Would you be willing?

da_cowman

Shocker
Staff member
Just read this very interesting forum topic from BallReviews.com.
http://www.ballreviews.com/Forum/Replies.asp?TopicID=152182&ForumID=86&CategoryID=5
For a scale much closer to home. How would you feel if TBA Registration Fees went up $5 with that extra fiver going towards creating a bigger prizefund for the Super 6, or Nationals. Would like to hear from people who constantly bowl National tournies and those who don't.
I'm not sure on how many registered bowlers there are in Australia, but I imagine we would definatly be able to attract more overseas bowlers and possibly sponsors with prizefunds over the 5-10 G mark.
Or maybe pool it all together to get a TV Spot.
Later Da Cowman!

I think the same old reasons would pop up. Why should 95% of bowlers pay for the privilage of the 5% to be the only ones to get the benefit out of it. People are grizzling now at the $5.00 increase this year, They were wanting to know what they get for their money before that increase. An extra $5.00 to keep the elite bowlers in the prize money they would like to get used to would tip most of them over the edge.

Just a couple of quick questions, do TBA know exactly how many registered bowlers we have currently playing in Australia?
Cricket, Football, Soccer, Basketball, Netball, Hockey and every other sport's governing body in this country would have accurate figures on their player numbers.
Does Bowling?
Secondly, what is the actual TBA registration fee for 2007?
I've heard from someone over on the mainland that they paid $11 and for some reason ours is $20 this year (up by about 7 or 8 bucks from last year) :confused:
Not having a sook about the price (it's still cheap), just curious as to what's with the discrepancy, why the sudden rise and what it's going too?
As to your post, I personally wouldn't have any qualms with chucking in another fiver if I knew it was going to benefit the sport as a whole, but I could see a lot of once a week league players saying 'but what do we get out of it by paying extra?', which they're quite entitled to ask.

The difference between the $11 that goes to the National Body and the $20that you pay, is possibly the charge by your local Association for Local benefits.
Our Association also set its membership fee at $20 (which includes the $11 to TBA) and for that we get the full award scheme, an annual Championship Prizefund in excess of $4000, Secretarial expenses and from time to time we pay a small subsidy to members who make State or National Teams.

We can do this as we have over 1000 members, smaller Associations probably could not afford that number of benefits.

Tiger in answer to your first question, up until this year TBA would have had no idea how many members they have as they did not have any data base.
This was probably one of the main reasons for the procedural change in this years membership registration.

Next year the States have been promised funds from Membership registration so the States will probably process the membership cards. (This is being trialled in Qld right now.)

Both State and Federal Governments are monitoring their grants to all sporting organisations and they require the organisations to maintain an up to date data base of all members.

Thanks for the detailed response Andrew, most appreciated.
Definately a step in the right direction maintaining a properly maintained and professional data-base, makes it at least look a more professional outfit.
It'll be interesting to see what the actual numbers are of registered bowlers that we currently have, about 15 years back there were 115,000 registered.
Must admit, I was kind of surprised by only being charged $11 or $13 or whatever it was last year, as I can remember paying more in the early 90's, so $20 is still very inexpensive really, when compared to the rise in costs of everything else in the game and the price of memberships at other organisations.

Tiger I also feel TBA have made it hard for themselves by maintaining their weird membership methods over the past few years. It's much easier to accept a small increase each year rather than have it all in one hit.

We may not like lineage increases but we have learned to live with them each January and even expect them.

Certainly I think they have it right this time - I only hope they can tell us a lot earlier what the charge will be for 2008.

I don't know where the Board Members bowl, or even if they bowl, but quite clearly they are out of touch with the needs of Leagues regarding information.

Great idea but i think the money is going to the wrong place.

I would gladly pay $5 extra if every cent went to financing the travels of our representitive teams to travel to international events.

Lets have our best team selected not the best team that can afford to go. How many bowlers have missed out over the years because they are not in a financial position to do so.

Phil

I dont think it would be possible to explain it to a new bowler. Ask the bowler who has just joined a league for the first time, for his $25 and explain the breakdown...when you get to the $5 for national ranked events he/she would just laugh at you. $1 and maybe it would be reasonable to them.

Great idea but i think the money is going to the wrong place.
I would gladly pay $5 extra if every cent went to financing the travels of our representitive teams to travel to international events.
Lets have our best team selected not the best team that can afford to go. How many bowlers have missed out over the years because they are not in a financial position to do so.
Phil
I agree with philby. I would shudder to think that ANY of my TBA sub went to Super 6 (or other) tournament prize funds. But I'm just a 190 - 200 bowler on an old age pension who once enjoyed WDV :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom