Shield Camp Rules

L

Lozz ('',)

Just thought i'd bring this up and see which shield team had the strictest rules for 2004.
When i was in the team in 03, they were pretty bad.... some of them were:
Phones in by 10:00.
No boys and girls in the same rooms unless there was a guardian.
In your own rooms by 9 i think.
Eating together with made lunch(i dunno if you could buy your own,probly not)
PLUS, in 2002 when the girls went shopping(about 10 of us), if one wanted to go into a shop, the rest had to follow or wait out the front... we were there for like, 3 hours!!!
In 2001, there was no phone rules, room rules, bed rules.......
This year was worse... every year they seem to be getting worse...
Hand in keys for your car(in bretts case, steering wheel)
Lights out at 10:00(never happened anyways)
and phones in by 10.
I also heard that one person got into troublew for going to the toilet and ordering their lunch and then being accused of not being a team supporter..
I thought shield was supposed to be fun, this is not fun.....
You have to have rules, yes, but people are going WAY overboard with this... especially the younger the bowlers the worse the rules. Thats not fair for the older ones....
Anyways, so i'd just like to see how bad other teams' rules are.....

Lauren

Lauren being in the team your talking about I have to say I think your taking it overboard.

Rules were, In your own room by 10:30, mobiles in at the same time! (Who wants to sit on their phone anyway? It's more fun to mix in with the team) Of course there was other rules, like no driving when your in camp etc The managers held full responsibility of us, what would happen if Brett drove off and had an accident?

There simple easy to follow rules for just 1 out of 52 weeks in the year, I hardly think its that harsh seeing the level of competition that were at.

Compared to some of the other teams i'd have to say ours was extremely relaxed and enjoyable.. I know I had fun!!

Lozz, Lozz, Lozz...

Can I make one point before I say anything else? I know what team your talking about, as you would only know rules for the one team you have been apart of, and I think Brett was the only Brett in shield (I may be wrong!!). But, if no-one has pointed this out to you, then I will. Last year, with your ultra strict rules, you may have noticed our boys team won. This year, with, as you said stupid rules, the team achieved the best result that we have EVER ACHIEVED! Maybe there is a reason for some of these rules...

Phones by 10- All it takes is one person to leave thier phone on, and one person sending an innocent message from another team, or maybe someone calling from outside of the bowling world, to wake up every other person in the house/unit/apartment. The team managers want us to perform for three consecutive days, three days that are very tiring and leave people buggered by the end of it. The last thing they want is a prank call at 1am to wake everyone staying in that room up. Hence the reason why phones are in at 10. Why 10? cause we had to get up by 6-7 to get their in time to bowl. The recommended amount sleep is 8 hours. Do the Math.

As for Bretts steering wheel, as far as I know, he choose to take it off. Personally, I would too, leaving a car in the suburb of Warilla for 4 days straight. As my dad says 'If there is nothing in there worth stealing, they probably wont steal anything' Brett took his steering wheel so that only a real idiot would even think about nicking his car. They are rather hard to drive without a steering wheel. The only reason we had to hand in the car keys was because, we are team and we travell together as a team. If Nationals was at Brisbane, then no-one wouldve brought their keys anyway. So this is a nothing rule they you have made a bigger thing out of then what it needed.

1 more thing...
I thought shield was supposed to be fun, this is not fun.....
How would you know? You weren't even in the team. I still had a great time, and as far as I know, so did everyone else in the team. Everyone that has a year left will be coming back next year, they wouldn't do that if they didnt enjoy themselves, or there some other reason, in their personal lives, that they couldn't work out as why they didn't.

Next time lozz, try asking one of the managers as for why the rules are rules. You know my parents well, ask them tonight at league if you any further questions, they would only be too happy to answer your questions.

Later Da Cowman!

My opinion - you join a team knowing the rules. If you dont like the rules, dont be in the team. Simple. End of discussion.

basically you have to have rules, otherwise things are going to get out of hand. if the managers and coaches dont care what their bowlers are doing, then the bowlers will stay up all night, most probably break something in the rooms lol, then bowl like s**t the next day. i can honestly say that i personally had the best nationals ever this year, and i followed the rules and got on fine with everyone.

and Graham, what you said is exactly right, if you dont like it, no one is literally forcing you to be there, so you know where the door is, just leave. its your choice

any ways i cant wait to go back next year!!!!!!!!

matty kanafa

i agree with matty kanafa on this in syaing that this was the best nationals ever (mind you ive only been to one :D :D ). The rules for the WA team werent strict but they werent easy so you could get away with them. We had curfues around 10 each night (9 on the nights ov shield), phones in by curfue and we had set times for light out. They were good rules and were easy to follow.

Being my first year ov nationals and seeing how obeying our rules played out, i dont ever want to grow out of the juniors because it is just too much fun.

Who cares how "strict" the rules are...they are there for your benefit, no one elses. As steve said, the rules are there to help us perform better in shield and playing against tough teams such as ACT/SNSW and SA, you really need them.

Cheers

Hey...
Ive only been to nats twice, and I thoroughly enjoyed the both of them. Especially this years ones...phone rules didnt seem as strict this year coz everyone in my cabin had theirs each night. But I can understand all the rules that are layed out by managers and coaches. They want us to bowl our best and I also want to bowl my best...so I just obey the rules.
Even with the rules, you can have fun in camp, coz I sure as hell know that I did... :wink:
It was my first year of Shield and I will be coming back til I age out...rules are just all part and parcel.

Jen

Back
Top Bottom