2010 Australian National Tenpin Bowling Carnival

zoedog

I have a dream………………………………………………….

2010 Australian National Tenpin Bowling Carnival

Today sees the last day of events in the 2010 Australian National Tenpin Bowling Carnival. At the end of play today, points will be tallied to ascertain the ‘super’ State, ultimate winner of the Carnival.

The Carnival as been the most successful to date, with an impressive 50% increase in participation over the previous year, as well as being attended by record supporters and spectators there to cheer on the representatives from each State.

The success of the Carnival can be directly attributed to the new format, which came about after a 3 day national symposium held in 2008 titled “The Reformation of Tenpin Bowling in Australia”.

Participants were asked to deposit prior to entering (in the bins provided outside) any egos, closed minds, personal agendas or sour grapes. The Symposium Moderator was very clear in stating that the purpose was not to dwell on what has happened in the past (instead learning from it) but to focus firmly on the way forward.

The symposium was attended by over 300 people, which included individual bowlers, national and local officiating bodies including the Australian Sports Commission, TBA, Seniors reps, Restricted Challenge Reps, Disabilities Reps, AMF and independent bowl proprietors.

The new format pits state against state in a multi-tiered competition. Each state has fielded male and female teams in the following events: Disability Cup, Juniors Cup, Youth Cup, Restricted Adults Cup, Classic Cup, Seniors Cup, and the pinnacle, the Open Cup.

The final social event on the program is a 3 game event titled “All Stars Challenge”. The top 5 All Stars from each Cup are invited to play each other as a showcase of bowling talent. Sure to be a real crowd pleaser.

The success of this Carnival has highlighted that when people with a common goal, in this case promoting and growing the sport of Tenpin Bowling, set their collective minds and passions to the task, then anything is possible.

We had many individual and team winners over the duration of the Carnival, but the real winner was the sport of Tenpin Bowling.

Fantasy? - Should not be A challenge – YES

To quote an old political slogan “IT’S TIME!”

For those of us who are passionate about our sport, it’s time to do whatever it takes to make it right!

Regards
Angy Campbell

Nice post, totally agree.

I really like the idea of having one combined Nationals where the overall champion state is a combination of junior, youth, adult and senior teams points.

The idea of separate nationals has to go in the bin I think.

All divisions should stand together in one National event, not "nationals for juniors" and "nationals for seniors" etc.

O.M.G. I was only talking to Ron Forbes about something similar to this the other day, though my thoughts went further in that a National year end tournament encompassed all grades and to qualify for a state team each state used a state based ratings system per grade (Open to D) and local / Regional Championships and Masters were the basis to gain ratings points. State Championships and Masters were worth Double points. I did not include Juniors / SEniors or Disabilities but hey i like the idea of it being all inclusive, one battleground Adult / Seniors/ Juniors / Disability all there with one common goal - to be the best state, sounds even better to me now.

One of the reasons i looked at it this way was sponsorship. its difficult for a national body to know if XYZ private Centre has a sponsorship deal with whoever, whereas local / regional based events can get local and regional sponsors knowing full well what other sponsorship agreements are in place and its much easier to get $200 from Joe Smith Mechanical repairs and hang a sign for a few months in the local centre than it is to get Coke to sponsor nationally when some independent centres might well have Pepsi Contracts and can't hang Coke signs.

This also might mean City bowlers have to trek to the bush a few times but what better way to experience the varying lane conditions that our diversity of centres presents.

There would be no roll offs just top point getters make the teams and teams be all grades men and women. In effect D graders play D graders, C’s play C’s, B’s play B’s etc etc and its all scratch.

Each grade has a champion team and there be an overall national trophy for the best performed state.

Its just a thought.

Cheers,
Shoey

Probally need to get a new Board and CEO to obtain this level of thinking becauce the present board have successfully managed to splinter and considerably decrease the members attendace at Nationals.

