Sledging

TBA rulebook - Rule 210 talks about code of conduct guidelines, and lists infringements, including unfair advantage by "Sledging".

In my on line Thesaurus "sledging" is referred to as in cricket and defined as: "attempt by a batsman or bowler to undermine his opposition's confidence by verbal abuse".

Is it possible for "sledging" to be perceived in bowling as "making loud exclamations of enjoyment" rather than actual in your face abuse"?

Should a bowler be reprimanded for "yelling with delight" for instance after getting his or her 9th strike?

If the answer is yes............then its time I retired. :confused:

C'MON!!!

Signed "Lleyton Hewitt's Mother"

Every one hate's the Hewitt's.

Sledging i'm all for it "COME ON" :rolleyes:

Gary..................................

Gary is not the only one that would be in trouble.

I know I tend to make a little noise from time to time.

Ok most of the time.

Jayson Bundy

i dont mind ppl yelling and stuff, makes all a good and relaxing atmosphere. However i dont agree with skitching, its a bad habit and very distracting.

I dont see what is bad about getting all excited about a 9th frame strike, especially if it means the difference between say leading by 5 pins or down by 5 pins and in a position to snatch a win. Verbal abuse is not on, thats for sure and neither is skitching, that is probably one of the things that frustrates me the most

Gawd, if we hear of anyone being carded for getting fired up after banging in a nice pocket strike....what will come next?

Yes it would seem that you cant even yell woo or cmon after 7 or 8 in row any more without someone getting upset. People get Jellous these days and say you not aloud to do that thats breaking the rules. Theres nothing wrong with a bit of excitement or passion in your bowling, dont listen to them Little Weed, thats my advice.

If its directed at people than thats a different issue, thats gaining an un fair advantage.

Bowling is not only a sport, but also a social outlet/interaction for many people. It is great to see people fired up when they are bowling well & it's great to see team members getting behind eachother.

You should be able to fire up if you're on a roll. Sledging by way of verbal abuse or obscene gestures is definately NOT on & skitching is just plain annoying.....

Anyway just an opinion!!!

The only "skitching" i know of is when a skater holds on to the back of a car or bus, its very dangerous.

But thats obviously different than what's mentioned here, so please someone full us in

WHAT IS SKITCHING?

As I understand it ... and I may be wrong, skitching is the act of clapping your hands together once (sometimes at the pins, sometimes at the opponent) and sliding the top hand forward.

IS that right Hammer?

haha yeah your right Pete, geez who would do that...some people!!! [-X

Dont worry Ive never seen Hammer do anything like that :---)

skitching is also of the shoes... and there is apparently a TBA rule about it... but i have experienced in a number of tournaments whe "red cards will be given" that nothing is done about it, even when they're standing right behind your lanes, it's not a thing of who offends but it is becoming who you know...

in my opinion and i know in the opinions of many other jnrs aswel as the "older" bowlers there is nothing wrong with hand skitching... it is simply a way of saying "hey i'm bowling really well" or "hey i'm gettin cut here"... althou yer aiming it at your apponent is stupid...

The use of sledging (a personal attack whether verbal or gestured, designed to upset an opponent) should not have a place in any sport.

As for people having a problem with a person saying "C'mon" after, say, bowling 7 strikes in a row, then perhaps those whingers shouldn't be playing competitive sport.

I know cricket has its fair share of sledging... probably the reason I stopped playing it.

Just my thoughts

Michael Thompson

skitching and sledging is what makes bowling bowling! with out it.. it would be very boring.... but too much is annoying! ther eare limits its just people need to learn them, and there wouldnt be a problem!

Let us enjoy our sport or game or whatever we wish to call it!!! Could you even remotely imagine all competitors being utterly joyless about a night at league/tournament. Could you imagine an Association Challenge, President Shield, Rachuig, East Coast, Belmo in full flight without some sort of reaction? - you should hear Batesy's team on Wed. night (however, that is another matter - it is just a boy thing with them!!!!!!!) - cricket without Glen McGrath 'speaking' to a batsman, wicket keepers with their mouths shut, the Lions without Lynchy (oh! it has happened!)

'In your face' attitudes, bad behaviour and dummy spitting is not acceptable - loving the sport/game and showing it - IS!

Flower

Little weed,
This sounds like the situation that you and i both saw last night that was the result of the centre making a rule at the request of the league president! (No consultation with the league members!) That children and family members of bowlers were not allowed to walk into the bowlers area for any reason during play as well as severe penalties to be implemented for any players who make celebratory noises after a successful shot, or these infringements would result in a yellow/red card. (Fair enough about keeping people out of the players area i guess if the tournament or league is serious enough) Even though it doesnt bother me personally.

The league was last night the most boring unemotional event on the face of the earth. I have never had to try so hard to make something an enjoyable experience for myself in my hole life! No one was game to enjoy themselves! To top it off apparently the president had a whinge about me having a stir with one of the juniors during league! He did this after i left of course, after i said good bye to him! :confused: I will have to clear this up when i see him next! ;)

But the cutting point for me last night was when good old el presidente tugged on one of the league members childrens jacket to tell him to get back up near the tables because, wait for it, HE WAS LEANING ON THE BALL RACK BEHIND THE PLAYERS AREA WATCHING HIS DAD BOWL! Where do you draw the line, it was a disgrace, and if it was my kid the outcome would have been far more unpleasent!
Where is the line in the sand? A kid watches his dad bowl every week and idolises a couple of the better bowlers in the league and high fives them after shots and says how cool it is that he gets to sit and talk to them every week and they actually take the time to talk to him back, and says how he would like to be as good as them one day! TO ME THAT IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT, GETTING THE YOUNGSTERS KEEN AND EVERYONE HAVING A BLOODY GOOD TIME! Correct me if i have missed the point some where?

Now i tell you something else, i think that the centre i am talking about is probably one of the most welcoming professionally run centres in the country, and i have been to quite a lot so i can comment on it! Whenever you walk in you feel very welcome, it has a great family atmosphere where you just feel welcome all the time. There is a certain staff member there especially who makes this place feel so different, and half the complaints are unfortunately, UNNECESSARILY, I feel, directed at family members of this person and i think i could pin point the moment when i was playing with the kids in the family that caused the problem. I THINK IT HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH US HAVING FUN!
I am ranting now because i am getting pissed off again, so i will end with this and say that i hope the management of the centre in question has got the common sense not to stuff up a winning formula and start changing the rules of the place due to the petty insecurities of a minority! Don't start introducing new rules half way through a season and start to destroy a winning formula that has taken you a long time to build. Because believe me you will find out that it is a lot easier to destroy it than rebuild it! And if it wasn't for one person on your staff in particular, (even thought they are all great!) I personally wouldn't be nbowling in the centre any longer after this week and neither would my team. Which happens to be about 40 points in front of second, i wonder if that has anything to do with the complaints? ;)

Anyway sorry for the ranting but i am pretty pissed about it all. Especially about having to sign another code of conduct half way through the season!

Gee i really did rant on hey! :rolleyes:

PS Krystal, you know i like ya mate, but skitching and sledging is not what makes bowling bowling champ!

Ronnie