Australian Masters : SUCCESS or FAILURE

Australian Masters - SUCCESS or FAILURE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So far it is 30-success and 2-failures. I think there is something in that for all of us...don't you???

Love your work Tonx!!!

Pick a subject, any subject. Then count all the people in your town, your city, your country, or the world, who know a lot about the subject, as opposed to those who know little or nothing.
Guess what? In just about every occasion, you'll find that an overwhelming number know little or nothing about it, as opposed to a few who know a lot.

We should take more notice of minorities, apparently.

Ever seen sheep going through a gate, and one jumps over an imaginery stick?

Baaaaaaa.

Go and watch some of the v8 super cars or Australian Touring Car rounds that were televised on TV in the early 80's and compare it to now...Then think wow its come along way, well things like this have to start somewhere and i am sure each year they look to improve something to make it bigger and better next year to bring the crowds back......

Yes and there's more to that than meets the eye of the casual observer.
V8 supercars have sucked up most of the once more diverse motor sport publicity, (and sponsorship) and (principally because of money ) dominates the sport, including CAMS.

Lack of diversity will, in due course effectively kill it, and there are some signs of that as of now.

Like bowling, there are a lot of smaller people involved in motor sport, ranging from car club events, through to all the other categories of circuit racing.
There is considerable disquiet in motor sport circles about V8 supercars 'power' to talk governments into street circuits, such as Homebush and the Gold Coast. Why, you ask?

There are established privately operated Motor Circuits (like independant Bowling Centres ) which the rest of the sport relies on. They need those spectators, they need that business. They need to make a profit to remain in business for the smaller people in motor sport. They go out of business - the grassroots people go out of business with them. Then, should V8 supercars lose their gloss, where is Motor Sport generally then?

This is but one issue - there are others, but until recently alternate views (critisisms, to give them a negative spin ) have been fairly muted. One thing there wasn't, was a lack of money. Could that have been why?

Like on this forum, anyone who dared to question the conventional wisdom were castigated by all the same terms. Apparently only sheep and lemmings are blessed with foresight.

Jim Cross. ex NSW Manager / CAMS

Jim, You have missed one very very important point in your rebuttle. The subject of the topic was not "did the Australian Masters save the sport of bowling" but "was it a success"

I am someone who will try to keep topics on subject as much as possible. My answer to the topic was from my viewpoint as a competitor of the tournament. From my perspective, Nationals was the most fantastic tournament I have ever competed in, regardless of how much money was involved. The money attracted me to the event, but the event was a success because of the tournament committee, the centre and its staff and the competition itself. How does that make me a "sheep" as you describe?

As an event I think we all agree it was a huge success and a leap forward.

As an opportunity to use that to do more for the sport I believe it was a failure.

lol @ "sheep and lemmings". I like it.

The Olympic Games don't cater to Joe Average either, but the Gold Medal that Simon Fairweather won in Sydney generated massive interest in archery.

Yeah and it's the fault of AMF and TBA that the Australian Masters and Tenpin bowling was not in the Olympics too! [Hey if others can post stupid statements why can't I!!]

How about all the naysayers actually write in to the papers and television stations NOW to prepare them for next years event. Maybe even front up with a couple of Mil to sponsor a circuit themselves, if that what you think will help!

AMF and TBA are moving in the RIGHT direction for our sport! If you aren't putting your hand up to help, shut the #$%$ up!

I for one am putting out there a BIG THANK YOU to the TBA and AMF for the efforts so far and hope this partnership flourishes for the future. Can't wait to see where our sport will end up if this effort continues.

YES it was a HUGE success for what was possible at this time, hopefully with the interest it has created locally AND OVERSEAS (other countries are watching these developments people), more possibilities will open up in the future to take advantage of (for both the event and the sport).

Fitzy!

Jase,

I read your post. You can stop the negative critics on TB by just banning them. This sport does not need bad publicity on this site. Get rid of them.

Talk about old sayings; IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

Michael,

Your post is 100% correct.

Christian,

Mate banning them gets you nowhere, (you get the old chestnut of "freedom of speech", "accused of being in their corner" and all the bull**** that comes with 1 banning), then people like Gary gets banned and comes back on as Casual Observer...Its not worth my FREE time...This isn't the only site the have a whinge, have you seen Face Book lately...TB isn't the only site they use for negativity against TBA or AMF...

We just have to accept that some people just live life like that...and others are half glass full kind of people...Did i see your hand up to become a moderator...lol

Jase,

I read your post. You can stop the negative critics on TB by just banning them. This sport does not need bad publicity on this site. Get rid of them.

