Gee I hate school hilidays

rum

School holidays - I walk in to my league centre of choice to be greeted with head banging music, flashing lights, staff that know NOTHING about bowling, crap from one end of the Concourse to the other, the players area that had not been cleaned all day, a filthy dirty approach and lanes that were dressed early that morning. Plus the Cafe were cooking deep fried crap without the exhaust fans on. Went to look for staff during the evening - found then outside having a smoke.
AND LEAGUE BOWLERS ARE EXPECTED TO PAY TOP $$$$ AND RETURN WEEK AFTER WEEK. - The golf clubs look better each week

Another Major Fiasco in business management.

true but the way they look at it...

2 games from a social bowler is what about $22??
and the social bowler will buy the food

2 games from a league bowler is worth how much? maybe $10?
and the league bowler wont buy the food.

Without those dreaded social bowlers you'd be paying $9 a game for your league just to keep the doors open.
Maybe you should think about *that* next school holidays.

It does not matter, social or league, there really is no excuse for a centre to not provide a clean playing area. Social bowlers may pay premium prices for their once a year outing but the league bowler will pay upwards of $1,000 dollars a year just for 1 league.

For my $1,000 a year I expect the players area to be clean and the approach to free of chips, coke and gum, regardless of it being school holidays or not.

Steve J

Without those dreaded social bowlers you'd be paying $9 a game for your league just to keep the doors open.
Maybe you should think about *that* next school holidays.

Agree, having been on both sides of the fence. Actually, 3 sides of the fence!! League Bowler, - Tech, and Asst. Mgr of a BCH ( AMF ) Centre, and proprietor of an independant Centre - and now back to a social / league bowler - That's 4 sides of the fence.

That's not to say that I don't hate walking into the centre in darkness, plus flashing lights / loud music, etc.
BUT, I'm happy that the centre is getting a financial boost. That way it might still be here next year, and maybe the one after, and I and other league bowlers won't have to bear all the costs of keeping it there.

It's only a limited time a few times every year. Bear with it.

Ever noticed prices of accomodation in holiday periods? Same reasons.

No business ever did it's customers any lasting favour by not making a decent profit.

For my $1,000 a year I expect the players area to be clean and the approach to free of chips, coke and gum, regardless of it being school holidays or not.

Steve J

Don't forget the public liability and OH&S requirements..

A strong league base is the cornerstone of any successful centre. It evens out the troughs between those wonderful peaks. While social bowlers are a desirable and profitable part of the business equation, Steve makes a very valid point that I second. I spend more at my league house than any social bowler, or family will, every year. I also eat there regularly.

I just avoid the joint in school holidays. It's simply unpleasant to be around. I recommend most folks do the same. You'll come back fresher for a couple of weeks off.

What I get annoyed about is when they only oil one lane on my "pair" for league that night. (As happened last night.) It was freakin' redunculous. To their credit, the staff at Tuggeranong had freshly mopped the floors before we went on. I appreciated that.

As for the food argument, I was hungry last night, but wouldn't throw good money after bad last night and ate when I got home.

The league base seems to be diminishing each month there. I guess I'm not the only one questioning my decision to turn up each week.

At least you get the choice to stay away during school holidays!!
Some of us have to turn up and bask in the joy of 500 screaming kids for 8 hours!
I honestly thought the machines were the loudest part of the job till my first winter school holidays....

I relish the clock striking 5pm when I can turn the lights on, the music down and make the place nice and clean for my league bowlers. It's amazing how much fustration you get out with a mop...

100% on the money Steve

You can have all the fun in the world

But then it's time to clean it up

I guess that's why people vote with their feet

I heard an intersting live comment the other day from a proprietor of 32 years who had just purchased his third center. He said ..

"My new center has 50% leagues and 50% walk ins, I knew I could not survive."

"So I implemented change to my new center, grew my leagues and now my staff have a guaranteed job to come to everyday. I gave them a pay rise everytime we formed a new league and everytime we lost bowlers ... well."

Hint .. it was not in this country.

at my local bowl for a family of 2 adults & 2 childern just for 1 game of bowling is around $30 then food can cost about the same. so there is $60 for 1 game

Some of us have to turn up and bask in the joy of 500 screaming kids for 8 hours!
I honestly thought the machines were the loudest part of the job till my first winter school holidays....

I relish the clock striking 5pm when I can turn the lights on, the music down and make the place nice and clean for my league bowlers. It's amazing how much fustration you get out with a mop...

Oh Luke... I feel for you. Keep the muffs on as much as possible mate! It would be really interesting to take some noise measurements up the front end as well. I remember offending a "manager" (in title only, I can assure you...) once when I told him he was undoubtedly exposing his staff to hazardous levels of noise and that WorkCover should be called in. By my guess it was up there with my brush cutter at 90-100Db on full throttle and the speakers were wall-mounted behind the control counter! Needless to say he never did anything about it and undoubtedly ran the darkest, noisiest and singly dirtiest bowling centre I've ever had the displeasure to visit.

For the most part I've grown to hate kids, and try to stay as far away from them as possible. That's why I don't bowl on Saturdays if I have to work. I prefer bowling Saturday mornings before the little darlings get there. The ally opens at 10:00 and when I leave around 12:00 - 12:30 they're just starting to show up for there birthday parties and crap. As far as cosmic goes, I try never to be there for that. That's why I love bowling leagues, you get 3 games with the lights on, good composition, and lane courtesy.

Talk to the Centre about not bowling your leagues in School Holidays
That will sharpen their focus

I agree with you I hate it as well, It is also a nightmare for the staff
and When It rains at the same time , OMG !!!!! X 3 of all the above

When I owned my Centre I loved the Income but it was a hige
drama for all the leagues and staff, I wanted to hide, haha

Going away with a team on Sunday, and was looking for an old single ball bag to take another ball. Couldn't find it, thought it might have been in Ballina's pro shop. Just back from the Bowl. Difficult to get in the door. Fought my way to pro shop door (which wasn't locked ) Didn't find bag, too hard to get to the counter to ask Cameron abt bag.
Staff looked a bit harrased, but - - I thought it was bloody marvellous !!! I know how hard it is to make a quid in a small local centre. Think of all the quiet times, when all the light are on, the staff is there, and almost nobody comes for hours.
The bowl is still there for your league, though.

That's because they also have high times - like school hollidays. Get with it people.

I actually enjoyed bowling after the kids had gone home...

I got to move my feet 3 boards :p

Haa 500 try 5000 every day from 9 am till midnight. No break, just constant. I need a holiday after every holiday lol

Back
Top Bottom