Ball Return Damaged By Ball...What Can I Do?

J

jeremydenhartog

First off heres what happened. I was bowling at a local bowling center when my ball had gotten "stuck" and was not returning (which is fairly common at this bowling center). I let a worker know my ball had not returned yet. After a couple of minutes my ball returned but with a large gash across one of the finger holes making my ball very uncomfortable and somewhat painful to throw. Is there anything I can do if this happens again? (I relize its probably to late in this instance)...

Firstly, I'd ask the manager if they would fix the ball for you (seeing as it was their ball return). If there's no luck there, talk to the proshop staff and see what they can do for you.

I haven't had anything happen to me like that, but talking with management would be a good start.

Same thing happened to me many years ago at a centre in Melbourne that just opened.
The staff where more than happy to fix (Refurbish)the ball (and they did at no cost to me)

I would talk to the centre manager
Ive found they are usally very helpfull in most situations

I would be a bit concered about your ball getting Stuck(as you put it) down the back,

I was Bowling for years with a ball that was constantly doing the same.(its Very Frustrating)
I asked many house mechanics and got the same answer THE MACHINES NEED CLEANING or THE ARE GETTING A BIT WORN or THEY NEED ADJUSTING etc.
I had some time off from bowling due to illness and returned recently to find a new Mechanic on board.
Yeap my ball got stuck constantly down the back end .
The New Mechanic picked my ball up and pushed a metal ring over to indicate to me the ball was ILLEGALLY undersized????
Thats why the machines wouldnt pick it up

I was also told if I ever bowed a 300 game It may not count as the ball is measured and weighted.

JUST A THOUGHT

What do you do if the ball is undersize? Can you get a refund from the centre/company or do you go to the manufacturer?

Don't Know
In My case it was an old ball and I was told the ball has been refurbished once to many time

I am a Head Mechanic and have 30+ years experience and find that Brunswick A and A2 machines are notorious for ball damage especially if the ballwheel and rails are not setup correctl. AMF machines will generally not do a lot of damage to a ball. Most common in old centres are nail or screw marks from the gutters or kickbacks. Ocassionally an AMF machine may put a burn mark across the edge of a hole if the rear lift belt catches it awkwardly. Some of the new balls with their weird weight blocks can send the ball off the return track due to their out of balance and cause them to crash into the entry of the front ball return. We had a ball return at our centre and it took months to find out what was causing it. It is not always possible to find a cause for a scratch. I find out what type of ball it is and inspect the ball next time it is bowled. I find this is easier than to try and look at the mark and have a bowler "whining" in my ear.
We will repair any machine damage free of charge which generally entails a bit of super glue in the mark and a good polish.

I am a Head Mechanic and have 30+ years experience ......
We will repair any machine damage free of charge which generally entails a bit of super glue in the mark and a good polish.

That's nice, however a bit of super glue and a good polish doesn't neccessarily bring the ball back to it's original surface texture, finish or restore tackiness. With the high performance balls being used in today's game I wouldn't want my ball "fixed" by the tech or pro shop operator for surface blemishes or cuts which are not in the track area of the ball. Bowlers just have to realise that some damage is just unavoidable unless you leave the ball home and never use it.

If there's damage in the track and it causes the ball to leave the lane (thump) during the roll, the proprietor must replace the ball or work out a form of compensation with is agreeable to both parties.

Lucky I read your post because your subject line lead me to believe that your ball had damaged the ball return.

Back
Top Bottom