What would you do if you ran the TBA??

Deadman Inc

1990 − 2011. Retired 2012 − 2013. Back Again 2014
Just wondering what you would do if you ran the TBA in regards to tournaments, membership, junior development, national team etc

#1 I'd treat each and every bowler as if they were the most important person in the sport. No playing favourites or bending/changing policies or rules to suit some undisclosed agenda. A good example of this was the criteria that was used to select our national men's team for the world championships. Although i agree 100% with the bowlers who were selected, I consider the way in which they were chosen was against all rules of fairness.

Enforce bowling centers to register each & every single league bowler. Our voice won't be heard when half of our participants don't even register them selves.

Also, I totally agree with Wayne on his points. I'm off in the sticks & can still see this happening in our area.

COMMUNICATION

The main problem I think TBA have is that there is no communication between our sporting body and the bowlers.. Only a small percentage of the participants (social and League) in our sport know of TBA and that bowling has a competive nature to it..

Even now why doesnt TBA inform us of how their new VISION is going? They mentioned we wouldnt see any changes untill end of september, so i dont expect anything now, but letting us know how things are going would be great.. The fact that the ordinary league bowler doesnt even know the rules to league bowling is also poor.. everyone has an idea how footy rules are but dont know what to do if the pin deck knocks over a pin?

This lack of communication also plays apart in why our membership numbers are low.. no one knows what the membership does for them..

Regards,
Marc

Bowlers on the whole want to talk face to face or at least on the phone and don't like this cloak and dagger style of send and email and you will eventually get a reply (maybe).

TBA's problem is that it chose to implement a structure that just doesn't work. Even though we may be in what is called the information age bowlers are creatures of habit and just as the uptake of internet banking is slow in some sectors of the population so is the acceptance of an officeless organization.

The other major structural issue is that the average joe bowler does not see any value for their TBA registration fee. This was not a problem with leagues that sanction with eiher the CTBAM and MTBA as affiliated area associations in Melbourne as the two associations still provide the services to bowlers (awards etc.) they have been providing for as long as they have been in existence.

I would firstly arrange a meeting between all the major stakeholders involved in the Ten Pin Bowling industry in Australia. The major points of order to be:

Encourage the Proprietors, Suppliers to the Ten pin industry and suppliers to the Ten pin centers to provide funding towards the National programs that need to be implemented to cement the long term future of the sport.

Encourage the development of funding or fundraising programs to ensure that our national representatives do not have to be out of pocket to represent the country.

Determine a positive way for the promotion of the Ten pin as a sport Australia wide.

Highlighting Ten pin as a weight bearing exercise activity for all ages to help promote the health benefits.

Highlight Ten pin as a great social activity enjoyed by bowlers over their whole lifetime.

Establish a TBA National office and then recruit and affiliate associations to administer the game in all local areas (similar to the MTBA, CTBAM, TQI etc.)

Determine a fair and equitable registration fee / sanction fee to be paid by all bowlers from their first league per annum Australia wide. The registration fee to be passed to TBA national office and the sanction fee to be retained by the area association to cover the cost of bowler awards, league stationery etc. Awards to be free of charge to all bowlers. Awards provided to be determined at a meeting of the TBA executive which will contain a representative from each area association.

Make all TBA board positions 12 months duration only and determined by a vote of the bowlers. All bowlers who hold a TBA card being eligible to vote with postal votes acceptable but no proxy votes allowed.

The revamping of the Nationals to include the breakaway Holt tournament to reestablish it as a viable and creditable celebration of our sport.

Encourage the establishment of a viable and creditable National and Regional tournament circuit.

Introduce age level competitions similar to those in place in football, netball etc to reinvigorate the develoment of junior bowlers in our sport.

The establishment of a National register for league averages with an aim for tournament directors to be able to easily check a bowlers average for up to a three year period to eliminate the problem that handicapping seems to have for some.

Just reading on the health benefits part of your post, jockey, I totally agree.

I must say though, I have seen a lot of improvement in the encouragement of bowling in regards to schools, since i started (& since I finished school)
When I was in school going back 3 years ago, our school NEVER encouraged bowling, even for sports day ( bowling was only considered for about half a term or so ) But nowadays, our center is catering not only for sports groups, but P.E classes, I don't believe there is a day where we don't have at least one school group come through.

Maybe someone has spoken to the department of education about this issue? (Then again, maybe our town is just slow, lol)

On another note, I think promoting bowling as a sport is going to have the most effect in schools. Our center is planning to take our portable lane to each school in our area to promote the sport, next year.

#1 I'd treat each and every bowler as if they were the most important person in the sport.

