State Representation 2009

jockey

Just thought I'd notify bowlers interested that the nominations for the State Training Squad close tommorrow Thursday January 22nd.

See excerp from letter received from Vic Tenpins:

As from 2009, only bowlers who are members of the State Training Squad will be eligible to roll off for President’s Shield, Youth Challenge and Rachuig team trials. (From 2010, this will also include Restricted Challenge and Senior’s Challenge team trials.)

One of the requirements of being in the State Squad is that bowlers must attend all compulsory training sessions and at least 50% of non compulsory sessions. There will be between 7-10 sessions and clinics per year, depending on your age eligibility for various teams.

The Training Committee is firm on bowlers making their required sessions. Allowances will only be made due to prolonged sickness, if advised, and holidays. Failure to make your sessions will mean your position in the squad will be reviewed and the possibility of being released from the squad.

Squad members will also be required to keep a level of fitness appropriate to their age and competition division.

Membership of this particular squad is gained on merit and motivation – combined, this will provide you with the necessary coaching to achieve your goals, as well as many new friendships. It is a squad which is focused upon competition – but not necessarily competition with others.

What is my financial commitment?
Bowlers will be required to pay $50.00, which will include a training shirt. The cost to attend training sessions and clinics will vary depending on the venue and presenters, but you can anticipate each session will cost between $30.00and $60.00.

So I suggest those interested be quick to contact Vic Tenpins to get their application in for the Squad. Remember you also are required to bowl an All Events entry at the State Championships to be held at Werribee

So that makes it so much harder for some country people who may be interested in representing there state. Its not just about getting time off on a weekend. When we travel we have to leave on the Friday which means time off work and get back late Sunday night. Oh well will take that off my list of things i want to do.

Deano

yes deano that makes two of as. i thaink that sucks that you have to be in a training squad as well as bowl state champs it well be good to see how maney they get to bowl again this year they are just makeing it harder and harder to try for the vic team. go back to the old way and you get lors of bowler try out again like it was about 3 years ago.

So that makes it so much harder for some country people who may be interested in representing there state. Its not just about getting time off on a weekend. When we travel we have to leave on the Friday which means time off work and get back late Sunday night. Oh well will take that off my list of things i want to do.

Deano

I have to agree with you.
Maybe it should be called Team Melbourne not a State team.
Grumpy.

Deano if your ave is 199 and under you should try out for Holt.
No restrictions there.:)

The spiraling cost of State representation has just gone off the chart. Let's see if I can break this down and give everyone a better idea of the total cost invoved. And this is for Melbourne based bowlers. Country bowlers will probably have to double the total cost when you take into consideration the travel costs involved to attent the training sessions.

$50 for a training shirt, cos we all know not just any shirt will do. ;)
$250 for half of the training sessions..and that's a low estimate
$300 State tournament participation
$1,500 Raichuig competition
............................................................................................
$3,000 total cost

I think I'll pass
besides it would cost me an additional $2,000 for a gym membership, personal trainer and dietician so i could meet the VicTenpins physical fitness criteria.

Well done VicTenpins

The spiraling cost of State representation has just gone off the chart. Let's see if I can break this down and give everyone a better idea of the total cost invoved. And this is for Melbourne based bowlers. Country bowlers will probably have to double the total cost when you take into consideration the travel costs involved to attent the training sessions.

$50 for a training shirt, cos we all know not just any shirt will do. ;)
$250 for half of the training sessions..and that's a low estimate
$300 State tournament participation
$1,500 Raichuig competition
............................................................................................
$3,000 total cost

I think I'll pass
besides it would cost me an additional $2,000 for a gym membership, personal trainer and dietician so i could meet the VicTenpins physical fitness criteria.

Well done VicTenpins

Must say i do agree with you wayne but when was the last time you tried out for state representation.:confused::confused::confused:

Phil

Maybe this might be a good time to introduce a Vic Country Team. Makes sense to me.

Deano

In many sports State Representation does not come easy or cheap to anyone and doesn't happen on a whim.
Many competitors earn the right to represent their State and I don't see Tenpin Bowling as any lesser sport than others.
Its about time we all take this a little bit more seriously.

Just my observation.

Dozza ;)

Well would they be prepared to hold some of the training sessions in country victoria? (I dont mean Bendigo or Ballarat which is just down the road. Maybe Shep, Sunraysia or even Warnambool.)

Deano

Its getting out of hand as far as I am concerned .
I have never tried & to old to now . But was hoping one of my kids would one day. NO CHANCE !!!!!!

Hey Everyone,

My opinion is a little different to what people have so far expressed in this topic. I think that the Training Squad is a really positive move by VicTenpins to actually deliver a pathway to those athletes who want to improve and develop their skills.

