ACT & Southern NSW Presidents Shield Roll-Offs

Ok before I start to rant and rave...I am congratulating everyone who made the team...especially those of you who are first timers, it will be a pleasure to bowl with you guys!
Now, Im here to back Mikel up (hahaha told u I would)...and here to voice my opinion...
If Lysa was bowling with an injury, shouldn't that have been taken in to account as well? If she has an injury and it affects her bowling then what's the injury going to be like when it comes time for sheild? Will the injury come back and have the same impact on her bowling then? It is ridiculous that other people have to be disadvataged like this
I must say that last year (well earlier this year) when we were rolling off for this years team, I had an injury and had 2 pull out. The injury didnt reccur at all after that, even tho it has been diagnosed as 'Golfers Elbow' (an RSI, it will ALWAYS be with me), and since my injury, my bowling has not really changed (apart from the fact I dont lift the ball as much), sure Ive had slumps, but Ive been able to bowl virtually the same since Feb and its not bothered me.

For Captain and Vice captian, wasent everybody surprised to hear that Ian Mungovan is our Captain and Michael Cunningham our Vice. I was one of the few boys very "upset" about this decision but for it to be made the comitee must have a good reason for it, i am not sure what the reason is but the decision has been made so good luck to both boys
On this note, I think that every soul in the room was in some way shocked by the outcome of Captaincy. I know that personally I was disappointed and kinda upset that Cow was not put as Captain...or Vice at the least, and also shocked when I discovered Mikel was not put as VC, becuase its what I was expecting.
But what has been done has been done, as people have said the committee had their reasons for what happened, I just hope that as a team, we can work together and make a great year for ACT&Southern NSW

Jen.

What what what? Did I read right? Cow NOT caption? If he isn’t that is a ****in joke, and someone should be asking questions about it. Anyway well done to who made the team! Cyas all at shield!!

Ash

A lot of injuries are likely to reccur.....eg; mine. :shock:
But just becasue of the possibility of the injury reccuring doesnt mean that those of us who are/have been injured are goin to completly stop doing something we are passionate about.
As for the committee and their so called "petty decision"...I believe they made the descisions they did because they thought it was right...

So Sarrah shouldn't have gotten in because she bowled well and is at this stage is 100% capable of competing in the sheild competition with no injury? She hasn't made the team in previous years no, but why should she have been disadvantaged for that?

Ok, at this stage she is un-injured and is able to bowl Shield without an injury, but what hapens if she does get injured?
Anyway, who is to say she will not be bowling shield? Sarrah is the first reserve, which means she will be the first person called upon if one of the 7 bowlers is injured, heaven forbid.
I must also say that, there is nothing wrong with being a part of the training squad, because the team still involves you in all their activities and you still have a great time. I am speaking from experince, and also actions I took this year toward our training squad, because from what I know they all had a marvellous time, even though they didnt actually bowl shield.

but thats not the point.. really she should b in the team and lysa should b reserve because i think thats its only fair that the top 7 get in, and im sure that alot of other bowlers think so to

It's not the injury thing, or that Lysa isn't a good bowler. I know she is, and i know Sarrah is too. Again same with the boys, I just don't understand the commitee's decisions. In fact, not just this year, but previous years too.

Nothing against the two guys made captain and vice, but your kidding me arent you?? Of the 3 years I've bowled shield, and watched Stephen bowl and his confidence, why would you not give it too him? I could also see Macca or Mikel as V/Cs because they have experience.

Its a joke really, but I guess it cant be helped. Dont need to be captain to win shield, so I guess its back to bowling and trying to win the damn shield again

Adrian

Although Victoria doesnt have this selection process so how it actually works I'm not sure, but injuries happen eg. Debra Bosma broke her foot therefore couldnt bowl.

Just a question to act_bowler, if this happened to you, the injury, that i believe Lysa will overcome, would you still like to be selected to represent your state? Lysa has proved her ability to perform with her 299 bowled at shield this year and with her selection for the National Development camp 2004.

As for Mikel's injury, he gets a back injury every now and again but he is stil able to obtain a 200+ average at the centre shield will be held at next year... I think suggesting that because of this injury he should be pulled from the team is quite ridiculous as he is clearly an asset to the team.

Alicia

The Captain and vice they chose, from what i've heard there are quite a few people that aren't happy with it, from experience if some team members aren't happy with something then it rubs off on other team members, people aren't happy, then fights occur, and stuff like that. It's a big down on the team.
Hasn't Stephen been captain before?? or just vice?

I don't even know what her injury was. But if i had injured myself and was still bowling, somebody else bowled better than me, then i would like to be selected, but i wouldn't expect it, because somebody has performed better than me.
I wasn't suggesting he be pulled from the team at all. He deserved to get in and showed everybody why he deserved it by bowling well during roll offs.
Why bother having roll offs for ACT/Southern? they pick and chose who they want anyway.

act_bowler said:
Hasn't Stephen been captain before?? or just vice?

