game fees

bfcc

i was reading frawls post and saw were the game charges for tournaments are $4:40 per game is that correct ? could a centre managers or owner confirm what they charge for tournament games and is there any way of getting game charges down maybe if we good get it down to $2:00 a game entry fees could be reduce we could get more people to bowl tournaments which would mean more people in the centre spending money at the cafe.it would be win win for both the centre and the tournament.

just a thought hope to get some reply's from owners and managers.

I may stand corrected but AMF tournaments charge $4.00 per game for their Super 6 events and Grand Prix events in Australia. I think this is reasonable due to the fact that they loose money most of the time by putting tournaments on instead of running glow in the dark.

Mind you, in the states the centres pay to have the tournament hosted at their centre, on the PBA they pay $20000 for the right to host a tournament. Their only return revenue is the cafe and a percentage of pro-am money. Just a little different from over here......

hi all just wanted to knock this back up the top , hammo brought up the same subject under another post and no-one has come up with an answer .maybe this is one way to get entry fees down or more money in prize funds, come on managers and owners there are plenty who read this forum is there anyway of getting cheaper game fees for the tournaments?????????

While I know that lineage is necessary income for bowling centres, I've always been of the opinion that major tournaments are really showcases for the sport - they are a form of advertising to attract people into the centres, as social bowlers, league bowlers and spectators, which is where the profits would be made. NOT from tournaments.

Tournament bowlers very rarely just happen. You don't get someone just come along, pick up a ball and bam, become a tournament level bowler. They come through the ranks, usually starting to bowl socially, get interested, join a league then progress.

So tournaments, especially majors, are like advertising for the sport - a bill board that yells, 'Look at where tenpin bowling can take you.' After the Commonwealth Games, when Cara and the rest of the team performed so well, I believe that bowling in Australia got a much needed shot in the arm but we didn't keep it up. We didn't do what we had to to keep competitive bowling's profile at the forefront.

Everyone knows Cara's face, and so they should - she's a wonderful ambassador for bowling. But she's not the ONLY one, nor would she want to be. All sports have to have heros but we're chopping a good many of our potential ones off at the knees because they can't afford to compete.

When tournaments fail because of the rising costs, people are looking at us saying 'What sort of future is there in tenpin bowling?' and walking away in droves. The average person isn't even encouraged to start bowling in the first place.

Again I'm sticking my neck out by saying that hitting tournament bowlers with higher games costs etc is like killing the goose that laid the golden egg. The idea that 'we're getting less customers so we've got to raise the price' makes no sense to me, but then, I'm no business man.

I just think that, if we made tournament games games costs just enough to cover the absolutely essential overheads, we'd encourage more entries and also increase prize funds. Tournaments would get back some of the prestige that they used to have. We'd also get more spectators into the centre which would help increase cafe revenue, helping to balance out the lower game prices.

As I said, I'm only speaking from my point of view and proprietors may have a totally different slant. However, nothing will change my belief that tournaments are the best showcase for both the sport and industry and we've got to do what's necessary to raise their profile.

A major tournament only takes two or three days in a whole year and surely the benefits to be gained for bowling as a whole far outweigh any lower game price.

Ken

I agree with you 100% percent, I can see why the tournaments you ran were always successful and well supported. I just hope some hob nob in AMF reads this post and sticks his neck out as well.

George

GIDDY UP KEN,
Now maybe ppl will look at this post and try to help the bowling industry to get back to the numbers we need.The main thing to remember ,is that if the bowling centres decide to lower their game prices,then we as bowlers have to give them the support and hopefully the numbers will start to increase.
And the skins/brackets that George wants to run at Kedron may well be a great start.

CHOW

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Back
Top Bottom