Hmmm I'd love to see those spoilt (more than 12 lanes that aren't wood) people of the Big City come to the small bush outfits and bowl with us.
I can see it now - the Vic Far Far Far East Division has bowler make State team. :D

Great idea - Fantastic possibilities too

Love the idea of all Nationals held at the same time and venue. I would think significant savings could be obtained by each State team working together to get group discounts on accommodation/flights/car or bus hire. If you are really keen then you could stay for a month and watch a whole variety of bowlers. Would probably need 2 tournament teams and 2 managers as it would be hard to expect just 1 set of officials to give up a whole month at the bowl working but what a great concept.

Another point how many of us would give up a months league bowling if the Nationals took over our centre for a whole month. Great chance for the Centre to promote the sport as a whole and perhaps encourage local bowlers to bowl in the Nationals for the first time rather than in their normal League.

The idea of all States point score in each event being totalled together to decide a Champion State would hopefully encourage support from each State for all their other teams.

Great Idea - I would vote for it.

Nice idea, and it would be great. But the logistics a nightmare.
The centre would have to be built, and the nationals held in the same centre all the time. Because to have Rachuig, Presidents Shield, Seniors and Youth requires a centre to be big and I don't mean 32 lanes it would need to be massive.
But to over come this lets have the juniors and youth the first week Seniors the second, Rachuig the third etc. the cost to stay for a month for a family would be enormous. Then there is the timing - Youth is done at the being of the year so that it doesn't affect those going to Uni. Juniors over the school holidays for 2 weeks, adults and seniors anytime (in reality). So really the whole nationals would need to be run in January, that is the only time that it fits in with Youth and Juniors. But because of Christmas and going away in the summer, would this work?
If we include the Daryl Holt tournament in there as well, the costs are staggering.

Ideas are good, reality bites

logistically a nightmare hey!!!!!

why not use multiple centres, for example in Sydney use Cambelltown, Macarthur and Liverpool or Liverpool, Bankstown and Enfield, i know the later 2 have a reduced life, but who is to say a group of nearby centres in any of the capital cities can't jointly host such a format. you could even round robin play the events, one centre one day another centre the next and the last centre on the 3rd day. a bit like the Pebble Beach Golf Pro am which is played on 3 different course and all of the players play each course.

this way multiple events can be run on the same day allowing more people to play in the various divisions at the same time.

Shoey

Shoey,
Finally somebody with some constructive ideas on this whole matter rather than rambling on about how bad it is.

One point that every body seems to have in common is "Attracting new people to the sport of Tenpin Bowling". I have been out of the sport for 5-6 years after doing it for some 25 years and i have to say after following the discussion on "What did you think of 2007 Nations" and "Sack the current TBA Board", as a potentional new comer to the sport.........frankly would not be interested.

Over the years we have all had problems with the Board at that time no matter who was Chairman or CEO.

So maybe it is time and Quote (Brenton Davey) " if you don't like the people running it, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, don't just sit behind a computer all safe and commitment free and bellyache or get all smug and say "I told you so!" instead of focusing on all the negitives how about take the positives work on them to make them better and over time all the negatives (well most of them) will be ironed out. After all "You can not please everybody all of the time.

Eric R

thanks Eric, i know there is a lot of good people with good ideas out there and hopefully enough will be posted here or anywhere else that any or all board members will want to run with an idea sooner or later. i'm not for forming a sub committee or any other type of committee to set up and organise things, this is why we as a sport are so divided anyone who wants to run with an idea or doesn't exactly like what the board is doing or has done goes and sets up another shop elsewhere and all of a sudden we have yet another faction operating within the bowling community and quite frankly its making tenpin in this country implode. no one else is doing it to us just ourselves.

if we don't like a decision of any of the state premiers do we succeed our house from the state and make up a brand new state, if John Howard does something that we don't agree with do we succeed and make up a new country. no we live with it and get on with things. i think this is what the bowling community need to start doing, for too many years now we've been taking our bat and ball and going to the next street to start a new game when the decision doesn't go our way and its hurting us badly.