Talk about old sayings; IF YOU HAVE NOTHING GOOD TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING AT ALL.

Michael,

Your post is 100% correct.

I Agree 100%, anyone who disagrees with me BAN THEM!!
Oh - Woops, that's not what you meant.....SORRY--- I didn't mean it, really I didn't.. I'm sure you're idea is a good idea - see... I just said something good, I'll be alright now, wont I ?

of course it was, with $100,000 in prizemoney up for grabs, why wouldn't it be.

Nationals - if the masters didn't have the high prizemoney up for grabs, you tell me if the nationals would have been a success? Maybe , maybe not.

Christian,

Mate banning them gets you nowhere, (you get the old chestnut of "freedom of speech", "accused of being in their corner" and all the bull**** that comes with 1 banning), then people like Gary gets banned and comes back on as Casual Observer...Its not worth my FREE time...This isn't the only site the have a whinge, have you seen Face Book lately...TB isn't the only site they use for negativity against TBA or AMF...

We just have to accept that some people just live life like that...and others are half glass full kind of people...Did i see your hand up to become a moderator...lol

Jase,

I have no problem with people having a different opinion as this is an internet forum. However some of these people are just trolls who get off in writing crap and being negative about everything.

You do a great job.

of course it was, with $100,000 in prizemoney up for grabs, why wouldn't it be.

Nationals - if the masters didn't have the high prizemoney up for grabs, you tell me if the nationals would have been a success? Maybe , maybe not.

That's what this sport needs more of. Someone with strong opinions, who's not afraid to voice them.
Was the Australian Masters a success or failure?
Yes!
Without the Masters prizemoney, would the Nationals have been a success?
Maybe, maybe not!

Try arguing with that!!

I think the poll was [ only ] asking about the masters as i said it was great to watch and some of the scores were huge if you were not able to be there you missed out

Hi Strop,

I would like to comment on your statement. Would the national have been a Success If the Prize Money was not there?

I spend 21 days at the nationals this year and bowl and observed across all three weeks. I would make the Following Comments

While I think that there is no doubt that the Higher Prize money saw more entry attempts for the masters than in previous years, if fact I can’t remember in my time at the nationals the Standing sheets hitting the floor, I think there was several other things that make a Successful nationals.

Now while not all the teams stayed on site I can Guarantee that for Queensland several additional squads where bowled simply cause you where able to go over have a good meal a rest and perhaps a shower and then walk back over to the bowl feeling like you were ready to bowl another squad without a 20 minute Bus Ride or longer. There were several guys in the Restricted that did that very thing and they were not chasing the master they just wanted to bowl...
The Venue assisted. It made you feel like bowling. I have bowled some nationals where the thought of filling in at short notice would have not even been on my radar but the bowling center staff and Center in general made you want to be involved.. I filled in several times with the restricted players and others.

Even though there were some issues around lane conditional for some bowlers, In general I think that the center was really positive and upbeat? There was a feeling of, to quote a recent conversation , "Unbridled Enthusiasm" which made you feel like staying and heaven for bide "Watch Some Bowling" the entire 21 days the general feeling that I got was that the nationals was a Positive Place to be. Did that come from the large prize fund, perhaps , I personally believe that it came from the feeling that in general TBA and AMF had made REAL and POSITIVE Efforts to make the National Competitors feel welcome. Now being an shy and inverted person I may have miss read the entire 21 days and that really every bowler in the country is money orientated and only attended because of the large prize fund at the end of the day..

I personally CHOOSE not to believe this, I choose to believe that some of the success if not most of it needs to be attributed to a combination of the Venue, AMF, TBA and the general positive vibe that this year’s Nationals had... Hats off to everyone.... Could it be improved and made better I am sure that is the Goal of TBA and AMF for next year. I for one will be back for another year.
Personally the Best Nationals I have ever been involved with....

A Far More Appropriate Thread title would be …..

“The Nationals - A Success , What do we need to Do to make it better Next Year “

Morty

Good post Morty, In general I believe your right. Mind you, you had a lot of involvement with you fellow members from your state I believe.

I too had a good time while I was there and can not complain about any of it.

People there I'm sure feel the same way for those that were there!!! BUT getting them there is the problem I feel, and always has been. Maybe!! only my thoughts of course.

For me, TBA made it so you had to bowl the TBA Seniors cup as a example for me, because you had to, to get the extra rating points and a bigger 1st place cash........ Would have I gone if this wasn't the case......maybe , maybe not!!

