"Is Straighter Greater?"

John_Velo

G’Day All,

Time for another ten minute thought.

I have been emailing Roysa about bowling and general chit chat, the conversation came up which is the topic for this thread.

“Is Straighter Greater?”

Now to expand on that thought, as a junior it was always, hit it harder and throw it faster and hook it as much as you can. Not to different to a lot of the younger bowlers I have seen in the last ten months of bowling again.

Back in the seventies the only person in the world that could do that successfully was Mark Roth. Everybody else that was successful where more of the “straighter is greater” model. Roll it up ten board and bowl at the pocket. Get the ball hooking in the last ten to fifteen feet and conserve all the energy you can fo down the lane.

Today’s game is dominated by better ball technology meaning that area bowling is good enough for scoring high games, winning every so often. But does it cut it week in week out.

In the last few months I have really tried to bowl straight at every spare and roll the ball at the pocket. Something that dad always preached and really proved to be the right way back in the seventies and really, today it is still very relevant.

Take a look at the true champions over the last 20 odd years in the U.S, who can go past the like of Norm Duke, Walter Ray for keeping the pocket in site as much as possible. But these guys also proved that they are versatile and can change their style to suit the requirements of the lane conditions laid before them. I know there are many many more like PDW, but he went a long time bowling at the pocket also.

So for now my thought pattern goes like this, and no, I still don’t do this well but it’s my game focus.

Goal number one is to move from Official League Hack (OFL) to THB.

What’s the difference, OFL’s will stand on the same spot and toss the ball at their spot if it works, great, if it does not there is always next week.

The THB will have a few targets to choose from but really they would be aiming at the one target always in league and moving a few boards either way to reach the pocket or have few other balls to pick up and try if that fails.

Goal number two would be to reach the Elite Tournament Bowler (ETB) Level, to me this is like obtaining a Black Belt in Martial Arts.

The Elite Tournament Bowlers (ETB), they have good revs, a great shot from multiple location on the lane to play with. They know when to flatten the shot, they know when to hit it the shot. Something I have spoken to dad a fair bit about over the last few months as he rarely changed his shot but played with his line and ball speed.

Late last years I meant Mr George, just general chit chat, he mentioned that he had a dozen odd different releases he would use from house to house depending on how the lanes are playing. I would expect that to be more in keeping his natural line to the pocket for his natural shot and making the rest fit his comfort zone.

How many times have you seen on the TV where one guy is hitting the ball as hard as they come, hooking the ball 15 boards. Only to have Duke bowl at the pocket and roll them by 50 pins on the same pair. Look at the hall of fame guys and they all did the same thing from one era to the next. Bowl at the pocket and keep the pocket in site.

I truly understand that some bowlers mechanics will dictate their game, but is “Straighter still Greater?”

Should we perfect subtle changes and keeping the pocket on line, move a little left and little right and learn ball speed and release. Is that the real secrete that the Elite Tournament Bowler’s don’t want the THB’s to know?

Is playing the “Straighter is Greater” shot and carrying 8 or more per shot a better game for the bowler wanting to progress from OFL to the end goal of ETB?

Thanks for reading.

Absolutely!

I was one of the younger bowlers who wanted to touch every board on the lanes, I wanted to be the guy who has more revs than any bowler. Sure, I bowled some great games and some great series.

But at that stage I would crumble at every tournament and never had any consistency at league or tournaments.

I had a some very good success overseas when I was on a working holiday in Canada. I changed my entire game while I was over there. Started throwing a much straighter shot, much less revs and a plastic at all spares.

I took a big break from bowling and now am just 2 weeks back and am throwing such a better ball. I am sure my average will be far higher than ever before long.

All because the bowlers I was playing with showed me how my aiming,revs, pretty much my entire game were letting me down.

In no way am i saying don't throw a big shot, or don't put alot on the ball.

But from my own experience I think alot of bowlers out there overestimate the power of high revs and under estimate the power of accuracy and simplicity.

There has been alot of great high rev bowlers and always will be, but to me when I look for bowlers to work to be like I watch guys like Parker Bohn, Norm Duke, Walter Ray, Mike Machuga.

John,

another good thread in the "10 minute" series.

I thought this one might get a lot more discussion actually as i thought it would be a hot topic being defended strongly by the big hookers (the bowling type) that straighter isnt greater. And that massive hooking balls are the way to high scoring... there is an argument for both i suppose as i have seen some messy splits that a straighty wouldnt leave.

Also exactly what determines which bracket you fall into?? Lets say for example, if you start and finish on the approach on the right hand side of the lane does that make you a straight bowler, with limited hook? Alternatively, if you start and finish on the left throwing it way out probably drops you into the hookers catagory.

My opinion is that it has more to do with how a person adapts to the condition, rather than what they percieve themselves to be before throwing a practise shot. No point throwing the same shot on different patterns, make adjustments along the way until you find a shot.

In answer to THE question... Im not sure if it is better but im leaning towards yes. Love to hear others thoughts.

Hey Roy,

My thought would be straight down the boards with a hook from 0-7 boards would be a straight bowler. On some conditions even ten boards could be classed as straight. It is relative to where the ball hooks and how. Aggressive snap is a hook bowler, gradual hook would also be more to the straight mind set I believe.

For me I like straighter as a single or double wood is a lot easier to spare than a Greek Church or 7-10. This is especially true for sports patterns. Bowl at the pocket and clean up anything that is left would be more enjoyable than bowling five baggers punctuated with un-sparable splits.

Further to that, straight does not mean zero revs, You know the shot I am talking about, hitting the pocket and leaving a cold five pin or 8-10 split generally means you were a little lazy on the shot.

