Sharp Youth Tournament vs AMF

Easy Tiger

Hi all,

Well, Sharp Youth, a nationally ranked youth tournament, is scheduled to be held next month, on the 15th & 16th of October at AMF Greenslopes Lanes, in Brisbane.

As most of you are no doubt aware, there has been no word on this tournament from anyone and no entry form. Tonight I rang Greenslopes and asked why.

AMF want to cancel this tournament. Now at the moment, it is not cancelled, but AMF want to chop it this year. AMF as everyone knows slashed the nsw ranking tour earlier this year. A post put up a couple of hours ago by Glenn Rowland shows the Youth circuit for 2006 - and it's been cut to 5 events, and Queensland is not included in any way. Therefore it would seem logical that this is the last year that the Sharp tournament would run.

Being a Queenslander I am naturally not happy about this move, and I am sure there are many other youth bowlers from here that are not happy about this either. We have some amazing youth talent here, and it's a shame to lose a home tournament.

For everyone that wants to see youth bowling remain a growing force, I would encourage you to jump in and give your support behind this tournament. Even if the tournament isn't held again after this year, I'd love to see it go ahead this year. I would love to see posts supporting the tournament here from bowlers from all over the country, to show that we are passionate about not just the future of this sport, but rather that we are passionate about bowling now in the present time. The future never comes, but the present is always upon us, so let's do something in the present. Ring Greenslopes on 07 3397 6191 and put your name down to place support. Ring, post, do whatever it takes, but we need to give the message to AMF that bowling as a sport is what counts.

Tim Reichel.

Just a quick question....
How much oil will be put down for the tournemant, and what length will the oil go to..........Queensland has a very bad reputation for running very light oiling patterns,so i was just interested........

Cheers for now

Paul K.

For qld bowlers sake, i think this needs to go ahead, this will be my first youth tournament for the year, only because its at home. Im sure a lot of other juniors and youth bowlers in qld wanna see how they can go against all the big interstate bowlers before they invest in 1000's of dollars worth of travel, bowling and accomodation expenses. If sharp goes, there will be nothing left for youth bowlers in Qld

Come on, how is Youth and Junior bowling supposed to improve when they are cutting all the events? Just as I was looking into going to this tourney...

Youth Tournaments are being cut and slashed because they advertise 60 entries for example and 30-45 turn up which isnt good...

but I dont agree... sharp seem to get the numbers year after year

Bowling in australia is too expense

I've asked many centres for bulk buy games but no one is interested

if we lose sharp we will have nothing to bowl in which will suck, and theres normally a good amount of oil on the lane at greenslopes, and yes i want to bowl in it.

luke green

Ive already booked my flights to come up for Sharp

Its a shame that AMF cannot see that what they are doing is killing this sport

Oh come on!!! What is happening to our tournaments???!!!??
I have been waiting for the entry forms & wondering what was happening - I had planned on travelling up & bowling Sharpe this year. Let's hope it goes ahead!!!

Good news Potter, Sharp is now confirmed as on, as per my post this morning here . For all the details, view that post.

Thanks to all the people who posted support for the tournament here. Let's get behind it and make it a fantastic success.

Back
Top Bottom