Sport Bowling Coming to Mentone?

STEROID

With bowling technology becoming more of a factor everyday, it seems that one way of “evening the playing field” for all bowlers is to change the oil pattern. To help promote integrity and shot-making ability to the sport of tenpin bowling, the United States Bowling Congress (USBC) has recently developed “Sport Bowling.” Sport bowling (similar to the 3:1 oil pattern ratio implemented by TBA at nationally ranked tournaments) is a way to reward bowlers for consistent shot-making by oiling the lanes so it is difficult to achieve high scores. Sport bowling requires consistency, accuracy, and spare shooting to be the best on the day.

To help promote the development of better athletes and to promote tenpin bowling as a “sport,” I (with the help of Steve Arundell at Mentone Bowl and Joel Lovegrove) would like to start a sport bowling league in Victoria in order to help develop the best bowlers in the country. Similar to the sport condition tournament held at Mooroolbark in January, this league will test bowlers’ ability to execute shots.

I would like to challenge any bowler who wants to be more competitive and fine-tune their mental and physical ability to join this sport bowling league. For those that will try out for the East Coast Challenge, Rachuig, and De Veer teams, this would be a good opportunity to train for those tournaments on “difficult” lane conditions. By bowling on demanding oil patterns, shot-making ability will be fine-tuned and bowlers will stay sharp for competitions. Here are the POTENTIAL DETAILS, we are trying to set this up and this forum will give us an indication of the interest of sport bowling in Victoria. We would like your feedback on whether you would join this league before finalising the details.

SPORT BOWLING LEAGUE AT MENTONE BOWL
Who? Any Victorian that wants to be more competitive in tournaments
When? Either Tuesday (probably) or Wednesday nights at 8:30pm (starting date and time unknown yet)
Where? Mentone Bowl
What type of league will it be? Singles (handicap or scratch?) league to start (league format TBD… hopefully cash prizes and free games available during each league night)
How much? $15- $20 per week (not a “mega-bucks” league… a “mega-challenge” league)
What will be the oil pattern? Between 1:1 and 4:1 ratio each week, with the pattern being changed every 4 to 5 weeks (depending on weeks in the season).
How many weeks in the season? TBD by bowlers (probably a 20-week season?)

Please provide feedback on this forum if you WOULD join this league (if started) and please provide feedback on what day, what type of league, etc. in order for us to better organise this sport bowling league.

"Challenging yourself mentally and physically is the only way to reach your full potential"
Chris Mesagno

What a GREAT IDEA!

I'd like to personally thank Chris Mesagno, Joel Lovegrove and Steve Arundell for recognising the imminent destruction of bowling due to ridiculously high scoring lane conditions.

I live a little too far out of Melbourne to compete. (I'm in Bendigo)
I wish you guys the best of luck with this endeavour, and can only pray that you get the outstanding turnout that such an idea deserves.

Wayne Chester

Sounds good Roid, i'm definately interested in this and it being at Mentone is just a bonus :D

As far as day/time goes, pretty much anything after 7:00pm so that people can get there from work and etc. For the day, probably best to have a look around at the "closer" centres to Mentone and see what big leagues are running. Wednesday night will be a lot tougher than Tuesday to bring in the people because of AMFlite at Moorabbin, and the Singles leagues at Forest Hill and Dandenong just to mention a few.

I like the fact you aren't going to charge an arm and a leg for this and hope that this idea will take off.

Cheers,
Brett Hughes

I think it's a great idea and hope it's successful. I'm in the same predicament as wchester though and cannot take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.

Since living in the country I have learnt that there are a lot of great bowlers in the remote areas of our great state. Sadly they go unnoticed in most cases as they have limited access to what the sport has to offer due to money and time restraints.

Maybe there is somebody out there with an answer?

Liz

This souunds great! It would be great to bowl on some hard conditions to inmprove our bowling. Singles format sounds fine. I like that your not charging an arm and a leg for this league. Tuesday sounds a good day. As Brett said you will need to find a day where the big leagues near Mentone are not being bowled on the same night, to attract more people.

My brother and I would definitely join this league if it started up.

Hugh

Hi I am very interested in this but as stated before there are a few top leagues around AMFlite at Moorabbin, at Forest Hill Dandenong and Frankston FJB on a Tuesday just to name a few so I must say choosing a day is going to hard :rainbowa:

Hi Chris,

You can count me in, but I already bowl leagues Mon Tues and Wed and others have said some big leagues bowl on those nights as well.

So guys what about Friday nights? I can't think of any centres close by that have big leagues on Fridays. But feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Should be an interesting league with a great format.

Rebecca Robinson

Friday would be good but Mentone's best league (Signature League) is run at that time and they would most likely keep that time. Your not going to be able to find a time to suit EVERYBODY so maybe just get a list of people interested and those people put a vote forward to what night would be best or some kind of ranking system.

