State Representation 2009

You know state reps were the best of the best .....Not NOW !!!
If you can pay you can play !!!!.... Training camps are positive there is no arguements from me !!!

Results should be the team not those who can afford it ...
God knows bowlers pay enough thru out the year....
Why dont the managers ever pay & reduce costs for all.

The managers and coaches do pay for their costs.

When was the nomination details for this squad advertised.
Is it too late to fax through the application form.

Thanks

There are valid points from each side of the fence.

I was considering rolling off for rachuig this year. When I first started bowling, my grandmother had a video of rachuig in Moonah (1990 or 1991, cant remember to be sure) with interviews from Warren Stewart and Sue Cassell as well as the masters match between Peter VanKempen and Rob Zikman and Sue versus Jenny Burton. I wanted to one day represent Victoria in this what seemed a very prestigeous event to a teenaged dreamer....

Given this announcement, I have the following statement to make.

I'm sorry Victenpins, you will not have my entry into rachuig.

heyy
iv been reading threw this and am abit lost..

i would just like to know,
if im not part of this "vic training squad"
does that mean i cannot roll off for president sheild later on this year??

thanx
Daniel :)

I Think the state training squad is a good idea and most of the junior and youth bowlers of the future are in fact country bowlers!

State reps are still the best of the best! Take a look at the youth girls last week... we chucked 1010 for 4 games with our lowest game being a 237 and it was on a long pattern! you can not tell me that aint great bowling

I am not having a shot at any bowler Bec..... I agree thats fantastic bowling.

I would like to see teams picked by results not because you can afford it.

But that opens another can of worms ....Ummmmm Clicks & we all know what thats like !!!!!!

Just thought I'd notify bowlers interested that the nominations for the State Training Squad close tommorrow Thursday January 22nd.

See excerp from letter received from Vic Tenpins:

As from 2009, only bowlers who are members of the State Training Squad will be eligible to roll off for President’s Shield, Youth Challenge and Rachuig team trials. (From 2010, this will also include Restricted Challenge and Senior’s Challenge team trials.)

One of the requirements of being in the State Squad is that bowlers must attend all compulsory training sessions and at least 50% of non compulsory sessions. There will be between 7-10 sessions and clinics per year, depending on your age eligibility for various teams.

The Training Committee is firm on bowlers making their required sessions. Allowances will only be made due to prolonged sickness, if advised, and holidays. Failure to make your sessions will mean your position in the squad will be reviewed and the possibility of being released from the squad.

Squad members will also be required to keep a level of fitness appropriate to their age and competition division.

Membership of this particular squad is gained on merit and motivation – combined, this will provide you with the necessary coaching to achieve your goals, as well as many new friendships. It is a squad which is focused upon competition – but not necessarily competition with others.

What is my financial commitment?
Bowlers will be required to pay $50.00, which will include a training shirt. The cost to attend training sessions and clinics will vary depending on the venue and presenters, but you can anticipate each session will cost between $30.00and $60.00.

So I suggest those interested be quick to contact Vic Tenpins to get their application in for the Squad. Remember you also are required to bowl an All Events entry at the State Championships to be held at Werribee

so you could pay up to $650, attend every session and not make a state squad?????

and who makes the decision on weather your good enough for rachuig??? after fulfilling all the obligations???

So that makes it so much harder for some country people who may be interested in representing there state. Its not just about getting time off on a weekend. When we travel we have to leave on the Friday which means time off work and get back late Sunday night. Oh well will take that off my list of things i want to do.

Deano

gees deano, you could clock up 11,000km in hope that you might be liked enough to play rachuig

yes its an 1100km round trip to mildura

One of the great things about the recent President Shield teams has been having country representatives.

There have been bowlers from Geelong, Morwell, Bendigo, Mildura, Horsham, Albury and Shepparton.

These kids have travelled to Melbourne for training sessions once a month. I don't believe that I have heard any of these kids complain.

