Sledging

I see nothing wrong with bowlers getting pumped up during a game. Lets face it the game itself is that interesting to watch, and you always need people to be having fun, and enjoying themselves. Without this, tournaments/leagues would be a very boring place indeed, if all we could do was pick up the ball, walk to the line, bowl the ball, and walk back. Gee sounds boring, and l'm sure those that have to do it due to a Code of Conduct, would have to agree.

After all lets face it, when you watch people bowling, you want to see the emotion they are going through, the pain, the enjoyment, and all the stuff in between.

Sledging is not on at all, but bowlers enjoying the game, and making fun and interesting for all those watching, is well worth, the shouting, laughing, hand slapping, and general encourgement that it brings to all.

RC said:
This sounds like the situation that you and i both saw last night that was the result of the centre making a rule at the request of the league president! (No consultation with the league members!) That children and family members of bowlers were not allowed to walk into the bowlers area for any reason during play
Ronnie

I just wanted to add that the league president requested that the TBA Rule 201 on Bowling Etiquette and Rule 210 General Code of Conduct guidelines be acknowledged by league members following a written complaint and a number of verbal complaints. As a predominantly self managed league, the majority of the guidelines are league specific with of course any house rules being included. I am not so sure what rule the centre changed, however in regards to people coming onto the playing area, the constitution has had the ruling, at least since I started in it last year, that non-league members are not permitted in the playing area.

Ronnie, I am sure that the league president would be more than willing to listen to any of your concerns in person and offer explanations.

Anyways, the sooner this is sorted out the better, I just love turning up to bowling, having a chat, and maybe even bowling a couple of good games. I love the centre we are in and I find the staff friendly and helpful.

Andrew

Ronnie

Bring the Happy half of your league over to Milton on Thursday nights and join in the fun and family atmosphere over there mate, the staff makes you feel welcome and to be honest it’s a very loud league. Or you have a short trip up the highway to Batsey’s place and bowl on Wednesday nights up there. I have subbed in that league a few times and they also know how to have some fun!!!!

Milton have numerous teams that are loud but controlled and over all the years I have bowled it have never been put off by the cheering, clapping and skitching for that matter. There is one team in particular that are known as the houses' loudest and to be honest they come up with a little something different each week and make us all laugh!

We can always tell when one of the team is away, the center is allot quieter and boring. As for banning kids of the bowlers in the players area as long as they are well behaved I don’t have any issues with it, gees one of my good mates had all three of his kids on the lanes at times on Thursday night and it didn't stop Brad Marshall shooting a 300 and 1080 series, and Brad is a member of that team.

The kids loved watching the strikes Brad was throwing which was allot I might add, and were hi 5’ing him and having a great time, who knows that a night like that for those kids could be the night that decides that they want to join a little league and bowl. That too must also be for the good of the game, who knows what talent they have they could be the next Belmo, Bottomley or Walshy for that matter.

Mary I couldn’t agree more with you, what would those tournaments be like with out the hype and noise that they unfold, I remember a particular group of people trying to introduce it to tournament bowling a few years ago and called them selves Team Adidas.

Jase.

Andrew Hill,
It is just a shame that the whole league was not allowed in the meeting the other night. If you had of been you would have been aware that it wasn't open for discussion. We got told in no uncertain terms that anyone who upset Mr President would be handed a card at his discretion and he was not afraid to hand them out!
If it was going to be discussed that was the right place to discuss it!
The league as a whole should be responsible for making decisions, am i wrong?

I know you are on his wifes team and i am sure you have been told her version of events, that's great. The thing that pissed me off the most was the 2 phone calls i received on Friday telling me he had a whinge about my behaviour!

So i don't think it will be discussed with me but i'm sure they will try to tell me how it is, like it or lump it!

As with any sport, the reason people participate is (in most cases!!) for pleasure and enjoyment. Being able to show that you're enjoying yourself is integral to the whole experience. So, if the actions are to show you're having a great time then go for it! Particularly in team events this sort of enthusiam is a must and can give a boost to those around you. This is not what I'd define as sledging.

On the other hand I have NO time for genuine sledging and intimidation. I've heard the arguement that there is no such thing as a friend when you're on the lanes. In my view that is absolute BS. If you're a true friend off the lanes you'll be a friend on the lanes also.

At this years Junior Masters I witnessed some pretty intense sledging by supposed friends. Also, some parents of competitors sitting in the bowlers area sledging. I can only guess that the intention was to intimidate the opponent. Regardless, it detracts from the notion of friendly competition played in the true spirit of sport. Any victory obtained in this manner would surely be a hollow one and reflects poorly on the true character of the person doing the sledging.

True sports men and women have no need to stoop that low.

</endrant>

To end on a positive note ... there's nothing better than seeing people competing in a sport they love, having a great time and showing it. Bring it on!

Joyce Mazzoni

Ronnie,

You are right I do not know what went on in the meeting and realistically I dont want to get into the he said/she said scenario. I was just commenting on how I seen the situation from my point of view as a bowler who has seen the goings on during league. There has been alot of talk about it being about celebrating and noise, from my perspective I was happy to sign because I have an issue with people kicking ball returns, squeaking their shoes in a deliberate manner, and general unsportsmanship behaviour all of which is covered by these additional guidelines. I am not pointing the finger at anyone or any team, I have seen it across a number of teams throughout the year and this was why I was happy to sign. I was tied up when the meeting was on otherwise I would have been in there, and perhaps my reasons werent raised by anyone.

Andrew

ronnie
i totally agree with you and what mary said bowling is all about having fun. l cant stand people who sledge, but clapping and getting excited i think is all part of bowling, and i to bowl thursday night at milton like jase i love bowling there because we have fun and still can bowl seriuosly. on thursday nights my team must be the biggest drinkers there and we have fun bowling.
when it comes to big tornaments as most bowlers know that is when it gets serious.
thanks
fred desmier

There are some people who pay thier $22 to turn up to league for the sole purpose of finding things to complain about.
"The music's too loud", "He said shit, I wish to make a complaint", "those children are running about too much", "that team are making too much noise, and they're drinking too much", "you took our pins first on instruct-o-mat, I'll be complaining about that" - it never ends.
Also, some people getting on to committees find the power all-consuming and like it a little too much. (IE: It goes to thier heads)

Here is an example from Centre League at Moonah, which has been a very successful league in terms of bowler numbers and prize money for some years now. It is also becoming over-regulated.

Centre League Code Of Conduct
These Rules of Conduct will apply to all bowlers in Centre League.

Disciplinary action may be taken against any bowler found to be at fault by conducting themselves in an unprofessional manner. That disciplinary action will be:

1st Offence:
Verbal Warning
2nd Offence:
Loss of two (2) points from team's Season Total.
3rd Offence:
Expulsion from the league for the rest of the season. You will need to apply for re-admission to the league, which will be at the discretion of the board.

The Bowlers Of This League are asked to:
Take Responsibility for their actions which includes language, manner, punctuality, preparation and presentation.

Not to use unsportsmanlike conduct in the form of obscene language, obscene gestures, verbal abuse, physical abuse, or equipment abuse.

To display control, respect, dignity, professionalism to all involved, be it team members, opponents, officials and spectators.

Infractions
The actions that a penalty may be issued for are not limited to the above. Infraction by a player must be directed to the League President in the first instance.

The League President will decide if a formal offence has been committed. If necessary, he may make further investigations.

The committee of Centre League will endorse the decision and record the offence.

By signing this form you are indicating that you are aware of the Code Of Conduct that is in place for Centre League and that you are aware of the disciplinary actions if the code of conduct is breached.

Team Name: __________________________________
Bowlers Name: _______________ Signed: __________

Date: __/__/____

Some things to think about:
Remember that the goals of the game are to have fun, improve your skills, and to feel good.

Play with control. Do not lose your temper.

Turn back the impulse to act as if you're the only bowler who ever got a bad break on a pocket hit.

Play for yourself and your team - your team's performance will benefit and so will your own.

Respect your opponents. Treat all players, as you would like to be treated.

Win with humility - lose with dignity.

Playing the fool is only part of the problem for bowlers who fail to observe courteous behaviour.

If you don't know the etiquette, you don't know the sport. There is a lot of truth to this statement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The League wasn't experiencing any behavioural problems prior to this being drafted, and in the past, any such difficulties were overcome with a quiet little chat and the problem solved and everyone was happy, thus the league continued to have very strong player numbers and was going from strength to strength and had a great atmosphere.

Needless to say, this rather patronising Code Of Conduct legislation wasn't voted through by the team captains, and there are now rumblings of discontent amongst bowlers in the league.

Sounds pretty much like the same thing which sent player numbers plummeting from Sponsors League in 1997/98 (of which that league still has never regained its numbers) and destroyed the TCTDL and the TCBA before that. (TCTDL folded after a punch-up between bowlers and committee people at a league sponsor's premises)

Conduncting yourself in a professional manner is essential to the credibilty of a league or tournament, granted. But over-regulating it to the point of ruining the atmosphere of the league or tournament just turns it into a giant snore-fest.

The behaviour in leagues and tournaments now is extremely tame compared to 15 years ago

Thats interesting Tiger. I thought you couldn't deduct points from a team or an individual once they were won. Can't find anything in the rules about it though.

As far as im concerned its the same as everything...in moderation i see no problem with sledging people just need to know when enough is enough.

There is nothing wrong with a little "friendly" gamesmanship.

Just remember though, if you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.... be prepared to receive just as much, and a little more than what you give.

It ain't bragging if you can back it up ;)

hand skitching i dont think is a problem, tuesday nights, Youth league at Greenslopes. So much skitching going on there, we are a very lively bunch and love to have fun. I think its ok to sledge, just not at someone or go up to someone and say "yeah thats right B***H did u see that F***ing shot." That is just not on. If its like "that was BullS**T" doesnt mind me.

I myself am a hand skitcher, nobody complains to any1 about me.

Phill