Learn the lesson of the moment

John_Velo

G’Day all,

I have not done this in 2012 from memory, so here I go. 15 odd minutes to put down in writing what I learnt this weekend at the Orange Open. I hope some of the League Hacks like myself will get something out of this that will help and encourage them.

The Orange Open was my second event ever and first tournament for the year. Yes, I bowled in the NSW Championships down home, but don’t class that as a put your money where it counts event if you like.

At 46 I am no spring chicken and understand my physical limits, but I am not too old to learn, listen and improve.

So here I go,

First thing I learnt is everybody will have a bad game and not to get down on that game that should have been better. Watch your shot shape and move a little if needed. I made a large mistake in my last game, I moved right instead of left in the last game and missed the final cut. I watched the guys on the pair before me, a 300 was bowled by Nathan Jenner, all flush and sweat across 15 board. It was a really pretty game. He gave the shot direction loud and clear, I did not follow the lead until too late in the game. Watching the bowlers on the lanes you are going to next is critical.

Every spare counts, whether you are a junior or an old guy like me, they all count. Practice your spares, in the last few months I have spent time working on my sparing, while still far from perfect, I am a lot better than I was this time last year.

If you start a game with open frames don’t give up on the game it can be saved. I had one game where I was 35 in the forth frame and made it to 190+.

Practice different releases when you can, nothing major, a little more rotation, a little more speed, etc etc. This helped me a lot this weekend. I threw a few practice games before the event and quickly learnt that my 14lb ball was going to leave a lot of ten pins at Orange. So, I spent five games practicing how to kick them out. That 45 minutes was great as I only left about 8 in the 16 games I bowled in the event.

Try some different surfaces to get it right. I made two changes and got a look that was better than one I turned up with.

Don’t use a Swiss Army knife to remove your thumb sleeve or fingers grips. Saturday night I made a change to a ball that I was hanging up in. Slipped and cut my main finger on my bowling hand to the bone just above the finger nail. Super glued it up and plastic skin to get it into the ball for Sunday morning.

It took me a few games Sunday, but don’t be overwhelmed by bowling with the best in the world. I was paired with Belmo for the first cut, also on the pair were MR George and Cow for the first game on Sunday. Nervous, yes, it took until the start of the third game to be able to focus on my own game. I spent more time concentrating on what they were doing than my own game. Always, always play your own game. I started with four in a row then tossed the ball in the gutter 40 foot down the lane. George followed up with one of his own, just to make me feel better I think. I did thank him for the human factor, I was beginning to think these guys were machines.

When you bowl with the best in the country remind yourself why they are the best. They have dedicated their lives to their craft. I bowl three games a week and will not throw the ball as sweat as they will, it’s just not possible to be that good without the time to dedicated to practice. So don’t be embarrassed by throwing an off shot. Just enjoy the pleasure and experience of watching the best do what they do up close. Listen to their comments and learn.

Finally, remember to have fun.

Thanks also to the wonderful hosts at Orange, the Belmonte’s put on a great event, it is an almost carnival like atmosphere and well worth the traffic jam in Katoomba to get there and back.

Thanks for reading.

Firstly your 46, you make me feel old. Great assessment your one of the only people that aren't afraid to admit their weakness's and because of that you will enjoy the game and improve. You have to be aware of yourself and know when it's you or the lanes but always remember it will probably be you most of the time but never let your own assessment reduce your confidence in your ability because you need that to play well - just be realistic, sometimes you make mistakes.

Sad about hacking your finger up and get that super glue off your hand pretty quickly. Another great post ....

G’Day all,

Practice different releases when you can, nothing major, a little more rotation, a little more speed, etc etc. This helped me a lot this weekend. I threw a few practice games before the event and quickly learnt that my 14lb ball was going to leave a lot of ten pins at Orange. So, I spent five games practicing how to kick them out. That 45 minutes was great as I only left about 8 in the 16 games I bowled in the event.

QUOTE]

This is interesting john. About game 4-5 on saturday i found myself throwing the ball harder and wider, giving me a good shot to the pocket but with carry a bit tough, a release change never really crossed my mind, i did change to weaker balls, including urethane, considering afterward i thought maybe i should have changed to something more aggressive, maybe next time a slight release change will cross my mind, thanks john

Thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, great atmosphere and management.

As John eluded to, there are many different types of release you can use to make the same ball do different things, especially kick the corners out. I've been working on this part of my game for the last couple of months. The trick is, once you're comfortable with different releases, is to know when to use them, and when NOT to use them...

Back
Top Bottom