Travelling

StrikerMatt

Hey guys
Its time for me getting a life to travel around the country for the tournaments during next year.

I recently signed up for the silver concession membership valued at $59.75 for 2011. I also emailed our travel agent at Ashmore but she has not replied to me for a week or more. Wonder is she still our travel agent (Lorraine McLoughlin?).

Anyways, i have first national event at Werribee for Youth Cup in January, since i am not 21 years old to able to hire a car. However how to get from airport to Werribee? I looked on Metrorail and it took 2hours to get there compared 30minutes on the road!! First of all ill be flying with Virgin Blue (as sponsor of my membership for the excess baggage) from Ballina to Sydney and then to MEL. I can figure out the motel to stay near the centre anyways, does it have a cheap rates due to my membership?

Another event is being in national deaf champions at Hobart in Easter representating for Qld team. This is another huge event for me too. Since i joined the deaf tenpin association membership, they gave us cheap motel rates for the special event. Flights is an issue, since VB does not direction from Syd to Hobart? It appears have multi city flights. At the time ill be in Townsville, it only have Jetstar as direct flight but they probably not letting us to have excess baggage at all!

After this one i have Australiansian games in Darwin, another Youth event like of Werribee in May. Another multi city flight issues for again. It show Townsville to Cairns, Cairns to Darwin or Townsville to Brisbane and Brisbane to Darwin. I am a little pressured about this travel plans because the flights are not very accessible to those events!

Please help me out for this issue asap!
(NB: I have to pay $100 right before 3/12/10 for the Youth event in Werribee!)
Cheers Matt

Try again with your email, it should get through.

My understanding is that the cost of bowlingball travel to the allowable kilos is $50 per sector (airport to airport), so you are looking at $200.

I hope this helps

$200 for excess?! That cant be right, it said in silver membership that is $50 per flight.

Matt that is what GBS means.

$50 for each flight
ballina to syd
syd to mel
Mel to syd
syd to ballina

$200

someone correcte if I'm wrong?

Hi Mathew

The fare for travelling Ballina to Melbourne via Sydney on the 7th, departing 3.05pm and returning on the 10th departing 10.15am, would cost you

$420:00. To be added to that is our fee of $5:00 plus the cost for an additional 22kg of luggage being $100:00, so the total cost would be $525:00 for flights.

This gives you a total of 45kg.

Regarding car hire, the companies we use will not allow anybody under 21 to hire a car.

We can book accommodation in Werribee but the only one listed is a Sofitel and extremely expensive. May I suggest that you contact Werribee Bowl and get some advice from them. It would probably be cheaper to stay back in Altona and drive to the bowl.

Bye for now

Lorraine

Its $100 because the route of Virgin Blue from Ballina to MEL via Sydney is one. This mean it is same route between them hence the cost is halved. Link to the VB website

Anyone have any idea of cheap accommodation to stay for 3 nights?
What about transport? Since that she told me i cant drive because im 19.

EDIT
Hi GeorgeF, i just looked at Jetstar: http://book.jetstar.com/Select.aspx
It is absoutely cheap but direct flights! As low of $79 per way compared to VB! Not sure if i get excess baggage like she said above in quote?

$200 for excess?! That cant be right, it said in silver membership that is $50 per flight.

Yep, per flight (per sector) = $200

Hi guys,
Matt you are right, it is not $50 EACH time if you have a connecting flight, it is $50 each journey, in other words $50 from Ballina to Melbourne, via Sydney. Then $50 return, total $100. As long as flights are booked together through Lorraine, not seperately.
Cheers,
Ash Riley

Matt,

Fly out of the Gold Coast and freight your balls, it will work out way cheaper.

I"m sure someone on here can help with some freight forwarding companies.

G

I agree with George. Definately go from Coolie and freight gear to Melbourne.

I would recommend contacting Toll, and a couple independants, Fastway are very good and affordable but no so great on weighty stuff. This will be your cheapest option for sure.

Good luck!

Frieghting my gear? Why, it takes long time for the truck to travel from Ballina to Melbourne than the flight!?

I might have 2nd ball soon sometime when i get back home next week.

Frieghting my gear? Why, it takes long time for the truck to travel from Ballina to Melbourne than the flight!?

I might have 2nd ball soon sometime when i get back home next week.

Actually is anyone going there too? It would be cheaper and easier to share accommodation and meet at the airport??

Matt,
You get 23 kg with your ticket, so you should be able to stay under the weight limit with just one 12lb (5.5kg) ball to take with you.

Hi Matt,
l have flown many times this year and taken 4x15lb balls. Virgin Blue have a 5kg sporting allowance on top of the 23kg already allowed. If you get an Ebonite 4 ball travel bag (l purchased a cheap sturdy sports bag and pack balls into 4 individual boxes) you can just scrape in with about 28.5kg. If you go over by 1 kg you will likely get charged $10pr kg. I have done this all year to many different states. Only gone over once when l used 2 separate tote bags, hope this helps. Paul.

Hmm thanks for an idea. I will have 2 balls by the time. Should be fine for three-four days trip.
I probably have to become member of either Virgin Blue or Jetstar because it may be common flight service i will be using. Cooly to Melb is cheaper!

Matt
using the 5kg allowance... Animal takes 2x 2 ball totes (with 14lb balls) as checkin luggage = 28kg either with Qantas or Virgin blue when he flys to tournaments
you are only taking 2 balls?? so that leaves you approx 14kg for clothing and personal stuff PLUS you are allowed 1 bag upto 7kg as carry on luggage
Just make sure that when you check in that you state that you have sporting equiptment and you will get the 5kg allowance with your 23kg limit

cheers
Carol

Back
Top Bottom