Cheers

Tony...

P.S. good to see you over there, you haven't aged a bit!! :)

I am with you on that matter Morty, I was lucky enough to be one of the few that actually lived a short 2 minute drive from the bowl and i was involved in the Restricted Challenge for a 3rd straight year since the new challenge for restricted bowlers was started back in 2008.

Saying this i have some background on the last 3 years for restricted bowlers and i must say, and this is not saying that the centres of Tuggeranong in 2008 or Mt. Gravatt in 2009 were bad in any way but at Rooty Hill the staff went to the next level to go out of there way to ensure your experience was not only enjoyable but also 1st class.

Things like personally delivering your food at lunch breaks for the teams just to name 1 and to constantly come around to players and managers to ensure even while bowling was going on that everything was ok and if they needed anything.

Now the reason i am commenting on this is to give people an idea of what made things great for those bowlers who are not quite up to the class of bowler that was trying to cash in on the 100,000 up for grabs and was there as they always do for the glory of bowling at the nationals and for there state which is unless i have forgotten something here one of the main reasons the nationals are held each year for all levels of bowlers who excel in there division of bowling, whether it be at Restricted, Open or Senior level.

I was also present at the running of the Walter Rachiug Trophy tournament to see what it was like to compete in from a spectators point of view as well obviously to watch the AMF Australian Masters.

And to finish off a great 3 weeks i decided to go to not only the presentation for the Restricted Challenge dinner but also went to the Walter Rachiug dinner as well and i was very impressed.

Overall if this is the start of something big i can see it can only get better and i impress on all bowlers to give this a go because the sport of bowling needs to unite.

Michael Mclaren
tickets for short lol

I think Morty has put the " Masters", and the " Nationals", into proper perspective, and if other participants generally had a similar experience ( and it seems from general comments that they did) then the Nationals were indeed a resounding success.
I haven't been to many Nationals, as Morty has:- 1962, Sydney.- 1963, Melbourne,-1996, Canberra,- and 1998, Gold Coast.
I enjoyed all of them, though don't remember hardly anything about the first two. The ATBC / TBA people were always great.
I'm pleased that this one was outstanding. May the next one use it as a benchmark, wherever it may be.

Well said Morty! I couldnt agree with you more!
Personally i think the event was a success, ive bowled for nearly 12 years now and The Nationals has been one of my favourite events so far. This was my first Adult Nationals and i will definately be bowling it next year. The people are great, TBA were fantastic, and as Morty said they gave off a very positive vibe! It was enjoyable to be there.

Try turn some of this negativity towards TBA into something positive. They are trying to move the sport forward in this country and all this negative talk on TB towards them isnt helping.

Try turn some of this negativity towards TBA into something positive. They are trying to move the sport forward in this country and all this negative talk on TB towards them isnt helping.

Let's see...with over 90% of the readers voting for POSITIVE. I'd have to say that the negative talk to which you allude is pretty insignificant.

The bowlers who competed in the Australian Masters has given it a resounding vote of support. I have no complaint about the tournament, the host centre, the sponsors, the scores, format or all the hard work that went into making the event a bowling success.

My only concern is that it was not a financial success in any way, shape or manner. AMF poured heaps of cash into this event, and in time we'll know whether or not it was a success from their perspective. If AMF is looking to ensure the future of bowling then they'll continue their generous financial support of the Australian Masters. iI they were looking at it as a money making opportunity in the short run, then it's highly unlikely that they'll be putting anywhere near $100,000 into next year's event.

Adrian,

I agree that if the Australian Masters is Part of the world tour then that would add to the Australian Nationals. I think what i Really important though is that it is Australian Bowling and we need to fix - improve - develop our sport from with in, And I think personally that is what we are seeing that is starting to happen. I can only add if you have not bowled a nationals for a ling time it is time to start re thinking it... As Michael Commented even the Dinners where some of the best I have attended.. Granted I did not realize that seniors left so early.. yes you guys heard me.. 10.35 everyone gone.. maybe it was me not sure.. :) Come on Whats the Go with that ..

It is time for our hands to go up to assist. It is time for positive Comment on ALL Aspects of our Sport.. Lets really give this a full on 100% go... Lets see were the new formed association with AMF and their push for membership in there centers can take our sport. Lets not second guess there motivates on why they invested 100K in the masters Or how that Arrangement was done.. But rather Lets Applaud the Effort of perhaps two of the major Players in our sport getting on with the job.

Morty

I am just going to take some more Positive Pills Right Now... :)

Back
Top Bottom