The TBA of today!!!!!

BELMO

Gillian and the board:

Something I have come to realize is that the current CEO and attitude of the board towards bowlings current members and future members is a breath of fresh air.

I have spoken to Gillian today and asked a few questions about current matters and future matters of where TBA is heading.

Im impressed. Gillian is a tough girl, says what she feels and honestly left her ears wide open for both criticism and compliments i had for her.

Question 1 I had for our CEO.

"what was the reasoning behind the funding given to coaches and managers to represent national teams and not the players??"

Her answer....

Gillian has been apart and spoken with many other sporting organisation, in her experience she has always seen the coaching and managerial staff as a very important role when traveling and in each organisation these people have had all expenses paid for. When i asked her is that because the players too are given a free ride, her response was that in many other sports with equestrian being the example, students have been asked to pay anywhere from $15000 to go.
I then told her that bowling is much different to every other sport, how could she make a decision about something she knew nothing about??
Gillian then told me that every decision that TBA makes is not a decision made by only her.
The board and the CEO research and ask people in current positions with in bowling how it worked in the past.
The advice she and the board were given, using her past experiences and that of other sporting groups TBA did what they thought was right. TBA did not know this would be felt so hard by the players.

She went on to say that funding from the government is very limited and she believes that much of that funding should and will be used to build the sport nationally rather on teams that go away.
She did also say that sending teams at the highest level away is very important, hence the reason the world youth and adult mens are 2 teams she has committed a small portion of that funding.

I told her that i understand where she was coming from but i still did not agree with the TBA ruling on this matter. I told her that i felt is was very unfair and that each person on the team is of equal value.

She went on to say that she will be the first to put her hand up and say that she was wrong when she feels she is. In this case she said that TBA have got it wrong and would never of went that route knowing what she knows now.

"this is a lesson learnt, something i will make sure i deal with regarding future teams" our CEO said.

When i asked her would this change the ruling on the current youth team, she explained that now that it is released, all she do is talk about it with those who it will affect when the team is announced.

I asked her where the figure of $6500 came from?

She explained that it was a over estaminet and that figure would be the worst case scenario. She is and will be using all her resources to lower that cost as much as possible.
She asked me that if I could get the price down to $3000, like I stated in a earlier post on total bowling, she would happily take my suggestion and use it. Unfortunately i was over exaggerating the saving I could come up with and I told her that I was sorry for explaining to Totalbowling readers that the cost TBA were estimating was a figure purly to rip off the kids. This is not the fact at all!

Question 2:

"What plan does TBA have to build it's membership"

Her response.

She stated that this of all things will be the toughest challenge TBA will face. TBA's plan is to have a high performance level 2 coach in each state around the nation who will go and teach not only people who want to become better coaches but to help staff members around the country understand the very basics of bowling.
She believes (and i agree) the knowledge of many staff members about bowling is very limited, educating the younger staff members or those who are not bowlers themselves about the simple side of bowling may help with attracting new members.
How i asked??

Well if a family came bowling and the staff member saw that members of that family were taking a keen interest in the sport some simple coaching and useful knowledge about the game may excite the 'possible new member' into coming back to learn more and to progress in skill level.

Perhaps by offering a hand to get better would eventuate into signing this new bowler as a member.
I couldnt of agreed more!

She went on to say that not only do staff need educating but so do the public. There were only a few bowling centres Gillian had walked into that had any infomation about the competitve side to bowling.
Almost every bowling centre had brochures about birthday parties, corporate functions and school holiday deals, but where was the infomation about the "sport" of bowling.

This is something that will change if she can get the help of the ABPA.

It's essential that the public understands that the elite side of bowling exists, the more people that know about competition bowling the more people we can target to join our membership base.
League is an old and boring word to explain competition bowling. Gillian wants the word league changed to 'competition play'. An idea the USBC is thinking of doing, an idea i have actually said to my parents early this year, an idea i think will help in attracting new bowlers.

