Another AFL coach gone!

Crawf

Doin' the Mess Around!
What in hell is going on in the AFL right now?? Kevin Sheedy after 27 years as Essendon coach will not be coaching the Bombers next season, the fourth coach to go this season. Now I may be a bit biased as an Essendon supporter, but what's the story? Essendon are still in contention for finals, and Sheedy is still regarded as tactically one of the smartest coaches in the game today. Kudos to Sheedy; I think he did a fantastic job, and I've never known an Essendon team without him as coach.

The bigger question I think is why are so many coaches suddenly being chopped this season? My favourite media report was that despite the Roos sitting second on the ladder, the club was considering not renewing Dean Laidley's contract. And that team is on the rise! Who'd want to be a coach?

Here's a thought; perhaps the players are crap? Maybe recruit better, rather than heading straight for the coach's juggular. A coach can only do so much with an awful playing list, see Pagan and Wallace. Pagan was absolutely slaughtered by the draft punishments early on. But I guess results are results, and sadly Terry Wallace is heading down the same path with a sub standard playing list through poor recruitment. Even Neale Daniher probably had an overrated list at Melbourne, with mixed success.

I would feel very aggreived if I were Sheedy, and perhaps even Daniher as Melbourne had awful luck with injuries early on. I think these two might be back in the game next season. As for Terry Wallace, I believe the Tigers will have some better results in more like 3 to 4 years, but at the rate that AFL coaches are biting the dust, he won't be around to see it.

A final note...

MAKE THE PLAYERS ACCOUNTABLE FOR GOD SAKE!

End rant!

A coach is only as good as his cattle....

In saying that, I bring up:

The bigger question I think is why are so many coaches suddenly being chopped this season? My favourite media report was that despite the Roos sitting second on the ladder, the club was considering not renewing Dean Laidley's contract. And that team is on the rise! Who'd want to be a coach?

I believe its not got to do with the Kangaroos not wanting to renew the contract. Laidley is one of the lowest paid coaches in the AFL. His net worth as at least doubled this year and the Kangaroos might not have that extra money laying around to warrant that sort of pay rise.

Although I've never really been a Laidley fan personally, It's got me stuffed how the Kangaroos are sitting so high (I'm a Roos supporter) so he has got to be doing something right.

On another observation, it's interesting about the 2 major Aussie sports, AFL and Cricket. When the AFL team is losing, its the coaches fault, when the Cricket teams are losing, its the Captains fault.

Who else may lose their job this year?

p.s. Carn the Roos!

my knowledge on things afl isnt that good however
Richmond arent doing that well either and i remember hearing a few seasons back Sheedy was keen to coach at richmond.

Would this be a posibilty now?

I believe its not got to do with the Kangaroos not wanting to renew the contract. Laidley is one of the lowest paid coaches in the AFL. His net worth as at least doubled this year and the Kangaroos might not have that extra money laying around to warrant that sort of pay rise.

That's right tonx! Laidley should be applauded (and rewarded) for the Roos resurgence. But I also hear that they want to assess him on 'not just this season, but his performance over the last 5 years.' Essentially, a lot of the board members are looking for any excuse to get rid of him, whatever happens this season. A lot like Sheedy at Essendon actually, but he managed to survive 27 years of split board decisions, so perhaps Laidley can take a page from that book.

Dennis Pagan is another coach who was given the axe after the 117-point mauling from the resurgent Brisbane Lions. Word has it Carlton want Lions legend Michael Voss to take over as coach. Not sure what the story is at the moment though.

LIONS 2007 AFL PREMIERS

Dennis Pagan is another coach who was given the axe after the 117-point mauling from the resurgent Brisbane Lions. Word has it Carlton want Lions legend Michael Voss to take over as coach. Not sure what the story is at the moment though.

LIONS 2007 AFL PREMIERS

Make that after a dismall month with a few beltings in there , Brett Ratten is care taker coach for the remainder of the season..... as to who will be next years coach ... I believe Michael Voss , Ratten and Craig Bradley are on the short list according to the speculations.

Dennis did an ok job with the list he had not being able to use the draft for 2 or 3 years ....... really killed us.

But now us supporters have to look at the future , Brett should do a brilliant job for the remainder of the season...... and I think it will be a fresh new start to season 08 ....... we can only hope ;)

Sheedy played for Richmond so a coaching stint there probably could be quite on the cards. And there may be a run at Essendon for one of it's favourite families... a Daniher boy?

Just my 2cents...

just wanted to put my 2 cents in!
although it is a possibility, i dont think richmond will sack wallace! for the pure fact that he has 3 years left on his contract, and they would have to pay him out! as far as i know the club does not have that kind of money at this time! and then to try and pay sheedy? thats a lot of coin!!!

Here's a thought; perhaps the players are crap? Maybe recruit better, rather than heading straight for the coach's juggular. A coach can only do so much with an awful playing list, see Pagan and Wallace. Pagan was absolutely slaughtered by the draft punishments early on. But I guess results are results, and sadly Terry Wallace is heading down the same path with a sub standard playing list through poor recruitment. Even Neale Daniher probably had an overrated list at Melbourne, with mixed success.

just another thing! most of u would say..... "its not the coaches fault, they can only make do with the list they have infront of them....", the coach has a reasonable say in who is drafted to the club!!!! so some of the list is there fault aswell!!
E.g.
richmonds main down fall for the last 2 years has been there lack of tall players! terry wallace was suppose to daft a tall ruckman in this years draft and failed to!

Just my thoughts

Daboy

Back
Top Bottom