Wayne Bennett to quit Broncos after this season

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Sad day for Brisbane, I wonder how much longer before Lockyer goes?

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett will step down as coach at the end of the 2008 season, ending a 21-year reign that's endured since the club's formation and brought with it six premierships.

Bennett, 58, was contracted until the end of 2009. However, he requested a meeting with the Broncos' board last night, where he asked members to accept his resignation - "something the board reluctantly did", a club statement said this morning.

An announcement has been made at the Broncos' Red Hill headquarters - but Bennett was nowhere to be seen, with a club spokesman saying he would not comment to the media this morning.

In a statement released to media this morning, Bennett said he informed members of the Broncos' board on December 10 last year of his intention to resign at the completion of season 2008.

"I was requested to take a `cooling-off period', which I agreed to," Bennett said.

"If my position had not changed by the end of January 2008 it was agreed that my intentions would be made public after the scheduled board meeting on Tuesday, February 5.

"Last night I officially informed the board of my resignation."

Bennett said his time had come as coach of the Broncos - but not as a coach - indicating he would seek other coaching opportunities in 2009.

"The Broncos have always believed it is better for a player to leave a year too early than a year too late," he said.

"I have always believed there should be no exception, even for a coach.

"My intention is to continue to coach - either in the northern hemisphere or the southern hemisphere. My time has not come to an end as a coach."

Bennett said he was currently not in negotiations with any other club.

About time,

Sorry he might be a good coach but he is pain in the butt and dont care about the rules

sadly rugby league in this country is run by a media organisation.

News ltd also own a majority share in the broncos and bennett has anligned himself with a group of brisbane business men who want to buy the club back and that is why for the last 12-18 months there has been an anti bennett agenda in the news ltd papers and why bruno cullen has clashed with him at every occasion.

Im no bronco fan but bennett is rugby leagues Vince Lombardi. Im sure which ever sydney club pick him will win a comp.

maybe Manly an pick him up?
george i would love for manly to pick him up in a mentor role for Des Hasler.
But Desy has a pretty good record
2004 11
2005 8th
2006 6th
2007 2nd

your a smart bloke G im sure you can see the trend there :D

Sad to see him go. Would be FANTASTIC to have him involved with the Cowboys. He is the heart and soul of the Broncos, he's been there since day 1 and 6 premierships to date. Bennett is irreplaceable and the Broncos will never be the same again. Bring on Alfie as new coach for the Broncs!!

2004 11
2005 8th
2006 6th
2007 2nd

What no Premierships, that's no good record, time to part I think, because when menzies goes, Manly goes........................... Down the toilet:D:D:D:D:p

You obviously weren't watching much last year, were you hammer?
Cuthbertson, Watmough ... should I go on?
We'll be fine ... just wonder how many Boinco's have 'Get Out" clauses in their contracts for when he goes ...
Try some word association hammer ... here ... Rats - Sinking Ship ...
Dessie could be Wayne's mentor ... ;):D

Alfie is coming back, Bronco's will be on top again with the little general at the helm.

As a Broncos supporter, I am not sad to see him go. In my opinion, the broncos have gone backwards in the last few seasons because Wayne did not, either by choice or he just didn't want to, teach the team any new plays. It got to the stage that all the other teams in the NRL knew how the broncos played and either copied, matched or outmatched their every play. The Broncos need new blood and new plays to get back on top. I know I am probably stepping on toes here but I am only thinking realistic.

As a Broncos supporter, I am not sad to see him go. In my opinion, the broncos have gone backwards in the last few seasons because Wayne did not, either by choice or he just didn't want to, teach the team any new plays. It got to the stage that all the other teams in the NRL knew how the broncos played and either copied, matched or outmatched their every play. The Broncos need new blood and new plays to get back on top. I know I am probably stepping on toes here but I am only thinking realistic.
You have got to be talking about the London Broncos. Wayne Bennett led the Brisbane Broncos to the premiership in 2006, less than 2 years ago and led a team decimated by injuries to yet another finals appearance last year. And he always bloods new players into successful players every season. What more could you ask for from a coach??

What no Premierships, that's no good record, time to part I think, because when menzies goes, Manly goes........................... Down the toilet:D:D:D:D:p
can someone translate here because i dont understand a word Mr Steve Walsh just said.

2004 11
2005 8th
2006 6th
2007 2nd
your a smart bloke G im sure you can see the trend there :D

Hey Cam,
Is this a mathematical series where you work out the next number??
I guess it's cyclical so the next is:
2008 11

:D :p

Rhyss.

Not that I can talk being a Dragons supporter :rolleyes: :frusty2:

Back
Top Bottom