Hi guys,

Thanks for those of you who are interested in the Sport Bowling league.

Tuesday or Wednesday night would be the best day for the Sport league considering Mentone's league schedule. I think Tuesday night would be the best night as the only competitive league during that night (to my knowledge) is the Frankston League (the one Rebecca is in). Other than Rebecca, I don't think many bowlers from that league would want to join (please correct me if I'm wrong!). A very competitive league is on Wednesday night at Dandenong, not to mention the Moorabin AMFlite league, so that is not a very good day.

My goal for the start of this league is to get about 16 bowlers, which would be a good starting point and then build on that...

Since Tuesday nights is the tentative day to have this league, please give me some feedback on the format, how many weeks, etc.

Maybe we will have an organisation meeting at Mentone sometime within the next month to see how many people would like to join.

I'll keep you updated!
Chris

its a great idea and i would love to bowl but both tuesday and wednesday are out for me....anyone wanting to better there game should bowl this..especially if you bowl locally on a ditch and average 220 and then go away to tournaments and consistantly average 170...

Hi Chris
need to correct you in regards to the Frankston league I bowl in it as well and am interested in it, as a few others that I have spoken to as well something to think about :wink:

Hey Chris,

I'm wondering what kind of conditions are going to be put down i know that its going to be 3 to 1 is that condition going to very???

I need to improve on sports conditions badly so i'll see how funds go put me down for now and i'll let you know whats happening

Jimmy

Hi Guys,

There is a fair bit of interest in this league so far!!! I can count about 15-20 people that have asked about it... depending on the day! I know that we won't please everyone with the day of this league but we want to get the most people that could join the league. Right now it is either Monday or Tuesday!

If you are interested in the Sport Bowling League at Mentone, please call Mentone Bowl (9583 1244).

Tell them you are interested in the Sport Bowling league and leave your
1. Name
2. Telephone number(s)
3. What day(s) you prefer to bowl? (2 options... Monday or Tuesday night)

The employees will NOT know much about the league. They will only be taking this information. If you have any questions, post them here and I'll hopefully respond.

To answer your question, Jimmy, I have no idea what patterns they will be. As stated in the first post, the shot will changed every 4-5 weeks so if you find one oil pattern tough, then you might find some relief in a few weeks. I am currently in discussions with Kegel Training Centre and others affiliated with Sport bowling to get "legitimate" sport bowling oil patterns... possibly patterns used in the PBA??? Speaking from experience (I bowled on a Sport League for 6 months before coming to Australia), it is a very challenging environment!!!

More information to come... we are possibly going to have an "organisational" meeting sometime soon where we can discuss days/ times/ etc. of the league and possibly have a practice on a sport bowling pattern during that night for a small "taste" of sport bowling is like!

chris

Dear Chris,

hi - i am too interested but as far as bowling goes - mentone is just a little too far to travel from heidelberg. i bowl league on Friday nights with Craig Ryan, and Jessica ryan, and glen Loader.

i would like some 'training or practice' as I would like the oppourtunity to bowl in a tournament - i was thinking of trying out for Eccc but i don't think i would be good enough.

i tryed out at Keon Park for a spot in the Vic 150 and missed out by 80 pins - for 6 games my overall total was 1221 and someone else bowled a 1301 series - close wasn't it?

If you can suggest anything I would be happy to speak with you further.
Regards Chantal

Hi Guys,

As promised, we will be having an organisational meeting of the Sport Bowling league on Monday, APRIL 4, 2005 at 7:30pm. This meeting will be at Mentone Tenpin Bowl (Corner of Warrigal Rd & Nepean Highway)!

The organisational meeting will inform you of what sport bowling is, what the league involves, how much the league is per week, the starting date of the league, and other important information.

If you can't make it on that day but are still interested, please call mentone bowl and leave your name, phone number, and what day (Monday or Tuesday only) you prefer the league to be on.

Chantel... Ask Craig or Jess Ryan (or anyone else at Keon Park who knows me) for my phone number and ring me, and I'll be happy to speak with you...just remember though... You are only as good as you think you are!!!

Thanks guys... hope to see you there!!!
chris

Hey Guys,

Just a reminder that we will be having an organisational meeting for the Sport Bowling league this Monday, APRIL 4, 2005 at 7:30pm at Mentone Tenpin Bowl (Corner of Warrigal Rd & Nepean Highway)! This is the day after the 1st stages of Rachuig and WDV trials.

If you are interesting in joining the league, please come and share your ideas. If you can't make it but are still interested in joining, please call mentone bowl and leave your name, phone number, and the day you prefer to bowl (monday or tuesday only). I'll call you next week to let you know more about the league.

I've had a number of people asking about it. It should be an exciting learning experience for all who joins!

chris

Back
Top Bottom