First made 2002 President Shield Team. Was Vice-Captain (to the one and only SLATS!) in 2003 and topped All-Stars. This was also the year when the Boys team, for the first time EVER, won the Boys Shield. Was Captain in 2004 and came 3rd in All-Stars.

Later Da Cowman!

ACT & SOUTHERN SHEILD

hello everyone
nice bowling at belco and tuggers but not my best
good to see a good turn out for canberra bowlers :p
does anyone know how to get a picture on the sendy thingy cos i want one

Personally the first 5 passed the post select 2 is a gr8 rule if used properly!!! SA introduced it after a bowler who had previously made the shield team had a thumb problem in the last day of the trials and therefore slipped drastically down the pecking order and didnt make the team!! As Alicia said how would ya feel if you were rolling off and then somehow contracted an injury which stopped you from bowling at your full potential and ya fell out of the top 7???? Lysa is a great bowler and she deserves to make the team, and the same account so does Sarrah as she finished in the top 7, but the question the committee obviously had 2 ask was if Lysa didnt have this injury would Sarrah have not made the top 7??? Things like attitude would have also come into the committees decision!! I have been told this so dont take it for gospel, but (someone please correct me if i am wrong) Robbie Townsend not sure which state did not bowl one single ball in the shield trials because of an injury and was selected because of previous achievements he was also selected as their captain and when it come round for shield there was no sign of his injury and i think he may have made all-stars or come very close!!!! I also dont believe it is who you know that gets you selected for these things!!! Well I atleast talk for my own state and if this happens then people should be asking for reasons on why things are happening and appealing if their are loop holes 2 do so and things dont add up!!! But experience tells me that getting down and bowling and proving that the decision was the wrong one (if it infact is) is the right thing 2 do!!! But newayz congrats 2 all the guys and girls who made the team and hopefully i'll be seeing ya in July!!!

Dion :D

don't worry i found it
nice to see kyle in the team after his hand
hope to see you bowling soon kyle

don't worry i found it
nice to see kyle in the team after his hand
hope to see you bowling soon kyle

well there seems to be two issues here
i dont have any say in the selection of lysa over sarah because i dont know sarah and ive never seen her bowl.
but i will comment on the captains choices.

this would have to be one of the worst decisions ever made in the sport of bowling. no offence to the two that were selected as vice and cap but not picking cow and mikel is ridiculous. cow has shield experiece. he has captain experience. he has experiece in bowling for his coutry,countless tournament placings and he has the respect of every juniour bowler in the country. not too pick him is absolute stupidity.
as for mikel as vice. he has had alot more tournament placings and more experiences
this is just my opinion but i think i share the same opinion as alot of others.
cheers Bobby O'Reilly

As far as the first 5 past the post rule, next 2 selected, it's been the rule for a number of years & has worked reasonably well in the past. There has always been a large influence of bias over team selections down here, and I doubt that will change very soon. Not that I have anything against Sarah, but I think this is a good decision provided Lysa's injury is not recurring.

As far as the committee's choice for captaincy goes, I think that if the people nominated have any doubt in their minds about their selection, that perhaps they should reject their roles now, & THE TEAM SHOULD PICK THEIR OWN CAPTAINS.

The control held & decisions made by the committee are a joke. I don't know about everyone else, but when I'm forking a large amount of money to someone else to take care of something on my behalf, then I want to be satisfied with the results. REMEMBER, PRESIDENTS SHIELD IS ABOUT THE BOWLERS. And if the committee doesnt start consulting more with the bowlers about decisions affecting them, then more & more Junior bowlers will have Shield experiences they're not happy with. I know I wouldn't bowl Shield again if I hadn't have aged out.

With the first 5 past the post rule, next 2 selected act and southern have used this rule many years in the past, the way this rule is used has changed alot over the years and no matter what the commitee rules there is always someone who is unhappy, i guess in act and southern the bowlers should strive to make top 5 rather then top 7.
As for captains in the past act and southern bowlers did vote for captains and with this not working out 100% of the time the decision is now up to the commitee and has been decided for reasons unknown to everybody, all that can be done is for the bowlers to wait and see how ian and michael do, im sure both will put in there best effort.
Congratulations to everybody who made the team look forward to seeing you at sheild.
p.s the year robbie automatically got his spot he had an injury and needed a reconstruction i do believe and it was the only time he could arrange to have it done so it didnt interfere with his bowling.
dee

Hey act_bowler, whats your beef? I totally agree with Dion, what if Lysa didnt have that injury, i for one know that she would have made the seven indefinitely. You also have to remember that shield is a WHOLE NEW LEVEL of bowling, and no matter who you are or what you bowled, if i were a selector and someone with Lysa's experience was injured and did not make the seven, i would select her or anyone else in her situation. The fact is you want your strongest and most experienced team. What you also have to remember is that there is still 8 months until shield, a long time for Lysa to recover from her injury.

As for the captains, well when i saw the post here in the States i was shocked, all i can say to Cow is go out there and bowl for your pride, cos you have a tonne of that and that is one thing no-one can take away from you.

Well thats my 2 cents

BT

Back
Top Bottom