Tax Office - refund scam

9 May 2008

An email fraudulently claiming to be from the Tax Office is currently circulating. The email claims to offer a tax refund and asks people for personal and credit card details.

It is similar to previous scams and uses the Tax Office logo and the words ‘Notification — Please read’ or ‘Australian Taxation Office – Please Read This’ in the subject line. There may also be more variations to these subject headings.

The email asks people to click on a link which redirects them to a bogus website that looks similar to the Tax Office website and asks for credit card and personal details.

The Tax Office will never send people an email asking them to provide personal information including credit card details. Acting Second Commissioner Bill Gibson said anyone who receives the email should delete it immediately.

“People should be wary of unsolicited emails claiming to be from the Tax Office. “As an extra precaution we recommend you type internet addresses directly into your internet browser rather than clicking on hyperlinks embedded in emails,” Mr Gibson said.

If people have entered their credit card information on the website, they should report it to their credit card provider as soon as possible.

It'd have to be a hoax.

When would those arse-clowns ever give any money back :surrender:

Sooner or later people will start taking notice of the common sense advice others give them and none of this would be an issue. How many times do TV stations etc have to run this sort of thing and tell people what not to do? There is not much they can do about continued stupidity by some people.

If you are not expecting an email or it is from someone you are not 100% sure about then just don't open it and definitely do not click on any links etc in the email. Delete the email or phone them first and confirm it.

All it takes is common sense.

Would have to be an absolute idiot to fall for that one.

Deserve to be scammed for being so stupid.

The other thing it does is create a heap of spam from people forwarding it to others, the same as the ever-popular "worst virus ever, no cure" email.

Best thing to do is hit delete and forget it ever came. No point forwarding it to people.

so what ... does that mean I won't be getting the refund they said they'd give me?!?! I followed their rules and submitted my creit card details, Geez!!!

Typical bloody goverment!!!!!

;-)

Whats wrong with spam, spam is all the email some of us get :)

I've won the lottery twice this weeks, and some Saudi Oil Baron is my long lost cousins nephews pet canaries room mate, and wants to leave me money. See the world is a happy place :)

The other thing it does is create a heap of spam from people forwarding it to others, the same as the ever-popular "worst virus ever, no cure" email.
Best thing to do is hit delete and forget it ever came. No point forwarding it to people.

Oh that email!!! I just received it in my inbox, just wait a sec I'll see what happens if I ope..............................................

Back
Top Bottom