Why Bowling is Really Dying !!!!!

F

Funky Chicken

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately, and I'll tell you why bowling is steadily losing people each year.

Bowling has become very elitist, whereby a lot of good bowlers are of the opinion that the game owes them something, rather than them putting something back into the game to make it bigger and better.

Most are too full of their own self importance to talk to fringe bowlers, heaven forbid even giving the odd tip to someone who is struggling a bit. The fringe bowler is made to feel like he/she shouldn't even be there, let alone try and compete against these bowling "GODS". This would explain why so many tournaments struggle to attract 30 bowlers. I mean there are enough wankers in the world without having to pay $160-$200 for the privelage of being treated like a 2nd class citizen and having to listen to some of the verbal diahorrea that some bowlers speak.

Thankfully there are some exceptions to this rule and two that immediately spring to mind are David Weild and Jon King.

Weildy is the ultimate gentleman on and off the lanes, will talk to anybody and heaven forbid encourages his opponents during matchplay in a most sportsman like manner. This guy knows a hell a lot about bowling, lane conditions etc and some of these so called "Gun" bowlers could take a leaf out of his book.

Jon King is another one who is a really nice guy who isn't afraid to talk to unknown bowlers and give them encouragement when they are bowling well. I bowled on the lanes with him during the Mackay Open and even though he was struggling he was still able to find time to talk to me. But what was really refreshing was hearing his comments after the Suncity Open. I mean here is a guy who has just returned from a highly triumphant Rachuig campaign, and who probably set himself very high standards. He didn't bowl as well as he would have liked but did he complain about the lanes, the approaches, the colour of the bowls carpet?? No, he copped it on the chin, identified his shortfalls and acted like a true professional.

To Dave and Jon (and other people like you) it is people like you that keep me playing this great game. To the self appointed bowling "Legends" and other general know alls, please do me and a heap of others a big favour and pull your heads in and learn a bit of humility.

Just because I am not a "name" bowler don't ignore me and treat me like a talentless hack. Hell, I am sure I paid my entry fee just like you and if it weren't for us "no name" bowlers even more tournaments would fold.

As if reactive balls, ditched up lanes, and increasing costs weren't doing enough damage to our game.

Steve Hunt

icon_sad.gif
icon_mad.gif

To Steve
Good to see someone else trying to give the self appointed gods of our game some advice on how to become legends of the game,keep speaking loud and often sooner or later these apparent gods will understand what us commoners trying to say.
One last thought, Maybe they are the way they are from people blowing a lot of hot air up thier bums.This,I believe is when thier heads become swelled to the point of blood loss then stupidity kicks in .
Till next time
Tryhard

Id have to agree with you on that one Steve.

Thats possibly one of the reasons why i dont bowl in tournaments any more. Theres so many bowlers out there that are so sure of them selves maybee thaey should stop and consider that its not just talent alone that makes you a good bowler, how you are percieved and how u present yourself goes a long way aswell. Most of the top bowlers i know wouldnt piss on you if you were on fire. Well all i can say is what goes round comes round. But on the positive side there are a few good people out there, who i wont name coz they know who they are. And to those i say thankyou.

And to the rest i say kiss my a**

Steve,

What I know of you I would hardly call you a hack. Do not ever underestimate yourself and your ability.There has been nothing but positive feedback from your triumphant weekend.

Obviously you are still a nice guy because you would not have taken the time to write those fabulous things about Buddy and Jon.

As for Buddy he is absolutely one in a million. I have never met a more sincere, kind,encouraging bloke. He is loved by many.

Steve, keep up the good work.

Anyway what is in a name. It is heart and soul that counts.

Cheers,
Sam Warby
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Sam,

You really are too kind.

It's really wonderful to hear from you, as it seems like ages since I last spoke to you (I think it was the time I ran into you at Super A-mart at Boondall about 2 years ago).

If it's OK with you, can I have your email address and I will drop you a line.

Steve
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom