STATE LEAGUE for Queensland?

Interesting point though... would the bowlers be committed to staying in those teams... lets say Kingaroy A and Kingaroy B?

Or could they move bowlers between the 2 come semi's time?

Im sure that would need clarification before the season started... just throwing it out there.

Center I was refering to was Aspley. I’m sure there’s 14 to 20 bowlers that could fill the bill from the Haro’s leagues, ABF doubles and Wed league. Not forgetting any youth and jnr bowlers.

Let me check Hamster, I cant see a problem as long as the centre supports 2 teams. Remember it really needs the centre owners/managers to be on board as the money that is paid to participate goes directly to the prizefund and not lineage. The support so far has been overwhelming. I'll be contacting all proprietors personally and explaining the concept and seeing how many I can can on board in our first year, I'm hoping for 8.

One of the best parts of this is the centres simply put down their respective house conditions so it's a good contest.

George love the idea. But how far are you want this to open up as in travel. And wouldn't you think the centre should get something out of running the event asking a lot there for $3 per game and all going into a prize fund or have I made a mistake in this?

We have to make this affordable and attractive to all parties (bowlers and centres). There is a end of season payout with a 'bowling centre' prize inclusive, this money is for the bowl and to recoup some costs associated with hosting the events. I think a minimal charge might be in order as long as it fits within the budget, dont want it getting too expensive. I really need to sit down and do the numbers properly first and then I'll post the information and get on to the centres directly.

I thought keeping it within 2-3hrs of Brisbane would be a good start, mainly because if you live in Maryborough an away game in Ballina is a 5hr trip each way. Really dont want people having to travel more than 4 hrs where possible. I'll have to check on the interest from the Brisbane metro area first and go from there. I already know Ballina is in and they are 2.5hrs from Brisbane.

Just because a centre may not get linage from S.T.B.L, doesn't mean they can't use the S.T.B.L. to increase/recruit new bowlers = more linage in other areas...

If people start bowling league in a centre & that centre has an S.T.B.L. team, more league bowlers will aspire to be part of the S.T.B.L team, which leads to better participation in the other leagues in the centre....

Hi George, I have spoken to my boss he may be prepared to throw $5000 in this. He was going to give me the 5k for a tournament but i think this may get him and our company more exposure. How would the funds be used if available?

Wow Rikki, for that sort of money I'm sure I could give him naming rights to the series and ensure all teams where his logo on their shirts. I"ll call you soon and we'll discuss....

George you have said Ballina is onborad, but Ballina is NSW, you are calling this State league for Queensland.
You might need to rethink this.

It's pretty obvious Ballina is in NSW, thats easy fixed..... it wont be called a State League then, it will be a some sort of Intercentre Team Challenge, really it doesnt matter. It's about promoting competitive team bowling, Ballina are only 2 hrs from our boarder thanks to the new highway, they are big promoters of bowling and were the first to come on board.

If youre worried I wont include Maryborough Mark, dont be, if you want to field a team, you can. I'll draw the line at teams that are 3 hrs from Brisbane which means youre in. We have to limit the distance to make it viable for travelling teams.

At this stage we also introduce a compulsory female bowler into the mix too, not sure how yet but when I have a spare 2 hrs or so I'll draft a proposal and see what everyone says.

At this stage we also introduce a compulsory female bowler into the mix too, not sure how yet but when I have a spare 2 hrs or so I'll draft a proposal and see what everyone says.

I don't think you'll need to make the inclusion of female bowlers compulsory George, I'm sure there are plenty of high enough averaging women up there who can, and will, mix it with the guys in this competition.... I'd be surprised if you didn't get enough female interest that you'd have make it mandatory for teams to have a female team member...

Great idea the centres can always pick up income from cafe but as someone said its getting the sport moving in the right direction. I have some keen young guns here and Garden City would be interested in being involved.

State League in NSW is a real success. Unless you're trying to run events other than State League. Tournament bowling is a complete basket case down here because everybody's got State League, Premier League, ID, something or other. These team leagues are great, but they have a shotgun effect on tournament calendars and can play havoc with a healthy tournament scene, such as QLD has and is the envy of other states.

Ask Stephen Cowland what it's like finding 6 Sundays to run a Sport Series. (Poor bugger...)

State League in NSW is a real success. Unless you're trying to run events other than State League. Tournament bowling is a complete basket case down here because everybody's got State League, Premier League, ID, something or other. These team leagues are great, but they have a shotgun effect on tournament calendars and can play havoc with a healthy tournament scene, such as QLD has and is the envy of other states.

Ask Stephen Cowland what it's like finding 6 Sundays to run a Sport Series. (Poor bugger...)

Clashes will always happen. Regardless. I am missing out on the Sport Series Plastic Ball tourny, due to my team making the grand final of the S.T.B.L. I was really looking forward to the SS this month, but, we're the defending premiers, so i'm chomping at the bit to bowl the final this weekend!!!

It's pretty obvious Ballina is in NSW, thats easy fixed..... it wont be called a State League then, it will be a some sort of Intercentre Team Challenge, really it doesnt matter. It's about promoting competitive team bowling, Ballina are only 2 hrs from our boarder thanks to the new highway, they are big promoters of bowling and were the first to come on board.

If youre worried I wont include Maryborough Mark, dont be, if you want to field a team, you can. I'll draw the line at teams that are 3 hrs from Brisbane which means youre in. We have to limit the distance to make it viable for travelling teams.

George Mark isnt in maryborough anymore he is at Lismore and as been for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom