Kicking Ball Returns

Theres more creative ways to show your displeasure than kicking stuff anyway and it doesnt have to be verbal. I think ive grown out of the nasty stuff as far as booting stuff goes. Recent experience as a laneman has made me realise its my fault 'most' of the time. When its not my fault i'll just sit quietly and wonder why someone i wouldnt employ to collect shopping trolleys has been allowed near a $40,000 oiling machine!!!:chair:

I learned my lesson the hard way in belting ball returns, I used to have the odd swipe at the dodgy old Sure Pik's Moonah had.
When the place got a refit in 2004 they installed much more sturdy ball returns that there's no point hitting - IE: Makes no sound and will probably hurt you before you damage it.
Had a really angry night one night about 12 months ago and bowled poorly, and in annoyance at myself I lashed out with a very big hit with my left hand on this ball return and put one of my knuckles into the palm of my hand.
It was somewhat painful. I never did it again. Lesson learned.

Instead of the ball returns at Moonah, try that steel pole on the approach around lane 16 or 17 somewhere. Punched that on the way back after chopping 4 frames in a row during Rachuig 2006. Lucky I pulled back at the last minute. Only broke 2 bones in my left hand.

Shouldnt matter if it's a tournament/ league or social play it shouldnt be tolerated END OF STORY!!!!!

Who flicks the seat with towels? Waaaay more fun when you flick other bowlers instead :whistling:
-

Not all of us in the players area around would agree to that.......:mad:

Sadly, gone are the days when Tournament Directors would jump on any sort of infraction that happens within the tournament proper, or even league. Perhaps it is the attitude "we'd rather have the bums on seats, despite their behaviour" - did they ever stop to think that maybe a few more bowlers would show up to bowl if they didn't have to watch little tanties being condoned by those in charge???

cut myself short................ Shouldnt matter if it's a tournament/ league or social play it shouldnt be tolerated END OF STORY!!!!!

Especially because I'M the one who has to fix it when it gets broken!!

Andrew

Couldn't agree more. First and final warning at briefing including a you break it you pay for it clause on all entry forms should do the trip and nick this right in the bud. Seems we have to stop being understanding and hit people where it really hurts (the hip pocket) in order to rid us of this enduring problem or any sort of equipment abuse.

Shouldnt matter if it's a tournament/ league or social play it shouldnt be tolerated END OF STORY!!!!!
Wouldn't that be nice? A zero tolerance policy enacted upon social bowlers throwing balls 30 feet, throwing 5 balls at once, using the bumpers when they are older than 12, spilling their bloody beer and chips all through the setee area and generally turning the place into a pig sty. Anyone who's had the misfortune to play at Strikezone with their adhesive setee area flooring recently will know what I'm talking about. It used to happen you know... Remembeer those signs? "No food or drink in the players area."

If someone does that I promise to never kick a ball return in any of their centres ever again. Ever.

Wouldn't that be nice? A zero tolerance policy enacted upon social bowlers throwing balls 30 feet, throwing 5 balls at once, using the bumpers when they are older than 12, spilling their bloody beer and chips all through the setee area and generally turning the place into a pig sty. Anyone who's had the misfortune to play at Strikezone with their adhesive setee area flooring recently will know what I'm talking about. It used to happen you know... Remembeer those signs? "No food or drink in the players area."
If someone does that I promise to never kick a ball return in any of their centres ever again. Ever.

amen to that

I think that what Andrew has said about what happens in the US is a fantastic idea. The policy of if you break it you bought if great, but it should go both ways. If a bowling centres machinery damages my equiptment it should be replaced. Not repaired with a dodgy plug job. How would a centre owner feel if a player smashes a ball return, takes it home and then shows up a week later with it all fiberglassed and patched. It may look ok but it barely works now.

I'm all for the policy of you break it you buy it, but it must be a two way street.

Actually I only partially agree.

I think it's reasonable to expect that my ball will get nicked regularly by the machinery, it is a relatively soft ball.

If it's a large gouge, then I agree it should be repaired since we have a reasonable expectation that our equipment will be returned in good condition.

Similar to golf, the ball gets cuts or roughness from general use, but you reasonably expect that if you put it where it's meant to go (the fairway and greens) then it will be undamaged. I'm sure if the mower ran over it mid-game they'd replace it (there's $2 they'll miss on the bottom line :p)

In my experience, centres are pretty good about significant damage

I think Andrew’s idea has a lot of merit to it…

Only problem I see is a bowler buys a new one he then thinks he owns it…sees fit to go back to that lane and kick it next time he is in the centre…
What he says; “I bought the bloody thing didn’t I”…;)

Maybe we should buy just the covering of a ball return and put it in the viewing area and everyone can come back and kick the **** out of it to make them feel better…:D:D

The "Touring Ball Return"...:p

Maybe we should buy just the covering of a ball return and put it in the viewing area and everyone can come back and kick the **** out of it to make them feel better…:D:D

Milton may have some going cheap :D

I think Andrew’s idea has a lot of merit to it…
Only problem I see is a bowler buys a new one he then thinks he owns it…sees fit to go back to that lane and kick it next time he is in the centre…
What he says; “I bought the bloody thing didn’t I”…;)

Replace Ball return with "lefty" and you might have a winner there :D

What in blazes does the damage to bowling balls & golf balls got to do with each other.

:p:p:p:p

when i was bowling for act i know of at least 5 bowlers who were given a warning first,then 3months suspension and last 6months.this was also given for swearing.so if we are going to have tba rules then maybe we should be enforcing them.
just remember you are the one bowling the ball.

agreed.
its no one elses fault.
i know people that kick the ball returns and hit the chairs,. and swear their heads off,
and where does that get you.. no where.
if im annoyed coz i dont bowl an over average game.
i sit and dont talk to anyone till i have chilled a bit.. because bashing the crap out of the equipment isnt gonna get anyone anywhere.

The point was about "my equipment" and "reasonable wear"

I see so many bowlers whine because they get a scratch 3cm long, barely deep enough to break the surface. You throw a soft covered object at hard infrastructure, you get reasonable wear, suck it up.

Bec said:
golf and bowling. two totally different sports.
Can't agree there, they're actually remarkably similar.

In any case, the facility will generally repair/replace a competitors personal property if it is damaged beyond the reasonable expectation of regular use. A scuff or scratch in bowling is not unreasonable, especially if you throw it in the gutter.

I apologise for introducing complex abstract concepts in a sporting forum, I was at work and evidently had not changed my mode of thinking back into english.

Oh dear, I bowled a hopeless set of games tonight, in which 2 had no strikes al all. Ended up leaving a 4-7-9-10 too (picked it up though). Splits galore.

I tell you, the ball return looked great at points tonight. Ended up laughing off my hopeless scores and made everyone enjoy themselves too. Still won 2 games and series, cant complain too much...

As mentioned several times in this thread, the one at fault is the one throwing the ball. Take a breath between shots, fart a pebble and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom