What is an Advantage Really

magpi17

After reading about the New Rule introduced and reading of a lot of other threads I am left as to what really is an advantage and what should we all as righteous people do to limit others enjoying their bowling.
I admit to using a wrist thingy sometimes not always though because it bugs me and yea I am able to cover a bit more area but gees I am not really a high average bowler I seem to bowl at around 180ish on a good day a bit better. I also use thumb tape, grip powder, ball cleaners though not on the day when bowling, I use the new style microfibre towels that clean the ball better, shoes with exchangeable soles and heels and reactive cover stock bowling balls.
I wonder where do we stop using what?
I however do not begrudge anyone using anything that will encourage them to bowl and enjoy it and never will as you still need skill and knowledge to make the most out any tool that will give you assistance!
Just my thoughts!

G'Day Neil,

Here is my thought for what it is worth.

It is only an advantage if nobody else has it. Seeing as everybody has the same access to what everybody else has, then the advantage is gone.

The key is the knowledge of when to use it and when to bag it. So really the advantage from a league social level is that the conditions are easier and the skill level not so important. But again everybody is in the same position again.

Then Sport Pattern as you know is tough, again everybody has the same equipment spec's, the difference is knowledge and skill.

John, for someone who does a lot of good questions asking, you just answered that one pretty well.

I think we also have to ask ourselves, 'Is this doing the sport of bowling good?'.

Wristguards have advantages and they have disadvantages. I used to wear one, and now couldn't imagine going back to it understanding the limits it placed on my release. Headphones, I've never tried wearing them when bowling. Some people obviously think it does some good. As for the balls, patterns etc etc, thats another topic for a much earlier time of the night.

We could be debating this subject and the hypotheticals that arise for years, actually, we have been...

Cow

Hey Cow,

No such thing as a silly question, only ever silly answers! I think the worst a person can do is not listen to the great advice given by the top guys that post like yourself, Michael Little and Jason Doust just to name a few.

Every week is a learning experience and a little more knowledge into the memory bank for when it is needed.

So thanks to the guys that take the time to answer.

And now back to the topic.

We should have a separate section on TB.

Ask Dousty!

He runs around answering everyones questions as it is. Might as well have them all in the same place.

Back
Top Bottom