What did you do today that was cool?

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
What non-bowling thing did you do today that you really enjoyed? I went for a ride around Lake Burley Griffin and back home. Still on it as I type this.

It's a typical perfect Canberra winter's day. Blue sky, cool breeze and I can feel a bit of sunburn on my forearms. Just had some really good walnut and dried muscatel grapes to refueling for the home leg. A nice Federal Policeman filled up my water bottle at the GG's residence, Yarralumla .Here's a photo from where I am on the island where the national carillion is sited.

Perfect day. Just thought I'd share it with you...

Cheers,Jason

Attachments

• 20062010178.jpg
    20062010178.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 26
I may not be in "paradise" but I did watch Port Adelaide lose. This is as close to paradise as I need to be :D

I was in paradise, watched the V8's and Whincup drove like a legend. Pity he's in the wrong make of car.

Jason that's a great picture, but you mentioned the word winter, so I gotta ask what kind of winter day do you have in June? Here in Memphis it's high 90's, and cool for us is mid to low 90's. Although September it should drop down to the 80's.

Thanks Bill, It's just shot off my phone. I really need to get on the bike with a decent camera, as there's some great shots to be had. That's Lake Burley Griffin, named after Chicago-born landscape architect Waler Burley Griffin, who originally designed Canberra with his wife Marion Mahoney. So there's an American connection there! It's my bit over halfway point on the ride, about 25km's in, with the big uphill bit to come.

It was about 18°C, which is 64°F. But as you can see from the picture, the sky was as clear as could be. In Canberra, the sun is intensely bright, owing to 500m (~1600ft) altitude and really good air quality, so it warms you nicely. (As does a nice ride.)

Cheers,
Jason

I received a good reception to my papier mache horse's head that I made for an inter-team world cup based competition at work. Last time I papier-mache'd was when I was 8. 40 years later I stil got it :)

Edit: my team drew Italy. Horse head idea plagiarised from The Godfather

Jason it sounds like you have a great place there. As for something cool, on Sunday my son and I went to Jonesboro Ar. to bowl a tournament, I wasn't planning to go but at the last minute some one canceled. To make a long story short I wound up bowling heavy oil lanes with a light oil ball. The funny part is that I bowled a 190 clean game for game 3, and finished the six game set with a 129 average. The funniest part is that I wasn't the lowest, I couldn't believe some one bowled worst than I did. All in all I had a great time, and the next time I might evan try.

Hey guys, I finally figured out that summer for me is winter for you all, I'm sure I learned it 30+ years ago in high school, but who ever payed attention in high school. So if I ever make it to Australia it will be in July.

Summers are great here too Bill. Just be prepared for the water circulating the other way around on the sink. ;-) Bummer about your equipment choice in Jonesboro!

As for me, this Sunday just gone the weather was cold and wet. Spent the day reading a really good book in daggy old clothes in front of the fire. Drank some good Tasmanian cider and dark chocolate and just to top it off, had some really hearty Chinese take away for tea. That's a great day when you're schedule has been like mine lately!

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. I can thoroughly recommend "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. It's about the size of both testaments. The pace picks up after about the 3rd paragraph and never stops again.

Today, I had a day off...and I went roller skating!
It was so fun. I actually rented skates, not blades and spent an hour skating. It was fun!!

Did that last month!

First time I traveled down Ipswich road to get to the Mater hospital, before I realised I was on the Clem and I ended up on the northside near Kelvin Grove! Funny thing is it seemed quicker to me, to get back over the bridge than getting there via the Clem! Just like the Go Card, things are a lot "quicker" now, it just takes a lot longer! hmmmm!

Today, I had a day off...and I went roller skating!
It was so fun. I actually rented skates, not blades and spent an hour skating. It was fun!!

I LOVE roller skating! I might even get a pair and go around Lake Burley Griffin! I see folks blading around there a lot.

Sunday was my Sister-In-Law's 50th. 52 of us met at the Balcony Restaurant in Wamberal (was yummy!) and she thought she was coming to a family lunch. So when she was walking through the car park and we were all hanging off the balcony cheering, it was gold.

Even funnier was the look on the middle aged guy in his sluggo's washing the sand off himself in a plastic tub in the next lane of the car park when we were all cheering! ;) Hilarious!

Then we relaxed in perfect weather and enjoyed, good food, wine and company.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Mum and Dad shouted us dinner the night before at the Pizza Pit in Buff Point. Not so keen on the name, but it's definitely a recommendation for cheap and cheerful Italian. Every bite was a pleasure.

Back
Top Bottom