Shameful Strikes

MinusZero

>LOAD "Something",8,1
On Monday when i was bowling i felt ashamed when i got a strike when the point of impact was on the 4 pins. It was one of the worst deliveries i bowled but all the pins toppled onto each other with the 1 pin going down last.

Was pleasing in the that it made a double, but i was embarrassed with how it happened.

Anyone else had some shocking strikes which happened when there is no way they should have? :D

Well of course we all have and hopefully still do. Up our way we prefer to think of them as entertaining strikes, or Crowd pleasers if you will, and accept them as compensation for the PURRFECT pocket shots we are ROBBED on.

Got back to back dominoes (1-2-4 last pins to fall) in a tournament once which really pissed my opponent off, especially when I turned around said "Oh did the machine hit that, I didn't see it" :?
He turned around left the cold 8 next shot, which meant he couldn't win the match.
I turned and looked at him and said in my most non patronising voice I could find "Mate, you were really unlucky there" :lol:
This is the look I got back :x

When I was in juniors I got a strike by only hitting the 7-pin which bounced of the back and torpedoed the rest.
The way they fell it was like Coleman was down the back belting them with the pin hook.

We had conditions in Mt Gambier for a while going back a few yrs where you couldn't gutter if you tried. I lost a shot way right one night but the dry boards pulled it up before the ditch, it kind of bit, hooked then rolled out in front of the pins and carried a a super soft hit with the 8-10 barely toppling with me head in hands at the line. I'll even admit i didn't deserve that one, probably just as well someone 'tampered' with the old Century100 a while after that to take the big dry area away(thats what i think happened and i'm sticking to it!! :twisted: )

Strikes are strikes... regardless of how they fall! If every ball that hit the pocket was a strike, there would be millions more 300 games bowled...

Btw, has anyone ever bowled the perfect ball and the 5 pin is left standing untouched? Food for thought!

Don't ya just love it when you see the opponent's face when u know you have bowled a really crap delivery and it strikes? Priceless Kodak moments - especially when you act unfazed and act like it was planned! :lol:

Last night i went through the head pin more on the left hand side (im a righty) and the 9pin fell on the 10. 10 fell on the 6 .. 6 fell on the 3 .. omg i laughed my head off its was a cheesy strike but it was funny!

Last week i put in a rather terrible shot, the 5 pin came off the wall and destroyed the 9 and 10 pin which was left standing. If it wasnt for ball speed it wouldnt have stood a chance.

In response to BicTrev's query about leaving a 5 pin ontouched on a 'perfect' shot - I think all strokers can say yes to that one.

One shot I had a few weeks back - I belted the pocket, every other pin scattered, the 5 pin had a serious wobble to it but refused to fall. This is what I call a 'standing 9 count' - using some boxing terminology to refer to a stunned pin that refuses to lie down.

Of course this could be applied to any single pin that wobbles, but the more wobble the pin has the better.

David.

Sure the fingers were in the ball ? did it really hit the 1-3 pocket? and are you bowling with 8 pound gear? :lol:

Were the fingers in the ball? My fingertips said yes, as they felt the shot.

Did the ball hit the 1-3 pocket? Video replays suggested definitely.

Was I using 8-lb gear? The weight scales sure said 15lb when the ball was drilled.

And to prompt another question, was I using a plastic? No, this was a freshly drilled Charge ball from Storm, which made a definite move at the pocket.

To use some physics terminology, the video replays I mentioned earlier suggested that the 5-pin got hit from more than 1 direction at the same time (ball + 2 pins from opposing directions), the forces of these hits almost cancelled eachother out. The net effective hit was then only enough to wobble the pin, but not enough to knock it over.

The other mentionable hit I got (also with the charge) was when I smashed the pocket, but left the 3 pin standing. It was on the 10 pin spot, it was wobbling, but video replays of the pin action confirmed it to be the 3-pin. All I could do was laugh.

Were the fingers in the ball? My fingertips said yes, as they felt the shot.

Did the ball hit the 1-3 pocket? Video replays suggested definitely.

Was I using 8-lb gear? The weight scales sure said 15lb when the ball was drilled.

And to prompt another question, was I using a plastic? No, this was a freshly drilled Charge ball from Storm, which made a definite move at the pocket.

To use some physics terminology, the video replays I mentioned earlier suggested that the 5-pin got hit from more than 1 direction at the same time (ball + 2 pins from opposing directions), the forces of these hits almost cancelled eachother out. The net effective hit was then only enough to wobble the pin, but not enough to knock it over.

The other mentionable hit I got (also with the charge) was when I smashed the pocket, but left the 3 pin standing. It was on the 10 pin spot, it was wobbling, but video replays of the pin action confirmed it to be the 3-pin. All I could do was laugh.

Mmm, i feel i have one to add (not that the 3 brooklyn's in a row in the 2nd game to finish with the last 5 isnt worthy eh andrew? :lol: )

Last game, my thumb had swollen to monumental proportions which was strange because i was making an effort not to grip with the thumb tonight, anyway, after my huge effort in the last game to bag out (lol, sorry again andrew :) ) I was stuffed. So who came to my rescue? andrew of course! and his 13 pound manhatten rubber! :)

I only had to give my thumb a couple of frames to settle down (which it did), the first short i put into the gutter (first time i bowled with it) the next shot i put out to about 2 board at which point it flipped, bounced off the dry (what dry there was at 45 feet), came right back past the headpin (just clipping it) and smashing into the 2 pin. All that reaction pretty much sent all the pins right and they all just fell over like a wave of water hit them. Worst strike ever, but at the same time the best because it covered so many boards (standing on 40 playing through 20) and still carried.

Once again, sorry for my shamefull display andrew, good playing you though pal, I actually enjoyed the night :) I might even have to change my location soon :twisted:

Edit: You may laugh beanie but that 3 pin isnt a 3 pin, it's a 10 pin! :lol: I know those nights, bowling league at legends one night (a friday) i had 2 (as in the figure 2 not the actual pin) pins which came out of the gutter and stood up around the 9 pin spot. One was picked up and spotted, the other was out and got knocked over. Both happened in the same game, both happened on lane 10 :)

Back
Top Bottom