Fisher, Samantha
Jones, Jennifer
Morris, Carranna
Seddon, Jessica
Willis, Roseanne
Harrison, Lysa

Congratulations to all

Colin

Congratulations to all that made the team, it was an interesting four days of bowling with some extremely high scoring aswell as a couple of tougher centers.

As most people know by now the selection of the boys captain and vice captain became a rather controversial topic after the final game. I have nothing against neither Ian Mungovan or Mick Cunningham, both deserve to be in the team but it looks an obvious decision that the boys captain and vice captain should have come from the top 3. All 200 averages for the 24 games and all with previous accomplishments in the sport. Especially Stephen Cowland, I'm not even going to begin to start checking them off.

Regardless, the decision has been made and I among others think it was an absolute joke. I'll still be proud to bowl for ACT & Southern NSW when shield '05 comes around.

Congratulations to all once again and lets kick some arse next year.

P.S If anyone would like to talk about it more just PM me or give me a shout on MSN.

Catchya Later[/u]

ACT & SOUTHERN ROLL OFFS

Congratulations again to all bowlers. Fanstastic work from all over each of the four centres. Very unusual selection process this year with both the team selections and captain and vice captain positions. Anybody care to comment? :Fade-col: :?

This is a joke. I think the committee needs to be a lot more accountable for it's decisions, & that's partially based on my experiences from last year too.

Nothing against the guys that got picked though, good luck to you both.

I won't post anymore at the moment, or I'll just get myself in trouble.

well done to all that made the squad

Go Cow and Craigie! u 2 are absolute tanks wen u bowl :p

good to c macca in again

defending his masters title again

well im off

good luk to all who made the team and myself and the rest of the WA shield team will c u all in july next year :D

what happened to Sarrah Ballard, didnt she make the team??? because of the final list u just showed she came in 7th but down under the boys and girls team you have put Lysa Harrison in instead??? why is that or is that just a typing mistake.....

emma

the ACT/SNSW trials work differently to the WA ones. In the ACT and most other states it is usually the top 5 people in the boys and girls and then 2 people out of the remaining ones will be SELECTED into the team.

guess we are just difficult in our trials :p :p

it depends on who you know and who you are freinds with, if your close up with the committee youll get in no matter where you place.

thats pretty wrong tho, because wat if u are a new one u got no chance really

not taking away from the bowlers that got in, they did deserve to be there the top bowlers at least but the selection process just leaves a lot to be desired, i dont know about other states but there is always a big hurrah after the act selections.

I really don't understand the way the selection process works. 6th and 7th positions should be selected unless there are extreme circumstances, such as injury etc. There were no injurys from any of the girls that rolled off, so why wasn't Sarrah chosen? One of the boys chosen had injured himself and was selected. He Bowled well on the first weekend, so there is nothing wrong with that. The way first and second reserves were decided has me wondering though. As well as the decision for captain and vice captain for the boys???? :?
They don't look at the way you bowl, it's the good bowlers who haven't been selected that have gone away to nationals and performed better than the most of the team members itself, just as long as you know the commitee you're right, it seems. It unfair to the bowlers who bowl really well, maybe they fell down on one of the first days, but they get themselves back up there on the last weekend, where it matters the most. that's where the nationals are being held, so shouldn't that make a difference? Because that is the centre it is going to matter most for shield, where the bowler needs to be their strongest, isn't it?
What is the ACT/Southern team coming to?

Sarrah Ballard was unfortunatly not choosen due to the fact that lysa was bowling with an injury on the last day at tuggeranong and with a fair amount of previous experence was selected into the team. This is unfair in a way but the comitee is trying to have the best team for us at shield next year, i feel sorry for sarrah as a good friend of mine and i hope she makes the team next year in her last year.

For the boys, i am so pleased shorty (Kyle Webber) was selected as he could not bowl the 2nd weekend with a hand injury, On average kyle was clearly in 6th position and missed out on the highest scoring center (AMF Belconnen) and his home centre (Canberra International Bowl Tuggeranong) was selected into the team.

For Captain and Vice captian, wasent everybody surprised to hear that Ian Mungovan is our Captain and Michael Cunningham our Vice. I was one of the few boys very "upset" about this decision but for it to be made the comitee must have a good reason for it, i am not sure what the reason is but the decision has been made so good luck to both boys.

For the Girls Captains, Captain Sam Fisher and Vice Captain Lysa Harrison.

Also i would like to congratulate all that made the team this year and its a bit of improvement from 2 years ago for ACT bowlers in the team from 0 to 8 in the team.

-Michael- said:
Sarrah Ballard was unfortunatly not choosen due to the fact that lysa was bowling with an injury on the last day at tuggeranong and with a fair amount of previous experence was selected into the team.

sarrah ballard also has previous experience in the team doesnt she?, correct me if im wrong

She made Training Squad last year coming 9th at roll offs, Lysa has bowled in the training squad in 2002 and bowled president shield in 2003 and 2004.

If Lysa was bowling with an injury, shouldn't that have been taken in to account as well? If she has an injury and it affects her bowling then what's the injury going to be like when it comes time for sheild? Will the injury come back and have the same impact on her bowling then? It is ridiculous that other people have to be disadvataged like this. I'm sure Lysa is a very good bowler, if she's been in the team for the last 2 years, and training squad before that.
But when you bowl a tournament and you place 6th, the tournament officials don't turn around and say oh the person who placed 10th broke his finger 5months ago, and i think it was still hurting him, lets move him up to 6th place instead. It doesn't happen in tournaments, why does it happen in Shield?

the injury thing seems to happen a lot in the act region in the last few years i can think of a few bowlers who were injured and then have aplied to make the team and got in, one bowler 2 years in a row only bowled in their home centre then had an injury and still made the team. steps need to be taken to rectify situations like this.

I cant say about lysa's injury as I don’t know what caused it or how severe it was, but for example.

I am a 200 plus average bowler at the centre where president shield will be, I had the highest average which was over 215 for the 6 games at roll offs at the centre where a 3:1 pattern was laid, but every once in a while I have back problems and they may effect my bowling should I be kicked of the team for this reason.

Yes I know its different circumstances but the same principals apply.

I am not defending the committee as I am not happy with some of their decisions but like the choice of captains the decision has been made with good reasoning (hopefully) and as I said before has been made to have the best team at shield we can possibly have.

And just to add, it is good to see people saying their oppinions but it would be nice to see who is saying them as under my post you will see my name.

You shouldn't be kicked off the team for that no, you made the team, you bowled well during the roll offs.
But if your injury was to affect you during the sheild competition and you couldn't bowl for the 3 days, then yes, then you should be taken off, or if it recurred between now and the nationals then you should be taken off them team.
Like you, i don't know what the injury was, but i think it's only fair, if it was say a back injury, knee, hand etc. an injury that is likely to recur, then it is fair that they not be selected, because bowling is a fairly physically demanding sport.
Do you think they thought about that when it came time to select the final 2 people? I don't know. It all is very strange.

as i said before im not taking anything away from the bowlers who made the team or any of the bowlers for that matter, but the commitee is where the problems lies, the game is being taken over by petty decisions made by the commitee and this is the reason that many people once out of juniors dont continue to bowl at state level. because they are over all the crap they have to put up with.

Back
Top Bottom