Australian Masters : SUCCESS or FAILURE

Australian Masters - SUCCESS or FAILURE

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wchester

Bowling Tragic
As a showcase or our sport, it was great, but so much more could've been accomplished.

With approximately 3000 additional games being bowled in the 2010 National Championships ( includes entries in ALL divisions, not just the Masters ) and virtually no overseas male bowlers competing, I'm going to call this one a financial failure.

If AMF decides to continue their financial support next year, then they deserve an AOM.

WAYNE why ........ and what do you get from posts like this ,we have been begging for such a set up as this for years. We have to start somewhere, the calliber of the bowlers that turned up was great to see the scores were great to watch i really don't understand you ,the mens final geeeeee i don't know what you want
well done again SAM ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC DISPLAY!!!!!!!

You actually make sense here Wayne but I doubt very much that any of the usual culprits on here will actually try to understand what you are saying. They will just bag you for daring to say something they don't agree with.

Failure: Much much more could have been achieved with the money instead of getting people to go to one tourney.

Having said that, I do believe the tourney itself went very well and we have deserving champions. I just don't know what benefit we now have from all the money poured into it.

The best way to judge a tournament, is to ask yourself: "if every tournament was like this, would the sport of bowling be much more successful"

The answer of course, is yes. If every national tournament was like the Aussie Masters was this year, bowling in Australia would be huge.

A better way to judge it would be to ask "was the money well spent for the result we got?".

The answer is no.

Yes it was great to see a tourney in Australia with good prize money and I would have been happy to win it if I had bowled. Did it benefit bowling in any great way - no.

The bowlers who support tourneys like this and can afford to go to it benefit. The average league bowler got nothing out of that wasted money, not a single thing. The average social bowler got nothing either. Those 2 are the bread and butter of the sport, they are what keeps it alive, not the top 1% who bowl in the ranked tourneys.

If you get 5000 people turning up to tourneys that is still only a low % of the bowling community.

Unfortunately many of those who are in that top 1% are also the ones who will defend it on here.

WAYNE why ........ and what do you get from posts like this ,we have been begging for such a set up as this for years. We have to start somewhere, the calliber of the bowlers that turned up was great to see the scores were great to watch i really don't understand you ,the mens final geeeeee i don't know what you want
well done again SAM ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC DISPLAY!!!!!!!

Robbo

100 % right mate
Some people will just always find a way
to whinge about things even if they are good things

Hey whats the problem It wasnt thier money

To me the whole event start to fininsh was the best
I have seen in many a long year

A better way to judge it would be to ask "was the money well spent for the result we got?".

The answer is no.

Yes it was great to see a tourney in Australia with good prize money and I would have been happy to win it if I had bowled. Did it benefit bowling in any great way - no.

The bowlers who support tourneys like this and can afford to go to it benefit. The average league bowler got nothing out of that wasted money, not a single thing. The average social bowler got nothing either. Those 2 are the bread and butter of the sport, they are what keeps it alive, not the top 1% who bowl in the ranked tourneys.

If you get 5000 people turning up to tourneys that is still only a low % of the bowling community.

Unfortunately many of those who are in that top 1% are also the ones who will defend it on here.

What do these people get out of any tourny, if they choose not to go...nothing.

Yes it was a great event Geoff and noone is denying that.

Some people just cant see through that to the underlying facts. It was also a great opportunity that went begging. A chance to plaster the sport all over the press and get new bowlers through the doors.

Did it happen - no.
Does the average bowler benefit from it - no.

The people prepared to speak up are usually the ones who go away to tourneys. The people prepared to speak up are usually the ones who are on here so we get a very one-sided opinion.

How about we get both sides of the argument for a change. Look at the good as well as the bad so we can actually do something and get the sport moving. Stop defending anything that is said and actually express an opinion instead of following like a sheep in case you upset someone.

In his own way Wayne has suggested they failed at advertising it and getting big name bowlers. Why not take it on board and try to improve?

Wayne also gave AMF credit for their support. In return he got bagged. That's just stupidity.

The answer is no.

I would rank it as a success for a fledgling event of this caliber in Australia. Could more have been done, for sure, I think a lot more promotion wise could have been done for the event, am not sure what plans they had in place but from early on it was known mens bowlers from around the world wouldnt be attending, so possible promotion down that path wasnt possible.

Wayne may have a valid point (just said again in a way to try and be controversial) in terms of financial success but I highly doubt that in reality AMF would have taken that big a hit on this event, I wouldnt be surprised if they made money and good on them if they did.

I would say if they got 3000 entries, that is a success in entries, cant recall a nationals attracting that much interest and entries.

Could the money have been used elsewhere, well for what? To support a tournament circuit that hardly anyone bothers to support or lump all that money into one big tournament and get the countries best and some of OS best bowlers to attend. It isnt AMFs role to create more numbers in the sport but events like this can certainly help if done right.

What does the average league bowler get out of any tournaments held anywhere unless they are locals and have a crack, what do social bowlers get out of tournaments? It doesnt matter if AMF sink this money into 10 different tournaments or one, either way it only affects regular tournament bowlers. League bowlers are the bread and butter of centres but not the sport unless they are looking to increase their skills and take the next step towards tournaments, social bowlers are there for recreation and dont see the game as a sport, so really the direction bowling should always be taking is to get those average league bowlers more interested in the tournament scene, more interested in increasing their skills and understanding of the game and also trying to change the average publics perception of the sport as a whole. A tournament like this can help do that with the right promotion, how many other sports on a local level like this have that sort of prizemoney attached to it for a national title? That sort of money might change peoples perspectives.

As for this tournament being affordable to enter, I thought that it was, entries were 35 each, i entered 7 events in total plus all events, then masters entry fee, a couple of nights accom worked cheap enough a night staying with a group, plus a bit of food and it worked out to about the same as attending a normal tournament. I drove back and forth a couple of times as it was fortunately in the same state.

And yes 5000 bowlers might only be a small part of the total bowling community, but the tournament scene is even less than that, so to attract so many entries from all grades, groups and states in one place over 3 weeks is a pretty big effort. Now hopefully AMF will continue their support and the event can be an even bigger success next year.

What do these people get out of any tourny, if they choose not to go...nothing.

Choose not to?

What about 1000km away and work commitments?
What about those who are just not interested in tourneys?
What about those who cant afford it?

Sure we need to get great tourneys going and this seems to have been one but we need to get people through the door and bowling socially or league to boost numbers. This did little of that.

Michael, If I said I was offering 5 random prizes of $100,000 for people who sat and watched my lawn grow I would get numbers. That doesn't make it a successful event.

People, do get with it. It was a success, because there was $100,000 thrown at it.

But, what about the only publicity being in couple of local..........??
Will you get with it.!!! $100,000. Will you listen? $100,000 !!!

But....
You're beginning to annoy me. Don't you know how much $100,000 is ?

Yes, but what about next year??
Whoever's got $100,000 - that's what for next year!!!! Anywhere they like.

What if someone else had $150,000???
Well, it would be theirs, wouldn't it?? It would obviously be half as good again, would,nt it?? Don't you know ANYTHING??

I know you are sounding like someone in a profession. Maybe the SECOND OLDEST one?

Does the "Average bowler" need to benefit from sponsorship of a major tournament?

No, you are right, I should be complaining, because im an average golfer, but I want some of tiger woods prize money from his tournament winnings. Even though I play golf once a month and don't practise, and he plays golf for a living and trains for it.

It is the Australian National Masters, yet it was a failure because it didn't accommodate to Joe Bowler.

Just an honest question here, are you on drugs?

So far it is 30-success and 2-failures. I think there is something in that for all of us...don't you???

Love your work Tonx!!!

There is an old saying - how do you eat an elephant .... one bite at a time. It appears the Nationals this year was a great success and a credit to those involved. Everyone knows you can always do better so rather than criticise why not simply say it was a success and give credit where it is due. Support i swhat bowling needs not critics for there will always be those and they stop progress.

To some people i don't think it matters what AMF or TBA do, it will never be enough...

They could sponsor 1 event to the tune of 100,000 and get bagged...

They could decided to support a National circuit to the tune of 250,000 and it still wont be good enough...

They could have TV cameras, magazines, paper coverage who knows even entrants from over seas and i am sure there will still be people out there that say you know what, its crap, they should have done this or should have done that...

For once why cant we look at it and say, well they gave it a go, who are we to judge or to know what there plans are for the future...This could be some sort of 3 year plan to get the Australian Masters or Australian Bowling its self back on the map...Whats to say this wasn't a test to see if they could generate interest first, maybe next year they will take the bigger steps required...

Its about time people started to support the good things that happen to your sport regardless of the past, ever thought that once again the negative responses on here could be part of what helps them decided weather to support this event again or any event in the future...

Go and watch some of the v8 super cars or Australian Touring Car rounds that were televised on TV in the early 80's and compare it to now...Then think wow its come along way, well things like this have to start somewhere and i am sure each year they look to improve something to make it bigger and better next year to bring the crowds back...

For once just give them a go an if they sponsor it again, then lets judge them on there achievements to help promote it and make it a bigger event next year and many years after that...

I know even though i don't bowl anymore, the fact that there was so much money put into this event and so much hype around it i nearly decided to try and have a go and i know there were a few others in the same boat...

If i am right i think i remember seeing Carl Bottomley say it was his FIRST Australian Masters...I couldn't believe that when i seen it, one of Australia's greats bowling in his first Australian Masters (after so many years at the top level)...I bet that isn't the only story like that after this year i am sure...Lets not forget that this could also be bolstering numbers in the State Masters entries in each state trying to win a FREE entry to the main event...

Good on them for giving it a go i say, and hopefully they are on board again NEXT Year and many years after that...

It is the Australian National Masters, yet it was a failure because it didn't accommodate to Joe Bowler.

The Olympic Games don't cater to Joe Average either, but the Gold Medal that Simon Fairweather won in Sydney generated massive interest in archery.

Yes it was a great event Geoff and noone is denying that.

Some people just cant see through that to the underlying facts. It was also a great opportunity that went begging. A chance to plaster the sport all over the press and get new bowlers through the doors.

Did it happen - no.
Does the average bowler benefit from it - no.

The people prepared to speak up are usually the ones who go away to tourneys. The people prepared to speak up are usually the ones who are on here so we get a very one-sided opinion.

How about we get both sides of the argument for a change. Look at the good as well as the bad so we can actually do something and get the sport moving. Stop defending anything that is said and actually express an opinion instead of following like a sheep in case you upset someone.

In his own way Wayne has suggested they failed at advertising it and getting big name bowlers. Why not take it on board and try to improve?

Wayne also gave AMF credit for their support. In return he got bagged. That's just stupidity.

Are you aware of the any advertising that was done for the Masters?

I am aware of at least 3 radio interviews that were done and 2 newspaper articles.

Any good from the Nationals won't be seen immediately.

I am not sure how people can comment when they didn't attend the event.

The reason there was no top ranked international men was because of another event. However there was a couple of bolwers who came over from Hong Kong.

Back
Top Bottom