Absolutely your BEST comment Wayne

Come on guys thats not the way to think. I am sure some of the people running the TBA already think that way and that is not going to help or sport.

COMMUNICATION
The main problem I think TBA have is that there is no communication between our sporting body and the bowlers.. Only a small percentage of the participants (social and League) in our sport know of TBA and that bowling has a competive nature to it..
Marc

Couldn't agree more. I've been a member for many years and not once have I heard/spoken to a member of TBA. The only reason I get a membership is so I can bowl in tournaments.

If I was head of TBA I would get into the bowling community and see first hand what is happening. Speak with those that make TBA exist, and get their thoughts.

The problem now is that the only thoughts heard by TBA are from those willing to make the effort to go to them and express their thoughts. From my experience for every one of those people there are 9 others who won't say anything.

Once information is gathered through these means then it can be used to create.

TBA should set up a CENTRE based association in every bowling centre thro-out Australia who would accountable to the State Association, who in turn should be accountable to TBA National Body.
Every League bowler in Australia should a registration fee approx $25.00 per bowler per centre.(if you bowl in more than 1 centre you pay more than 1 fee) Income from these registration fees should be broken up into 3 parts:
1.Centre Association - should receive $2.50 per bowler registered in their centre.
2.State Association - should receive $7.50 per bowler registered in their State.
3. TBA national Body - should receive $15.00 per bowler registered in ALL centres thru-out Australia.

At the moment the are approx 173 Bowling centres with a total of 2787 bowling lanes. If we apply a simple formula of say 20 League bowlers per lanes in operation we should have approx 55,740 registered league bowlers and if TBA applied a registration fee of $25.00.
The income to the Local centres would receive $149,000 (divided by 173 centres) and State Associations would $448,000 (divided by 8 State Ass.) & TBA National Body approx $896,000.Using this formula all players within the Tenpin Bowling Industry would benefit and be able to help promote the sport and set programs in place which could be part funded by the income stream from the Bowlers registration fee.

Each state would receive the following approx break down based on lanes and Registered league bowlers. It must be remembered that some centre have a higher league base than other centres, however this formula should encourage all within the industry to recruit and increase the income base on, Local, State & National Associations.

Example Income of all the State:

1.ACT - 56 lanes - $8400
2.QLD - 662 lanes - $99,300
3.NSW - 817 lanes - $122,550
4.NT - 32 lanes - $4800
5.SA - 274 lanes - $41,100
6.TAS - 58 lanes - $8700
7.WA - 182 lanes - $27,300
8.VIC - 706 lanes - $105,900

The above examples are only based on 20 registered league bowlers per lane. Yet we know some centre average a lot more than 20 per lane.

On top of the above Players registration fees all centres should be levied $50.00 per lane with all income ( $114,350 ) should be totally devoted to National advertising and promotions.

Unless TBA can bring everyone under the same umbrella we will struggle to become ONE unified body within the TENPIN BOWLING Industry.

1. Resign. 2. Escape to South America. Why? Not possible to have lots of individual businesses, controlled in any meaningful 'sports administration' way, when they are usually struggling in the 'entertainment industry.' Sports Administration without control results in shambles, without anyone specifically to answer for it.

As I have said previously, the Downturn in Membership started, when there was a Coup to have Managers and anyone else who worked in Bowling Centres, unable to be Members of the Associations. Prior to the Coup, Managers were automatic representatives of the Centre association, which in turn meant they were vigilant, in seeing that every League that Bowled in the Centre, became Registered.

After the Coup, well they couldn't care less and I seen them many times over the years, actively work against Centre Associations, because of varying reasons, i.e, they didn't like the Rep, or they thought the Associations would cause trouble to New Leagues etc.

So in saying that I think we need to get back to the Old Days and have the Managers automatically represented on the Boards, they have the most influence in the Centre.

willey

Immediately employ 1 or 2 people to control advertising and sponsorship income. Pay penuts, and you will get monkeys. Put up a 50k base with commission bonuses, and you will attract very solid sales people.

The main problem with the TBA, is they have bugger all income. Seeking bowlers furthur fund something they get little or no return from could possibly drive more bowlers away.

Big corporations have big deep pockets, and securing a dozen major sponsors (50 to 100k per year) as well as 30-50 minor sponsors along the way within a 12 month period would be a minimal easy target for anyone with advertising acquisition experience. We are talking about millions of dollars that could THEN be used to attract more bowlers with plenty to spare to assist the top level.

It would be easy to fix all of the minor and internal issues of the sport if money at the top wasn't an issue.

Back
Top Bottom