*WARNING* DO NOT OPEN EMAIL OR PM

2 from this person today within an hour of each other, this is 2nd person in the last 4 weeks, interesting they were both from USA, how are they getting their pm thru

Thanks Jase,

Good work - I got this pm and did not action it as I have seen this type of thing before. Question though, I was not sure how to contact you to have this removed.

If I have any concerns like this in the future, how do I get hold of you directly to address this.

Cheers
Jon King

Jase,

Just making a suggestion, what if to be able to sign up, you set it so people can't sign up with free email address's, eg. hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc. Another forum i'm on does this (50,000 members) and we never have any of this spam. I mean people get email address's with the internet package anyway, so everyone has one. Eventually it would cut this crap out...

Anyway, just a thought.

Jase,

Just making a suggestion, what if to be able to sign up, you set it so people can't sign up with free email address's, eg. hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc. Another forum i'm on does this (50,000 members) and we never have any of this spam. I mean people get email address's with the internet package anyway, so everyone has one. Eventually it would cut this crap out...

Anyway, just a thought.

Brenton, I think this may already be the case. A friend of mine, Peter Brierley, was a member of this site, virtuall from it's beginning, he disn't use it for a period. When he tried his old password / user name, etc, it wouldn't work, and he told me by 'phone that he was prevented from rejoining because he uses one of those 'free' e-Mails.

i just got one as well, how does this get through to a private email ?

Probably because you have ticked the box to send you an email if you get a pm...Just un tick that box if you don't want that to happen...

Maybe we need to invest in a 'captcha' sort of system where you have to type the letters and numbers that you see on the screen before you can post or send a message.
this stops the computer spambots in their tracks.

Maybe we need to invest in a 'captcha' sort of system where you have to type the letters and numbers that you see on the screen before you can post or send a message.
this stops the computer spambots in their tracks.

The site already has reCAPTCHA installed. Stops bots signing up, but once they are signed up they can go for their life.

Unfortunately these things happen from time to time. Currently looking at a solution where only members with a certain number of posts may use the PM system. Should eliminate most of this sort of rubbish.

I've just implemented the system where users must have a minimum post count before being able to PM. Should help eliminate these issues. Please let Jase know if you continue to receive PM spam.

Back
Top Bottom