To smoke or not to smoke???

J

jstroh

OK, I am very new to all this and have spent most of today reading all the forums and have found them very informative and well as interesting. I only began tournament bowling in December 2001 and I now am really hooked.

Now, I have some questions and the first one is about the non-smoking rule.

It was my understanding that whilst competing in Tournaments under TBA ruling, no smoking was allowed during competition.

Whilst competing in the B Grade Ladies Christmas Tournament, I was informed no smoking until completion of the finals. This I found very tough going as it was my first competition. Whilst bowling the rounds was not a problem, I felt very negative when I had to sit around for about an hour and half whilst waiting to compete in the finals.

This again happened the following week during the A Grade.

I was lucky enough to compete in the Country Cup at Woodville and to my amazement, when bowlers were not required on the lanes, they were smoking. Isn't Country Cup governed by the same rules?

Whilst I totally agree that during the actual game, there should be no smoking, I am a little confused as to what the guideline is and how it applies.

Now whilst bowling at the Walter de Veere, the ruling of no smoking was applied and whilst there was not a great amount of time anyway, I am unsure of the difference between the tournaments.

I hope someone can give me clear direction on this as so far every avenue has been a dead end.

Julia, I think you may have to make a choice between cigarettes and tournaments. The higher up the tournament ladder you climb, the fitter you will need to be.
Some tourneys require you to bowl over a dozen games a day, and in singles format that is fairly demanding.
This may not be a serious answer to your question, but anyone struggling with the non-smoking rules can't be that serious about their bowling.

Julia, a serious answer. I find it strange that they made bowlers wait until the end of the finals before you could smoke. Most tournaments require you not to smoke while you are bowling your squad and once that is finished then it is up to you what you do. This is fair enough, but while you are not bowling and others are bowling their squad they should not be able to stop you, after all they cant stop you from leaving the centre to go for a walk or even to go home if you live close by. Unless it states on the entry form that no bowler may leave the centre until the end of the finals then they did not have a leg to stand on.

P.S. I also smoke and I have no problem not smoking when it says that I cant smoke while bowling my squad,and as to anyone saying that smokers dont take their bowling seriously then the same can be said of those who go out the night before a Tournie and write themselves off (how bright is that?).

Thanks Sandi, for a response. This has been a question amongst a lot of bowlers in the leagues that I used to bowl in. And yes, I have been told during one tournament when I had to wait to go for a 'drive'. It was not my intention to raise a great debate but it has been one area I have never been clear enough on to say much at the time of the tournament. Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Julia

icon_smile.gif
icon_razz.gif

Andrew, I think you may have misinterpreted the aim of my question. I do not have a problem with no smoking, in fact I have been in the situation where I have had to bowl 16 games consecutively and feel that like most smokers when you are doing something you enjoy,it is neither here nor there.

To me personally, it is a social activity which I put in the same classification as drinking. But we need to accept that there are still many smokers within this sport.

My point is the INCONSISTENCY in the application of the ruling!

No, it was not a serious answer to my question and I really don't like the implication that I do not take my bowling seriously. Anyone who knows me, knows that since I began tourneys last December, everything else in life has taken a back seat and my performances have proved this.

Cheers, Julia

Hi Julia...

you will probably find at DeVeer that the centre will be non smoking during the course of the competitions (usually, anyway), and that when not bowling, the smokers will congregate at the front (side, smoking room) of the centre to have a puff if they need it. Your team manager and coaches will probably have more specific instructions as to whether you are able to pop out for a ciggy, whilst you are not required on the lanes, but most of the smokers manage to get away for a quick puff!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif

Bronni

Thanks Bronni,

To be honest it wasn't realy an issue as far as me smoking, just the confusion as to whether a person could or not. For me as off next Thursday I hope to be one of those "healthy' people who don't smoke!
(with the help of patches)

Cheers
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif

Julia, each tournament will have it's own rules based on who is running the show! During De Veer, the Head Honcho's of the TBA will watch over you with an iron fist to ensure you don't light up and sneak a puff.

Centre based tournaments, such as your B Grade and A Grade Christmas tournament would be subject to the tournament director's discretion.

Whilst the TBA Rule Book is printed, some peole do not know how to read it and therefore make up the rules as they go!

Sorry if you have no more clearer vision into a solution for your "to smoke or not to smoke" problem, but this is the plain facts baby!

i have bowled sa country cup and the rules on somking are the same as rachuig. if you are not in the line up then you can go outside to smoke if you have to, the other tournaments you bowl in such as masters etc allow you to smoke once you have finished competing, if you are in the winners bracket and have to sit out for one or two rounds then you are still considered to be competing.

Back
Top Bottom