Seniors World Selection

jmorris

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am the coordinator of the national seniors representative committee. The committee comprises of a representative from each state and myself the purpose of the committee is to have a voice and liaise with TBA to ensure our interests are taken into account. My role is to liaise with Senior Bowlers and the committee and advise and provide feedback to TBA.

The last 2 tournaments I have been accosted on the lanes while I am trying to compete and had people complaining to me about how TBA got it wrong. I have overheard and now read on Total Bowling a lot of discussion and have decided to set the record straight. Whether we were right or wrong this committee did our best to gain as much feedback and input given the short space of time that was needed to select teams.
So here are the facts about the Worlds Seniors Selection: -

· When the late release of the World Championships was made public, TBA in consultation with the seniors sub-committee decided that the best way to pick the team for this event only was to use bowler’s best two results of the first 3 events.

· All 3 tournament organisers were asked not told to assist in laying a WTBA pattern. All of them agreed to co-operate which was fantastic. They were told they could choose any WTBA pattern they liked. There are currently 12 patterns on the WTBA website to choose from. TBA told all tournament organisers that it was not their intention to make the scores low or the conditions unplayable. Feel free to experiment with the patterns and choose the one that in your opinion matches up best to the centre and is the most playable. All were happy with this. TBA did not choose any of the lane conditions that were laid and left it to the tournament committee and centre to work together and advise TBA of the pattern they had chosen.

As I explained to many people this was a one off exercise of selection due to the shortness of time. TBA has asked the committee to start discussions on the selection criteria of the world teams to compete in 2015. I hope this post clears the air however I will not be entering into debate with anyone. What’s done is done we can only move forward and improve for 2015.
For those bowlers who would like to have constructive input to future tournament seniors issues please contact your state representative and provide your email address.
Thank you and regards,
Jill Morris

Im not a senior and apparently not allowed to even be in here let alone comment, however the above explanation sounds pretty self explanatory to me and fair enough Jill.

Can i ask was this information known prior to the first tournament? If not, could it have been made available in a formal way to maybe avoid some of the drama both on the lanes and within Total Bowling.

Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am the coordinator of the national seniors representative committee. The committee comprises of a representative from each state and myself the purpose of the committee is to have a voice and liaise with TBA to ensure our interests are taken into account. My role is to liaise with Senior Bowlers and the committee and advise and provide feedback to TBA.

The last 2 tournaments I have been accosted on the lanes while I am trying to compete and had people complaining to me about how TBA got it wrong. I have overheard and now read on Total Bowling a lot of discussion and have decided to set the record straight. Whether we were right or wrong this committee did our best to gain as much feedback and input given the short space of time that was needed to select teams.
So here are the facts about the Worlds Seniors Selection: -

· When the late release of the World Championships was made public, TBA in consultation with the seniors sub-committee decided that the best way to pick the team for this event only was to use bowler’s best two results of the first 3 events.

· All 3 tournament organisers were asked not told to assist in laying a WTBA pattern. All of them agreed to co-operate which was fantastic. They were told they could choose any WTBA pattern they liked. There are currently 12 patterns on the WTBA website to choose from. TBA told all tournament organisers that it was not their intention to make the scores low or the conditions unplayable. Feel free to experiment with the patterns and choose the one that in your opinion matches up best to the centre and is the most playable. All were happy with this. TBA did not choose any of the lane conditions that were laid and left it to the tournament committee and centre to work together and advise TBA of the pattern they had chosen.

As I explained to many people this was a one off exercise of selection due to the shortness of time. TBA has asked the committee to start discussions on the selection criteria of the world teams to compete in 2015. I hope this post clears the air however I will not be entering into debate with anyone. What’s done is done we can only move forward and improve for 2015.
For those bowlers who would like to have constructive input to future tournament seniors issues please contact your state representative and provide your email address.
Thank you and regards,
Jill Morris
Well Said Jill, thank you Barb

Thanks Jill for posting this information. Can you advise names of other state delegates?
Brenda kirkwood
WA Seniors delegate

Well said Jill. I think it is a shame that bowlers make grievances to "committee members" on the lanes. When on the lanes, all are bowlers only and grievances or questions should only be made to "committee members" OFF the lanes.

Also Jill, thank you for taking the time to take our photos (such as they are) in Melbourne for the Asian Seniors tournament. You are doing a great job, especially since you are one of the bowlers and trying to compete at your best.

Annie

Jill. Your commentary is well put (as always) and based on what you have said, which wasn't generally known, puts the situation in a slightly different light but my view remains the same, a specific and separate roll off should have been held to select the world team. One question that remains outstanding, which I will put to the ACT organising committee in a couple of weeks is why the pattern wasn't changed as suggested (not committed) at the AO. If TBA are only suggesting a WTBA pattern, it shouldn't have been difficult to make a change for Tuggeranong.

Notwithstanding this, I agree the discussion should be conducted off the lanes and should not be targeted at individuals. A wise person once said "focus on the process" and I think that is what we should be doing here. If we get the process right for 2015, the problem goes away.

See you in Canberra.
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom