll start another rumour. Big names might NOT be coming. Makes as much sense as this thread does so far.

Demanding that TBA members pay silver membership to bowl in this is a joke. If the event is truly sponsored then there is no need for that other than a money making scheme.

I also think that allowing people to buy a silver membership when they do not bowl league in Australia is also a joke but I will agree to disagree on that one. IF big names do come then it can only be good for promoting things so it is a catch 22 thing.

Who complained about the sport being promoted? Another one who needs to learn to read before he replies.

Starting rumours is not a good way to promote the sport. If George has done something to promote it then good luck to him but he could at least name those who might be coming. He admitted himself that he doesn't know for sure so why start this thread at all? I'll start another rumour. Big names might NOT be coming. Makes as much sense as this thread does so far.

Demanding that TBA members pay silver membership to bowl in this is a joke. If the event is truly sponsored then there is no need for that other than a money making scheme.

I also think that allowing people to buy a silver membership when they do not bowl league in Australia is also a joke but I will agree to disagree on that one. IF big names do come then it can only be good for promoting things so it is a catch 22 thing.

Silver membership is $50, get over yourself.

Rumors create hype, how is that not good. Im excited to see what happens, and who i might have the chance to bowl against.

As for where does 25k come from, thats first place for the mens, or so ive heard.

Might be me reading into it too much but I have noticed that the last few events of the PBA on foxtel were on the weekend they were bowled. (for us it would be Monday) instead of being delayed by a minimum of 2 weeks. I can't see a major provider doing that for a sport which many consider to be a fringe or minority sport...

It might be that optimist in me coming out but I think this tourney will be a good thing for the sport... moreso if it is put out there for everyone to see... ie Mainstream TV etc...

Back
Top Bottom