Wearing Hats while bowling

Just a quick question - if someone is wearing a hat and at the foul line when or after delivering his/her shot the hat falls off onto the lane - would this be classed as a foul shot ??.... just curious

Rulebook aficionados correct me if I'm wrong...

Technically that's not a foul. But they must ask for and receive permission to retrieve it.

If they step or reach over the foul line and grab it before permission is granted, that's a foul for that shot.

Technically that's not a foul. But they must ask for and receive permission to retrieve it.

If they step or reach over the foul line and grab it before permission is granted, that's a foul for that shot.

Totally correct.

Rule 119 5 When foreign objects such as cigarettes, cigars, pencils, etc, drop from a bowler’s pocket on or across the foul line and no part of the bowler’s person touches on or across the foul line, no foul is committed.

It also depends on weather the ball had been delivered

G'day All
Just common curtsey or general good manners would demand that a gentleman would take his hat off when entering inside anywhere but alas today's generation are probally not conversant with either one of the above.
Cheers
Mick............................................whoops incoming......

I find myself agreeing with you, and you are also correct in the generational differences, I always took my hat when going indoors regardless of where I was, always drummed into me as a kid, kind of up there with opening doors etc etc. Personally couldn't care less if someone was wearing hat, their perogative. The only thing that can really restrict is it depends on how professional the league wants to be, every centre has some type of premier league and so on.

When is a shot regarded as completed? When all pins stopped moving, guard is down, never? Say it is when the guard is lowered the shot is regarded as completed, if one then grabs the hat, is this regarded as a foul?

And on a similar note, where is "the foul line" in the vertical axis? Is it from the line to the roof? Or do you actually have to touch the lane on/past the foul line?
If the foot finishes a centimeter from the line though the knee bend is "over" the line is this technically a foul?

When is a shot regarded as completed? When all pins stopped moving, guard is down, never? Say it is when the guard is lowered the shot is regarded as completed, if one then grabs the hat, is this regarded as a foul?

And on a similar note, where is "the foul line" in the vertical axis? Is it from the line to the roof? Or do you actually have to touch the lane on/past the foul line?
If the foot finishes a centimeter from the line though the knee bend is "over" the line is this technically a foul?

I would say no, as a majority of all bowlers will have some part of their body going over the foul line at some stage of their delivery, I think the line is there in a much similar purpose to that of a javelin or discus thrower etc. Never bothered to look at the rules and I may sound like an idiot (won't be the first time!), but my understanding would be that once the shot is completed and machine has cycled ready for next shot in play whether it be yours or another bowlers.

Could use a lot of words to answer that, but hope this will suffice. The foul line continues up the wall on end lanes. You must TOUCH an object or surface past that line ( with any part of you ), provided the ball has been released and has touched the lane surface. Lets just be a little silly for a moment. You lose the ball on your backswing. It drops on the approach behind you. You look back for the ball , trip and slide across the foul line like a beached whale flapping your flippers. It is not a foul.

Forgot to address when shot completed ( for the purpose of picking up the hat without permission ) effectively never if a first ball, and until a following player is on the approach prepared to bowl, if a second ball.

Hell - I've used all that ' lot of words' anyhow.

A shot used to be completed when the next shot began, however in the practical sense for mine it's when the ball has left your hand, AND entered the lane area, AND you have your balance back - much the same as in Gymnastics where you're not 'finished' until you're balanced.

The ballbeing delivered isn't relevant to the quote of Rule 119, because even if the ball is delivered it's not a foul.

Similarly touching the lane surface isn't relevant either, it could go straight in the gutter or even over the capping and land on the walkway, if it left your hand and you stumble over the line it's a foul (obviously in the practical sense it doesn't matter, since clearly you would only be scored a MISS at best anyway from the walkway ;))

I did once observe a bowler suffer a bit of a snag of the thumb, all the way up the follow through and the ball went almost straight up. It came down with an almighty thud within arms reach on the lane, and came to rest right there, barely a half a roll and it caught on a weight hole or something (don't quite remember). Crappy way to start a frame, great big miss like that!

Really?? So long as you promise to give me a ceptor for my left hand it should balance me right out - oh and dont forget my cape to complete the look :)

Back
Top Bottom