When Grown Men Cry

xballs

bujinkan budo taijutsu
A little story for you all - I wont mention names - because people will get probably get upset - although I don't think they read this site.

The other night in bowling a person who has been bowling for many years, I would say they are over 50year old was bowling against a fill in. This fill in would probably be 11 or 12 years old. It would be fair to say nothing went the way of the older person. In fact their conduct was embracing, chucking bowling ball bags on the seat & generally spitting the dummy. When the young person would strike or spare he did not even offer her encouragement. What a shame. I am sure this would leave on bad impression on the young people coming into our sport. In time when we are trying to more people into our sport not leave - this is sad.

Dave Kuhn :(:(

People like this are sometimes the reason why many young people drop out. People spitting the dummy and throwing tempertantrums isn't a good way to promote our sport, also makes you look a lot like an ass. Doesn't matter if your losing, a high 5 or a good shot is all that's needed.

I'd say name and shame. I've thrown temper tantrums like a lot of people while bowling but I always show respect for my opponent, no matter who it is and show sportsmanship

I was going to but - I don't think that would change him. He lost all three games anyway - people like that generally get what they deserve.

All bowlers both young and old should show respect toward their follow bowlers whether teammates or opposition. Shame on those that don't. Only you have control over your own game so why pass on your negativity to others. They surely don't need it.

My experience of my first open tournament left a bitter taste in my mouth because of the bad behaviour and poor sportsmanship of others bowling in the tournament and these were experienced bowlers both younger and older generations. I need to build up my resistance to be able to overcome their bad behaviour. I am trying to build myself up competitively and need to concentrate on my own bowling and certainly dont need them having continual dummy spits, swearing, kicking ball returns etc when I am next to bowl or on the lane next to them.

BTW I have not entered another open tournament since.

Ok Ok, we all know who you are on about dave,and i agree that the junior in question should be given encouragement, but as to these others who are going on about bad sportsmanship in "pro tourneys" i figure that this is up to the tourney directors to control the behaviour of temperamental bowlers as you would well know.

Ok Ok, we all know who you are on about dave,and i agree that the junior in question should be given encouragement, but as to these others who are going on about bad sportsmanship in "pro tourneys" i figure that this is up to the tourney directors to control the behaviour of temperamental bowlers as you would well know.

It is up to the individual to control themselves first. I think that if the tournament director has to get involved at any point over a matter like this then that person is not doing the sport justice, which is of course the original argument in a nutshell.

I really believe that people who don't show others respect around them should be punished in some way. Naming and shaming may not make a difference but giving them a red card and missing a weeks bowling but still having to pay would probably hurt them in a way they understand. This method has been used in contract leagues I've bowled in years ago.

Back
Top Bottom