we don't need more tribalism we need unity and that unity must come from within and must start from the CEO and board and until they show that they are willing to take steps to unify Tenpin Bowling in Australia then unfortunately we will continue down the road we are on, and the only way for them to do this is for all and sundry to get behind them and support their efforts not rip the s##t out of them because things are not right or what we all expect or want them to be.

it has been said many times on this website these board members are volunteers and have businesses or work for a living and they give up there free time for the love of this sport the last thing they need is so much negativity and rubbish slung at them. they can be pproached and do repsond, a recent enquiry of mine was dealt with between board member and CEO in 24 hours. i just emailed and asked.

i'm aware that i have also posted before if they don't want to do the job that they have volunteered for then they should get out of the position they hold and i still stand behind this comment, i'm sure Coke will not retain a board member if they continually do nothing and those guys are paid. the same principles apply to the TBA board. if you wish to do nothing then move aside and allow someone else in that wants to have a go.

i have posted an idea on nationals here which whilst i do not ever think anything will come of it as it has a huge reliance on a lot of people at state / regional / local levels but it is a start and shows people that there are those of us in the bowling community with enough positive passion about this sport to make it a sucessful sport in this country.

cheers,
Shoey

The East Coast Challenge Cup (ECCC) runs to a similar format with an Association Cup being awarded on the basis of the points won from the total points won by all Divisions: Mens (Open & Graded); Womens (Open & Graded); Under 21 Boys (Open & Graded); Under 21 Girls (Open & Graded); Seniors (Mens Graded & Womens Graded). Each of the outlined divisions (seperated by the ';') have there own individual cups to win.
Although we just have sides from Victoria, Queensland and NSW it is still a logistical challenge to still have enough time to provide enough squads available for championships entries and to fit in the masters around the ECCC. It still is not perfect with the Seniors masters run early on the Friday morning with them having to compete in the 5 person teams component of the ECCC that afternoon at 5pm (This bowling load is beyond some of the Seniors).
If you were to use the ECCC events current setup as a basis then the addition of the 3 other states and two territories plus New Zealand (if still competing) would create a logistical nightmare.
One thing that would have to be decided is whether there is a time in the year where all could compete within a month to six week long span without this time excluding bowlers because of factors such as: (Examinations: School, Uni, Apprenticeship etc); (Holidays: Public Religious, Public Other); Work Commitments etc.
Surely some sensible time frame could be worked out to ensure that the bringing together of the Adult, Junior and ATBSO National Championships could be made a reality. As I am of the opinion that the Walter Daveer Tournament was wrongfully removed from the Nationals program then I believe that this event should also be reinstated (Darrell Holt) and if a Classic Division is to be introduced then that included as well and accommodated for in the full bowling Carnival.
Thus you would have: President Shield Juniors (Under 18); Youth(Over 18 - Under 23); Walter Daveer (like Darrell Holt this year); Darrell Holt (Classic Division); Rachuig; ATBSO.
The order the events were held would be determined by TBA according to the best time frame according to School, Uni and Holiday schedules accross all states and territories.
Championship & Masters events would have to be scheduled appropriately for when those bowlers are required to be present for their representative event.
Just some thoughts!

i agree it will take some working out, but as i've said before don't restrict play to one centre use 2 or 3 all within the same area. i mean don't use Keon Park if your using Altona and Werribee. keep them all closeby. this way you can handle logistics with a greater number of lanes being used.

i don't think school and uni hldiays are such a huge issue. Uni hols are twice that of school and at the same approximate time and school hols between states are disjointed anyway. i have to take my kids out of school a week early in NSW next april to attend Junior Nats in Brisbane for the 2 week period. kids don't mind as its a 3 week holiday for them. my point being school hols are disjointed between states anyway so aren't really a consideration.

i think if mum and dad and kids all bowl they will family holiday to a joint nationals destination anyway and even take an extra week off school if required (my kids will all be getting the work they will be missing out on before we leave). and as someone else said in a post package holidays with bowling included, not a bad way to do it.

Shoey

Back
Top Bottom