Of course this is not the only plan TBA has but out of the 45 min phone call with her, I could not lead into any more discussion.
I have called Gillian a handful of times and each time i have called i get answers and I get a clear and precise path of where she feels TBA need to go.
I had lost much respect for TBA in the past, but for a change I'm happy to be a member and I feel that the current CEO will actually do something to help build TBA rather than slow its eventual demise.

TBA is by far not perfect, but with the current CEO at the helm, i believe in the years ahead it will grow stronger and stronger and along the way we the members will be the ones benefitting.

Jason Belmonte

ps- The conversation i had with Gillian was not taped, i could only try and quote her as well as i could from memory, so please if i have written something and it may not read the way my head read it, blame me, not her!

Cheers

Nice read Belmo - hopefully Gillian will be able to bring this sport back to where it should be. Its good to see she is willing to listen.

I suppose only time will tell.

It is good to hear Gillian is willing to listen.

I am currently awaiting a response to a proposal regarding tournaments at a state and national level as per a previous topic, and a CEO with an open ear will impliment better strategies than one with a closed ear....

Thanks for the update Jase.

I must admit that I had a good read of the TBA website today, and found it quite refreshing to find the agenda and various reports that are to be tendered at the AGM ready for the bowling public to read NOW!

We look forward to the coming months to see the morph of the old TBA into something a little bit more exciting and user friendly.....;)

Great post Belmo

I had reason to email Gillian on Saturday night voicing my concerns with the current situations within the Youth Team roll off and cost. To my surprise i got a reply from Gillian within 10 minutes and to say the least i was surprised. We emailed back and forward regarding the funding issue and like Belmo i was impressed with her willingness to tackle the issues head on.

I feel moving forward we may actually get somewhere.

I would like to thank Jason for his personal effort in contacting the TBA. Its good to know that the highest profile bowler in the land is prepared to stand his ground and ask the hard questions of the TBA. Hopefully, and i dont think so it hasnt fallen on deaf ears

Phil

I got a chance to speak to Gillian myself down at the Junior Natioanls, and I could not be happier at how incredibly enthusiastic and determined she was in answering the questions I had to ask. Everything she said was followed by a friendly smile and she asked me if I was happy with what was discussed after we had finished speaking, to which I can say...Very much so!!! :)

It's great to see members like Gillian doing such a great job in so many aspects and areas of our sport, and I also would like to praise other TBA members like John Coxon for the help and advice they have given me in the past. I'm very glad to see that you're all doing a great job to get our sport to where we want it to be. Keep up the great work! :)

Hooroo

Rowey :p

Gillian is great
She is so encouraging of Juniors Its Awesome
She loves Victorians to because she is from here:p

Call me scepticle but I've heard it all before, except now its going to cost $5000 to represent your country instead of maybe $1000. Asian events and events of lesser importance I can understand the reduction of funding allocation but ADULT MENS WORLDS and WOMENS WORLDS? your killing me

On the current pathway, we will be sending maybe 2 bowlers to Mens Worlds this year which is a shame as we could have sent our strongest team in several years. How many National players are willing to pay $3000 or $5000 to go to Thailand???? Not many....

I agree with every other point Belmo and Gillian raised and there are endless other points that need to be addressed by TBA, but cutting funding at the highest level sends the wrong message to the up and coming bowlers of tomorrow. Bowlers who currently do not know how to make a National team now have the bonus of paying large amounts of money to wear the green and gold when and if they happen to make a team.

Yes elite bowlers represent less than 1% of the bowling community but as with any sport it is an essential part that we can't do without.

Thats all for now, time to catch the ferry to Santorini :D

For the average bowler, which is by far and away the majority, what benefits does the TBA actually offer? Better information flow to the existing membership of those benefitd via the centres would be a good start in improving the happiness of the vast majority of the membership.

Back
Top Bottom