Like all sports and things in life, they COST. That is fact. Unfortunately, VicTenpins does not have surplus funds to support its State Teams. This comes down to many things such as participation, funding models and so on. However, I believe that are some serious advantages to using this model to determine your state teams.

By having a State Training Squad, it will allow bowlers to build relationships between each member in the training squad, meaning that the 7 bowlers will be very familiar with each other by the time the competition comes around.
Members will also be more aware of each others 'games' and can really help each other during the competition on ball selection, surface as they know their games because they have been training with them.

It will also allow members of the squad from the country access to the facilities and resources that city bowlers have presently at their fingertips. As a member of the squad, you will have access to the best coaches and resources which many country bowlers may not have any access to presently.

Also too, I pose the questions, can I simply pay $60 and tryout for Melbourne Storm Rugby League Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Cricket Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Amateur Football Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Basketball Team?

I believe by having this training squad it will encourage participation and ensure that bowlers who do represent their state are as well prepared as they possibly can be which I believe will retain people in the game, rather than them leaving because they are not improving to the level they want to get to.

Joel

What 600km each way is fair? Also when was the last time state teams practiced in reigonal victoria? Is Vic Country team a fair proposal? I totally agree with a training squad of some sort but its bloody hard when you are so far away. Its not a matter of us moving closer to the city either because thats a life changing thing. Anyway i wont be trying out for it at all even though i would love to bowl for my state its just not worth it.

Deano

Like all sports and things in life, they COST.

It will also allow members of the squad from the country access to the facilities and resources that city bowlers have presently at their fingertips. As a member of the squad, you will have access to the best coaches and resources which many country bowlers may not have any access to presently.

I guess this answers a previous question as to the location of the training sessions...

Also too, I pose the questions, can I simply pay $60 and tryout for Melbourne Storm Rugby League Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Cricket Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Amateur Football Team? Can I pay $60 and tryout for the Victorian Basketball Team?

There's a huge difference between Rachuig teams and semi -professional and professional sports teams. Those players get to see a monetary return for their efforts, and for the most part, the team are filled with the very best athletes in their respective sports. State Rachuig tenpin bowling teams are mostly populated with second echelon bowlers. Most of our top bowlers just don't see any reason to spend thousands of dollars on what has become a second rate event.

Joel

from what I've been told and read, Rachuig was once a great event...too bad it's become a financial hardship in this decade.

What 600km each way is fair? Also when was the last time state teams practiced in reigonal victoria? Is Vic Country team a fair proposal? I totally agree with a training squad of some sort but its bloody hard when you are so far away. Its not a matter of us moving closer to the city either because thats a life changing thing. Anyway i wont be trying out for it at all even though i would love to bowl for my state its just not worth it.

Deano

In 2005 the Victorian President Shield team had a practice weekend in Geelong and in 2006 they had a practice session in Bendigo.

Good to see positive post thanks Joel.

That 2 practices from all the state teams and that was 2 years ago. How about places like Sunraysia and Shep or even Morwell? Not wanting to argue just trying to prove that there is country interest but there wont be much really because of the costs and qualification restricitons, it just makes it too hard.

Deano

One of the great things about the recent President Shield teams has been having country representatives.

There have been bowlers from Geelong, Morwell, Bendigo, Mildura, Horsham, Albury and Shepparton.

These kids have travelled to Melbourne for training sessions once a month. I don't believe that I have heard any of these kids complain.

The state championships have been held in country centres and so has Emerson shield etc.

We are very lucky that our state in small enough to allow easy travel. The furthest location is Mildura. Imagine living in Queensland.

If you really want to represent a team then you will do it.

Glen so this means because i cant afford to do it that its just tough luck. I bowled 3 times in shield. I live in Mildura and if it wasnt for my parents going without well i would not of been able to. I still live in Mildura now but do you understand how much it would cost if i was to now bowl rachuig? You wont hear the kids complain because they arent paying for it. Its all about the $$$$$$. Apparently if you dont have heaps of it its just bad luck.

Deano

Glen so this means because i cant afford to do it that its just tough luck. I bowled 3 times in shield. I live in Mildura and if it wasnt for my parents going without well i would not of been able to. I still live in Mildura now but do you understand how much it would cost if i was to now bowl rachuig? You wont hear the kids complain because they arent paying for it. Its all about the $$$$$$. Apparently if you dont have heaps of it its just bad luck.

Deano

Yes bowling Rachuig is not cheap but this is a decision that you need to make as to whether you are prepared to pay for it.

It all comes down to your choice.

I still believe that the training squads is a great idea in developing and promoting bowling in our state.

Back
Top Bottom