The Lesson is Always the Same

John_Velo

Hi All,

I sit back after every event and evaluate how I went, looking at how to improve and start planning for the next event. Basically looking at the performance I put up, evaluating the reason for not reaching my goals for the event.

So, with that said, Bathurst Pit Stop has come and gone, I have been there twice now, great event and for any League Bowler like myself, I highly recommend this event as a great step up test, family run event and the locals rally around and make it a great event. The pattern is fair and rewards good ball speed and control. Some bowlers can overpower the pattern a little but those with good speed control make it look easy.

Looking at the top three, Shaun bowling up the edge, just letting the ball roll with a nice soft shot, scored a ton, Andrew was 10 to 15 board left of Shaun and with good speed and rotation, nearly no muscle in his shot, he held the pocket all event. Robbie was in the middle of the other two and appeared to have a little more forward roll than Andrew, Robbie just stayed clean. Never really going big but staying in play the whole event. The top guys where at the top because of their control, they really let the ball do its thing and did not force their shots.

What did I learn from the top three,

1: Speed control is critical, force your shot and the pin carry dropped away leaving corner pins, which leads to point two.

2: Spare shooting is a must you can’t miss a spare in these event and expect to make the cut.

I don’t recall having more than two games over the weekend that did not have an open frame. End result was bad blocks when you need an even block.

This very point looking back was a real motivational killer, +200 for 12 games, -200 for four games, end result, even for the weekend. 150 pins short of the match play which is the goal for every event.

It also showed that I did not need a power game, if you stayed clean. I am the typical soft shot house bowler, not many revs, keep the pocket in play for the most of the time. But leaving pins on the deck after the second ball, what a fun sapping exercise that is.

Looking at the positive, I played an area of the lane that I rarely play. So that was good. I hit the pocket a lot, I don’t recall crossing over more than once and I kept the ball in play. Pretty happy over all with the first ball of every frame. Can’t say the same about the second ball.

Back to the lanes again this week to work on those two item. Speed control and spare shooting. You never stop learning and the lesson always appears to be the same.

Thanks for reading.

I think everyone can benefit from spare practice, John.

Also; +200 for 12; that's a damn good effort. Dont beat yourself up over spares; everyone misses them, you just need to practice missing them less ;)

Good write up.

Interesting read John and right on the money.

Random question without notice... Can centres set the pin spotters up to set down certain spares to aid with practice? Further to that can the machines put down random spares ie a 3 6 10 followed by a bucket then a 10 pin etc etc?

They certainly can. Aspley Bowl in Brisbane's North has machines which can do this from the ball return ;)

Thanks Guys,

My weekend routine this last few weeks has been to bowl 8 practice games every Saturday. Throw the plastic at the pin I want to hit with my first shot, then spare whats ever is left.

After a few weeks of doing this the spare shooting is better but still alway to go.

John,
I might be the worst person to be commenting, so feel free to ignore the following.

If after several weeks of practicing as you have stated, plus
1: Speed control is critical, force your shot and the pin carry dropped away leaving corner pins,

Just bowling to hit a pin does not necessarily help much to improve accuracy in spare shooting, because a ball width either side of a pin gives an area approx 20 inches wide in which to still hit any pin near the middle of the lane .
If you were to bowl alternate shots attempting to take out only a single 7 pin and then 10 pin, that would mean you would be practicing the pins which you stated were the ones you were leaving when not controlling your speed. A gutter ball or hitting several pins will readily show causes where the variation in speed/control exists . Additionally, by bowling across a house pattern at the greatest angle, you take away possible assistance gained from a pattern and increase the need to control the speed when aiming at a narrow point in each corner of the lane.
You could count the number of successful single pins hit out of 160 attempts (8 games) to gauge improvements in your accuracy week to week.
If you can place a ball accurately in either corner of a pindeck, every other spare scenario should improve as well, including when attempting to glance a pin to convert splits.
As I said, probably the worst person to be suggesting.

Thanks for sharing your original post , appreciated.

Roy,

Any centre with brunswick gs-series pinsetters can do it

Not technically true - GS 98's & lower need to have upgraded firmware to do this. I'm fairly sure the feature comes standard with GS-X on nex gen electronics though.

I wish I could have made it to this event, definitely going next year!

If you were to bowl alternate shots attempting to take out only a single 7 pin and then 10 pin, that would mean you would be practicing the pins which you stated were the ones you were leaving when not controlling your speed

The circuit drill is one that I do, and I find quite good as a struggling spare shooter sometimes, take 10 pin without hitting 3 pin, next shot 7 pin without hitting the 2 pin, 3 pin without hitting head pin, 2 pin without hitting head pin then shoot pocket, if you fail at any of these you haveto start from the beginning

Hey Lyndsay,

That is pretty much the routiune i have been going through. I have seen an improvement, but there is still along way to go.

Fair enough. Although I dont agree hitting the 2 pin without taking head pin is a good habit for a right hander.

Not technically true - GS 98's & lower need to have upgraded firmware to do this. I'm fairly sure the feature comes standard with GS-X on nex gen electronics though!

Oops my my bad,
The 92's, 96's and 98's i worked on must've already had the chips changed when they were installed.. And yes, gs-x's come that way out of the crate

Try just without pins picking up the ten and seven, do it twenty times each, don't leave until you complete then in a row. Then practice with pins but focus on hitting your target and your approach, you need to be solid at the foul line at all times. I don't like spare balls, don't believe you should need them especially for any sleeper spare just try adjusting your release and this will improve your confidence at making adjustments. Don't score or concern yourself with carry because once you stop worrying about carry they seem to fall over.
Love your posts, your so genuine...

Insightful as always John.

Right on the money for me. When I am bowling well on any condition it is never about the release, angle. It's always spare shooting and consistent ball speed.

I think ball speed is an often forgotten part of a lot of bowlers games. I know when I started, it was all about rev rate, big angles and spares and what killed my game was fatigue and inconsistent ball speeds which led to a lot of splits, poor shots and inconsistent scores.

Back
Top Bottom