As Toon was leading to, higher percentage shot has to be the way to go from centre to centre. Sure there aren’t as many messengers, but a strike is a strike. The highs may not be as high, but the lows will not be as low either.

Remember the U.S open this year, Mika straight up 260+ against 600 RPM 100 game. Even Belmo has a good straight game.

Straighter can most definitely be greater, at times, other times, not so great. Even taking in John's consideration of 0-7 boards hook being straight, if you are not accurate enough to consistently hit the same spot, then you will tend leave more splits. You watch people who throw big hooking shots, and they tend to be able to carry off less accuracy to the pocket, due to more power generated from the extra revs. Myself, i'm not really a big hooker of the ball generally, I prefer the straighter options most of the time, but sometimes, if the conditions allow, a bigger hooking shot is necessary. Can't hurt to have both shots in your arsenal...

I think the most successful bowlers around are the bowlers who place themselves in the middle of the accurate straight bowler and the the high rev power player like Michael Little. I think he has one of the best shots for todays conditions.

Hi John,

Another good topic. Yes, straighter is greater. There you have it from someone who hooks it as much as anyone. Although I qualify that statement with a little word on or near the end... "often." Straighter is often greater, especially on the fresh or on the left, where they play a lot fresher patterns and surfaces than the righties do. George likes to wind me up by saying "It's a different game over here." But he speaks the truth. (I don't take it personally, George likes winding everyone up..!) :)

When the backends are snappy and the heads float easily, then straighter is greater, as your ball will pop for you, providing you understand what good ball roll looks like and can make good ball choices and some minor adjustments with your hand. Later in the day, when the heads are burning up and you need to get inside though, you need the ball to hook some more to create angle to knock the corners out more consistently. This is where the greats like Duke and WRWJ come through. Nobody slow hooks it like Norm Duke. You don't get to see it on TV, as the lanes are relatively fresh, but he can hook the whole lane if need be. When you watch the late blocks on PBA Xtra Frame, you get to see a lot of "atypical" lines and releases from these guys. I've seen Machuga, Duke, WRW and Barnes get inside the 6th arrow and circle it in order to hold the pocket. And 2 days later, they're on the TV show, where the pattern is an hour old, piping it straight up the boards to the spot they've burned with charcoal balls in the practice session.

So straighter is often greater. I'll be working hard on my straight game when I get done renovating and shoe up soon. (Let's face it, ball companies aren't building many releases with Belmo or me in mind!) But gee, it'd be boring if that's what you HAD to do! I always said in the 80's that if I had to bowl like Bradford to win, I'd quit. It's just so dull; pick up ball - dump on lane - read label as it goes down lane - repeat. Along came reactive resin and I left bowling for 12 years. Along came modern oiling machines and the game started to allow a variety of shapes to compete and I came back as power wasn't being punished quite so badly.

Besides, hooking the ball is fun. Watching the pins fly hard is fun. The straighties will never know the joy of D.I.Y. power and in that one respect, I feel sorry for them. When I throw the big hard messenger at the 10, or my favourite; hit light, blow the 5, leave the 6 and then messenger it out with the headpin, it's just hilarious. Then some guy with no hand tells me that I'm lucky. I reply "Yep, must be the luckiest guy in the world..." It winds 'em up beautifully. George would be proud of me! ;)

But I ramble. Enjoying my new (2nd hand) espresso machine and the locally roasted coffee a little too much.

In summary, yes straighter is greater when you need to go straight, but more versatility is required on the right hand side, where things change more and therefore faster. If you're right-handed, you need more tricks to cope.

Cheers,
Jason

It's important to clarify 'straighter is greater'. Straighter is greater if you are referring to playing tighter angles (anything which covers less than 15 boards or is what I call straight in todays game). The benefit in doing this is the control one has and the less chance of creating funky splits. Don't get this confused with rotation though, Belmo and Osku can both play straight up 15 with 2 boards hook at +550 RPM. This is what is truly great, the rotation and ability to play multiple angles dependant on what conditions you are faced with.

I play straighter angles because of my low rotation rate and the conditions on I bowl on the left side are different versus the right. On the left the heads rarely break down which means I can play in the same part of the lane almost all day and just focus on repeating and if need be changing my release and ball roll to suit. The righties have a whole different condition to attend to because of the traffic and the constant change in conditions for them. If I was right handed I would not use a wrist guard and would have developed a power game with a focus on versatilty at the release point.

Playing straight has its advantages but the focus should be more on rotation and versatility. Thats why the best bowlers here and overseas constantly finish in the same top places over and over. Right handers need rotation and versatility more so than lefties but it's still the key to todays game.

G'Day All,

Thank you to all that have responded. Just to expand on what the Elite bowlers are talking about here.

If you are like me and trying to transition from Official League Hack to the next run up the ladder to Typical House Bowler, the Revolution and Rotation explanation is some time hard to explain and understand.

A few month ago I found the video set below by Norm Duke. I hope it helps you make sense of the terms.

http://www.nextlevelbowling.com/page.php?page_id=29

See lesson #5 Rotation.

It is well worth the 7 minutes.

Id suggest anyone who wants to learn something today watches all those video's, they are great.

Good point from George.

I am by no means a stroker, I would be classified by most to be a High rev bowler but I have learnt for me to be successful and throwing a comfortable amount of revs I need to use less aggressive gear and sit in between 5 and 10 board. All my best performances have been throwing 10-5.

I think where a lot of young bowlers go wrong is the notion that to bowl down 5-10 you need to be a stroker. Just because you have a medium - high revs doesnt mean you have to stand on the opposite side of the lane and hit the gutter.

At the end of the day regardless of speed,revs,accuracy,power or what gear your using. The straight you shoot, the higher percentage you are going to hit your mark everytime.

Back
Top Bottom