The state championships have been held in country centres and so has Emerson shield etc.

We are very lucky that our state in small enough to allow easy travel. The furthest location is Mildura. Imagine living in Queensland.

If you really want to represent a team then you will do it.

of course, most of it is parent funded

i never once complained at the thousands my parents forked out to give me a chance of being an elitist bowler

I Think the state training squad is a good idea and most of the junior and youth bowlers of the future are in fact country bowlers!

State reps are still the best of the best! Take a look at the youth girls last week... we chucked 1010 for 4 games with our lowest game being a 237 and it was on a long pattern! you can not tell me that aint great bowling

Are you telling me that the difference between the long and short was that different you got confused as to what pattern you were on? I know they both weren't difficult, but you bowled the 1010 on the short pattern! hahaha :p:p

I too can see some positives from the training squads. However............

I have lived and bowled in both city and now the country. The way it goes is that the country bowlers are more willing to travel to the city but the city bowlers are not as eager to travel to the country.

I now understand how much effort,time and money it takes if you wish to bowl and live in the country. Even if some of the bowling was taken to the country centres, can you imagine somebody from Albury having to travel to Warnambool for instance?

The earning capacity in the country is far less than in the city and things costs much more in the city than in the country. So again the country bowler is behind the 8 ball.

This issue does bother me as there are some really great bowlers in country Vic and I would hate to think that they could not take advantage of this opportunity because of where they live.

There must be an answer out there.

Liz

I must be missing something here.

Are you under the impression that I am saying that the vic rep team should only have city bowlers in it?

Why would I be under that impression? I never said that, you never said that, and it has never been implied. You really should read what has been written.

The fact of the matter is that you will have country bowlers who are effectively costed out of the state team. Whether you like it or not, you will not end up with the best team in the state, you will end up with those prepared to pay to represent the state.

gees deano, you could clock up 11,000km in hope that you might be liked enough to play rachuig

yes its an 1100km round trip to mildura

Well i very much doubt that i would be liked because i hardly was when i was a junior so i doubt it even more now.

Deano

I have sent an email to Victenpins asking if the training squad will be having any sessions at country centres. I will post what their response is.

Hey Craig the 1010 game was bowled on the long pattern. The teams were supposed to start on long oil but this was switched so the temas started on the short pattern.

I have sent an email to Victenpins asking if the training squad will be having any sessions at country centres. I will post what their response is.

Hey Craig the 1010 game was bowled on the long pattern. The teams were supposed to start on long oil but this was switched so the temas started on the short pattern.

Fair enough... The fact the long played down the outside was my issue with the event. Would've been nice to see players challenged to play deep etc.

Will be interesting to see the response you get. I hope there is a session in Mildura. I need a reason to get up and experience, the great service that is provided up there (I'm not sure driving hours up there and then bowling for 2 hours is viable!)

It will also depend on how many bowlers are interested.

Centres may not be keen on allocating 10 of the lanes for a state squad.

I have sent an email to Victenpins asking if the training squad will be having any sessions at country centres. I will post what their response is.QUOTE]

Dont hold your breath on that ..gwhiting !!!

I suppose if enough people stamp there feet about it there maybe a chance..
In 2015....!!!

In essence a training squad is a good idea. Whether this one is the right format, well we will have to wait and see. I am sure all will learn from it, from the VTBA to the bowlers. With the junior and some what the youth, well I am sure the parents will have the most say on the expense side of it.

Over the last seven or eight years Lisa and myself have experienced the financial side of sending kids away as well as time taken to arrange it all from Mildura to Melbourne. We have had great support from many people over the years from giving Alicia & Jess a bed to helping with stop overs and travel from Bendigo etc.

As for having the squads train in Mildura I think the logistics would be huge and not that beneficial. As far as the other larger country centres go, well that is up to the VTBA.

In short, having an extra 5 to 10 trips to Melbourne would not be very feasible finacially or time wise. JMHO

Rob

Back
Top Bottom