The only way to win is to be sponsored?

Everyone else has pretty much said it all, They are sponsered because they work(ed) hard to get where they are, they are the best thats why they were sponsered in the first place.
Sure now they are sponsered they may have a slight advantage money is no longer an issue and they can stay upto date with the latest equiptment. But do you think they were always sponsered? no there was a time where todays sponsered bowlers were not sponsered and where competing against other bowlers that were sponsered...todays sponsered bowlers where once like us they were the underdogs that had the slight disadvantage, they didnt give up though they kept working ever so hard, made many sacrafices and became great bowlers that are now worthy of sponsorship.

My two bob worth.

Topher

these guys are the best in our country therefore that is why they are sponsored. But it is one hell of an advantage to be gettin free balls. Having the right equipment to match the lane is so important.

There is a downside to being a sponsored bowler. I was on Track staff in 2001 and while I had some very good results, in the main their equipment didn't match up with my game that well except on a couple of conditions.

If you don't match up well with your sponsored equipment, then you can find yourself at a fairly major DISadvantage. I match up much bvetter with Brunswick, always have, but I took up an opportunity with Track. did that decision cost me tournament wins? Most probably. This is not to say that Track equipment is bad, just that it didn't match up WITH MY GAME. I have seen some players of recent times that have been (and still are) poorly matched up with their sponsored brand.

Now I feel that I am better matched up using Brunswick equipment, however I still need to execute properly and make good strategic decisions. Failure to do so and it won't matter how well matched up I am.

i still recon it is bowler who throw the ball not the ball its self any brand will work for you its just a bowlnig ball but if any brand walked up to me and offered me a sponcership i would say 'where do i sign'.

Dark Assistant, if it was the bowler and not the ball then why have more than one ball? my brother and i always talk about how it the balls these days that are bowling well and not the bowler. Just look at what 13 year old kids are doing now, back 20 years ago with rubber balls, no one was averaging 220 plus all the time, and i wont even start with the amount of 300 games.
Any i think that different brands have different effects on peoples games, all have different designs, and different coverstocks, so i think theres a big difference.
Im not taking away anything from anyone, sponsored bowlers are the best in Australia, thats why they win.
Anyways, just my thoughts

Stuart Little said:
Just look at what 13 year old kids are doing now, back 20 years ago with rubber balls, no one was averaging 220 plus all the time, and i wont even start with the amount of 300 games.

It's not just the balls, it's a combination of things.

Having the right ball for the condition at hand certainly does help, but the biggest reason for the high scores??? You can legally block a lane. It helps when you have 3 boards to aim at... Especially when each board has an arrow on it!

The correct balls, as I said before, do help, but aren't essential.

androooo said:
It's not just the balls, it's a combination of things.

Having the right ball for the condition at hand certainly does help, but the biggest reason for the high scores??? You can legally block a lane. It helps when you have 3 boards to aim at... Especially when each board has an arrow on it!

The correct balls, as I said before, do help, but aren't essential.

I think that all that needs to be done with the game is add some weight to the pins, drop the height of the gutters and put some oil on the outside boards.

It isn't that hard.

People bitch that crankers get a little more area, where as I always thought adding revs (ranging from 1-25 depending on the condition) is a skill, and those that are more skillful deserve to score more the majority of the time.

People are never happy (probably myself included). They complain when the scores are too high, and they complain when the scores are too low due to harder lane conditions. Just be happy to play the game.

Money also plays a big part. Some people have the will, but not the cash to Practice. Bowling can be a costly sport and those costs are getting higher.

I've always been lead to believe that it is the bowler that has the potential, the skill, the dedication..

That a good bowler should be able to make the correct adjustments to be able to find a suitable shot on any condition..

That's a good bowler. Imagine what a great bowler should be able to do.. Now imagine the best..

Different bowling balls may help, but put urself in the position of lets say Mr. Belmonte for a sec. In reality I dont know how many balls he receives but from what I see, he tries all the new balls that Storm releases and he doesnt seem to have any for very long.
So in the time that Belmo has to receive the new ball, have it drilled, try it out, make any necessary adjustments, then actually get used to what it does, how and when.. he has a new ball on his hands that he has to repeat the process with.

I see this as a disadvantage. Who can honestly say that within 2weeks of having new gear they have figured it out to the smallest detail and knows it like the back of their hand? Not many..

Make the best of what you have and focus on perfecting the essentials: ie. accuracy, consistancy.

Jason Belmonte, George F, Jason Walsh, Jarrod Lean, all started somewhere to become what they are, they were not the best from the start but had to earn it.

Alicia

Back
Top Bottom